U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would an applicant with an arm full of tats get the job if you were hiring
I would not hire someone with that many visible tattoos 35 47.30%
The tattoos would make no difference in my hiring decision 36 48.65%
I would be more likely to hire the applicant with tattoos 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Even if this person would be hired to directly interact with customers, I would still have no problem with it. If a customer is going to have a problem with my employee solely on his or her ink without any regard to performance, then that's a customer I don't want or need.
My company only works on half a dozen jobs a year. They are what pay the bills. If I lose one of them, I'm going to lay off 15-20% of my workforce. I can't take the chance that a customer will find something offensive about one of my employees and not give my company work as a result. I'd rather keep people working than accommodate a potential hires "personal expression."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,142 posts, read 45,675,592 times
Reputation: 61842
I can't like any of the choices.
If the tattoo guy was the most fabulous candidate for the job, I would hire him. If he wasn't, that would be a strike against him.
The title of the post confuses me, though. If it's a white collar job, then the shirt would have long sleeves to hide the tattoos, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,142 posts, read 45,675,592 times
Reputation: 61842
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I helped to hire a woman for a professional sales position selling to banks and credit unions. Part of the job required going into 10 bank branches a day to drop off marketing material and talking to the branch manager. This woman interviewed well, dressed professionally in pants suits, but showed up for her first day on the job wearing a skirt. Which then revealed the huge snake tattoo that went up her leg from her ankle to past her knee. There is no way I would have approved her for hire if I had seen the tattoo first.
I agree. If I see a woman with tattoos, right or wrong, I assume she was drunk when she got them, or otherwise has bad judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:32 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,520,186 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree. If I see a woman with tattoos, right or wrong, I assume she was drunk when she got them, or otherwise has bad judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,142 posts, read 45,675,592 times
Reputation: 61842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I'm guessing you have tattoos? Wake up and smell the coffee, Gatsby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 PM
 
15,554 posts, read 13,550,797 times
Reputation: 21342
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My company only works on half a dozen jobs a year. They are what pay the bills. If I lose one of them, I'm going to lay off 15-20% of my workforce. I can't take the chance that a customer will find something offensive about one of my employees and not give my company work as a result. I'd rather keep people working than accommodate a potential hires "personal expression."
But I bet you are more than willing to have customers who do have tattoos?

There are people who get offended over everything ranging from the waiter is Russian, to the HVAC tech is a woman, to the sod layers are Mexican; it is like trying to go through mine field not to offend people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,181 posts, read 16,667,981 times
Reputation: 12336
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The title of the post confuses me, though. If it's a white collar job, then the shirt would have long sleeves to hide the tattoos, right?
This gets me as well. If I'm hiring for an office environment I would be turned off by the fact that the applicant showed up in short sleeves regardless of what they exposed.

Aside from that, I'd be more likely to hire someone with ink if he or she was working in an environment where they wouldn't be interacting with customers. I make no personal judgements against what people choose to do with their bodies, but some people do; if I were to open a business my goal would be to build wealth for myself and provide a living for my employees. If having a guy covered with tats could potentially cost me even one customer I can't risk it.

Some people get it. When I worked at a big lumberyard I had an employee out in the yard who was a hard worker, wonderful with customers, and had flames up and down his arms. He was intelligent enough to understand that a lot of people who shop there wouldn't like his ink, so without even being asked he wore long sleeve shirts every day of the year to cover it up. Because I appreciated his professionalism I would usually try to find something for him to do on the hot days where he wouldn't have much customer contact and order him to shed the long sleeves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But I bet you are more than willing to have customers who do have tattoos?

There are people who get offended over everything ranging from the waiter is Russian, to the HVAC tech is a woman, to the sod layers are Mexican; it is like trying to go through mine field not to offend people.
Some of my customers employees have tattoos, but the key decision makers, if they have them they keep them covered. They are paying me, so I don't care if they look like The Lizardman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,902,566 times
Reputation: 5583
It depends on what else he can offer.

Most likely, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This gets me as well. If I'm hiring for an office environment I would be turned off by the fact that the applicant showed up in short sleeves regardless of what they exposed.

Aside from that, I'd be more likely to hire someone with ink if he or she was working in an environment where they wouldn't be interacting with customers. I make no personal judgements against what people choose to do with their bodies, but some people do; if I were to open a business my goal would be to build wealth for myself and provide a living for my employees. If having a guy covered with tats could potentially cost me even one customer I can't risk it.

Some people get it. When I worked at a big lumberyard I had an employee out in the yard who was a hard worker, wonderful with customers, and had flames up and down his arms. He was intelligent enough to understand that a lot of people who shop there wouldn't like his ink, so without even being asked he wore long sleeve shirts every day of the year to cover it up. Because I appreciated his professionalism I would usually try to find something for him to do on the hot days where he wouldn't have much customer contact and order him to shed the long sleeves.
A lot of my shop employees have tattoos, I don't care about that. Most of my customers never come to my shop. But my professional, customer facing people are a different story. I think they all have tattoos, I know some of them do, but I can't see them under their business attire, so I could care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top