U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,004,789 times

Advertisements

I know I need to be sensitive because some people just want any offer. I'm lucky because I have a decent opportunity in front of me. To summarize:

Company A has told me to expect a written offer on Monday. This was actually the second company I interviewed with since I started job searching 3 weeks ago. However, Company A spawned this discussion thread. The "How do You Feel About Overtime?" question So I'm a little worried about the expectations. I did get to the point and ask what's expected, and they said about 45-50 hours a week is the norm, but it could surge higher than that at times (the whole reason they are hiring now is to reduce the workload on the current employees). Company A an industry I am not passionate about. But on the other hand it's a very respected and stable company. So on a scale of 1-10, it's a 6 in terms of attractiveness.

But ...

I had a phone interview with an executive from Company B on Monday. It went well, and I was invited to meet with people here in the local office. However, they want me to wait 10 days, because the executive I interviewed with will be in town at that time. Company B is in the industry that I'm in now and its an industry that I like. If I were to get an offer it would be a 9 in terms of attractiveness.

I also met with a recruiter today, and she is going to submit my resume for consideration at three other companies. From the little I know about those companies, the attractiveness to me would be in the 6-7 range (similar to Company A).

So the timing for Company A's offer is not the best. However, two years ago when I was looking for a new job, it took six months to find a suitable position. I don't know if the economy has gotten that much better, or if I just hit the jackpot with Company A in terms of getting an offer so soon..

I rate my current job as a 2, due to company instability and office politics. There is also a good chance I could get laid off in the next couple months. So moving to Company A would be a definite step up.

What is the best way to handle this situation? I want to be ethical with Company A, but I also want to keep Company B in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
What is the best way to handle this situation? I want to be ethical with Company A, but I also want to keep Company B in the mix.
Depends what your definition of ethical is. If you think it would be unethical to accept a job and then take another one you probably have to either accept the position and forget about the others or turn down A and hope for the best with the other places.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,754,313 times
I don't see any ethical way that you can ask Company A to hold off on your answer until you know what will happen with Company B.

I also don't know of any ethical way you can accept Company A's offer, continue to be in consideration (and perhaps be offered and accept a position) with Company B and then decline Company A's offer.

But truthfully, I also don't see that the word "ethical" applies to either one of these scenarios. If you accept A and then turn it down if/when you're offered a position with B, they'll just move onto the next candidate. Life moves on and so does business. Ethics don't enter into the mix as far as I am concerned.

Honestly I just think that you have to do whatever is in your own personal best interests. You have to take care of #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search