U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,019,506 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an interview like this before?

I go in to this place, really dumpy, receptionist wearing a t-shirt and lip ring....but thats a different story.

Any how, guy I meet with brings me in to a room. What he does is basically go on about the company for about 15-20 minutes, and his opinions on the current processes and how the person he hires might fit. I managed to squeeze in a couple words edgewise during this whole process, basically recommending a piece of software I have experience with and agreeing with a couple of his observations.

He then looks at his watch, and abrubtly smacks his hand on my resume and says "I know who you are, now let me tell you how this process is going to go....". He then proceeded to tell me just how many people interviewed for the job, when he was expecting them to come in, how dissapointed he was with the response, and that he might repost the add. He also states several times that he will either be sending a rejection letter out or calling. I dont know if it was just me being pesimistic, but he seemed to emphasize rejection letter, and it seemed by the way he talked that nor me or the girl he interviewed before me were going to be getting the call. Either he had the greatest of poker face in history, or he was basically telling me I wasnt getting the job right there on the spot.

I have never been in an interview where I was not asked a single question, not even so much as a "how can you help our company". I dont think I was able to get in more than 50 words total from the time I shook his hand at meeting to the time I shook his hand at leaving. Anyone else ever had something like this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM

28,513 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Assuming he has some actual skill related to the work being done...
this is about par for a small company trying to act big for some reason.

"Hey Tom... you're gonna have to work with the new guy most. You interview them"

Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,794,763 times
Oh, yeah... professional behavior has gone right out the window these days:

1) I had a company call me about an engineering position they thought I'd be a good fit for... and then they skipped out on both phone interviews and acted offended when I called and emailed them both times asking, "Um, what happened?" I finally got to an on-site, the HR rep "forgot" to give me an application, and I got a rejection letter mailed to me the next day. Thanks for wasting my time.

2) There was the interview at the local manufacturing company who flat-out told me, "Uhhh... we'll be laying everyone off in several months..." So, why did they waste my time with an on-site interview?!

3) The larger local engineering company where I learned that: the automated resume filter system was set up to screen out ALL applicants... the engineering manager was infuriated when he learned this and demanded to interview some candidates. I made it to the on-site, which was a 4-hour tour of the entire facility where I basically saw and met everyone of importance... after being told, "Well, all the other jobs we've been posting for the past 1.5 years have been fake, but THIS TIME we're going to hire somebody!" - guess what? They didn't hire anyone! Right...

4) The local community college where the interviewers were so grossly unprepared for the interview and unable to communicate it was laughable... but the guy running the show was the son of the department manager, so I guess that explains it.

Yeah... it's all a sick joke these days.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
I've had a few weird interviews like that. I walked out of two of them.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,815,839 times
This is why I am always surprised when people say you need to ace the interview to get an offer from a company. Many times, there are no way you can ace the interview because of situations as described by the OP. When the interviewer is so incompetent and doesn't even ask questions, how can you ace the interview?

Also, I want to mention that in my college years, investment banks came on campus to do interviews but had no open positions at all and had no intention of hiring anyone. The investment banks only did the interviews to maintain a good relationship with the colleges not to actually hire anyone.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
This is why I am always surprised when people say you need to ace the interview to get an offer from a company. Many times, there are no way you can ace the interview because of situations as described by the OP. When the interviewer is so incompetent and doesn't even ask questions, how can you ace the interview?
Thats what I was thinking the whole time, like "How on earth am I supposed to tell you what I can do for you, or how I can help you out, if you arent even interested in hearing what I have to say, and made up your mind based on my resume or how I look".

I would have to rank that interview next to the pop verbal accounting quiz interview as the most screwed up ones Ive ever been privy to in my life. At least I could say that the accounting job was at least trying to find someone qualified by issuing that test, so their brain was at least in the right place.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,660,225 times
That is really weird. I haven't experienced anything like that, but I feel that it would be pretty awkward.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM

380 posts, read 1,014,371 times
I've had weird interviews like this as well. Some interviewers don't know how to interview. And many people lack professionalism. Just shake it off and move on.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I've had weird interviews like this as well. Some interviewers don't know how to interview. And many people lack professionalism. Just shake it off and move on.
Weirdest thing.....I just got called for a second interview, and I think that means likely have the job....

If I get that job, that will be the weirdest job I ever managed to swindle, and the second job where it seemed the interview was pretty much just a formality.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 PM

57 posts, read 226,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Weirdest thing.....I just got called for a second interview, and I think that means likely have the job....

If I get that job, that will be the weirdest job I ever managed to swindle, and the second job where it seemed the interview was pretty much just a formality.
Second interview hardly means you got the job. Might be they narrowed the applicant pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or