U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,124,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
yes because for a very long-time in my life whenever i applied for a job, i could not even get an interview in the first place, but lately the past 8 months i've been getting them
huh?

To be clear, I was specifically answering the OP's question:

If a person is at least getting job interviews, but not getting hired, what does that mean specifically? (job offer, application).

A possible answer is poor hygiene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM

18,798 posts, read 9,617,882 times
Quote:
yes i know that those 3 traits are imperative to succeed in job interviews, but the answers i say, give matter to as well, so i want to know how my answers are
I did answer a few for you. Did you not see?

I had another thread open. If you get interviews but no offer, that means your interview skill needs some significant improvement.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 4,726,731 times
Quote:
Yes I did, but i would like feedback as to the answers I gave to those interview questions
Those are not answers to the questions. They want a specific time.

STAR

Situation
Task
Action
Result

"Tell me about a time when you helped out someone without being told?"

One time while I was working at target a fellow associate needed help getting a large television from the back room (Situation/Task)

I noticed she was struggling so I asked her if I could help her deliver the TV to the customer at the front of the store (Action).

She readily accepted and I helped her load the tv onto a dolly and deliver the TV to the customer. We were able to successfully load the TV in the customers car and both my associate and the customer thanked me for the help. (Result)

Almost all of your responses are extremely vague and they do not follow the STAR method. This is partially your fault and partially the interviewers. They should have guided you into giving STAR responses.

You've never had a disagreement with a co-worker? Turn that on it's head and talk about a task based disagreement instead of relationship based. Talk about a time you had differing opinions on how to execute a business strategy. I could answer that question with my experience at a grocery store. I thought stacking the overstock on the pallet in one particular way would be more effective and a coworker thought stacking another way would be more effective. If you say you have never had a disagreement that is an immediate red flag, everyone has.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I had another thread open. If you get interviews but no offer, that means your interview skill needs some significant improvement.
That's not true.

Sometimes, a company may interview 10 top candidates, and all of them may interview well. Unfortunately, only one person can be selected for the one position.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,381,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's not true.

Sometimes, a company may interview 10 top candidates, and all of them may interview well. Unfortunately, only one person can be selected for the one position.
and thats more of a space issue, as in not enough room to hire all of them? or just only wanting the best one? or both?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I did answer a few for you. Did you not see?

well i wasn't asking you to answer the job interview questions for me, i was asking for you to look at the answers and tell me if they are good or bad answers? but it won't shock me, surprise me if i gave negative, bad answers

Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 PM

18,798 posts, read 9,617,882 times
Quote:
well i wasn't asking you to answer the job interview questions for me, i was asking for you to look at the answers and tell me if they are good or bad answers? but it won't shock me, surprise me if i gave negative, bad answers
I didn't like you answers so I re-wrote some for you as examples.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
Quote:
and thats more of a space issue, as in not enough room to hire all of them? or just only wanting the best one? or both?
Both.

They're going to hire who they perceive to be the best person.

If all 10 candidates interviewed well for one position, I imagine the person making the hiring decision will do one of two things. They'll bring them back for some other type of interview to try and trip some of them up (I.E., asking them what type of animal they think they are, what's their favorite color, stupid questions like that), or they'll just select the candidate they want based strictly on their qualifications.

But it is way too simplistic and flawed to assume someone didn't get a job simply because they don't interview well, especially in times of high unemployment.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't like you answers so I re-wrote some for you as examples.
Thank you, nice to know, but some of those questions regarding situations that happend in the work-place are hard to answer since i don't have much work experience, but i'm sure for the other questions, they can be answers from situations that occured outside the work-place

Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Also, during the holidays, when retail employers like Target are hiring seasonal employees, i guess that also means that retail employers around the holidays are likely to overlook a mediocre job interview performance as well, because i feel that the more interviews a person goes through, the more they are stepping out of their comfort-zone, overcoming anxiety, but yet my interview during October last year was enough to get me hired for my Target seasonal temporary job, but the way i presented myself during interviews since January of this year up to July, it was not enough to get me hired, so seasonal temporary jobs, you can have a mediocre interview, but not for a permanent job position right either full-time or part-time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or