U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would an applicant with an arm full of tats get the job if you were hiring
I would not hire someone with that many visible tattoos 35 47.30%
The tattoos would make no difference in my hiring decision 36 48.65%
I would be more likely to hire the applicant with tattoos 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,686,746 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't make any difference to me. While I occasionally hire people, my clients don't ever meet them, so whether they're tattooed all over their bodies matters not at all. Even if I were hiring someone to meet with my clients face-to-face, I'd like to think that it wouldn't matter... my client is hiring me for my expertise and talent, not for whether I (or those representing me) have body art.

I'm a woman with a small tattoo on my inner wrist. I was not drunk when I got it; I went with someone very close to me and we got matching tattoos after talking and thinking about it for a year. She is like a daughter to me and she now lives halfway across the world; I miss her a lot. I see my tattoo every single day, many times per day, and I absolutely don't regret it; I anticipate that I never will. To say that any woman with a tattoo must have been drunk or exercising bad judgment is offensive and narrow-minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM

810 posts, read 1,521,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm guessing you have tattoos? Wake up and smell the coffee, Gatsby.
Actually, you guess wrong. On my first post (assuming you didn't read it,) I mentioned that I myself don't have any tattoos or piercings. I just consider myself intelligent enough to not base a decision on body ink and instead base it on skills and what they have to offer.

Now, who needs to smell the coffee? The person who can discern skills over tattoos, or someone who believes that women with tattoos "must have got them with drunk?"

Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM

461 posts, read 802,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
double face palm image
I have to agree with that sentiment.

I was very sober and very aware of what tattoos I was getting. While I do not have full sleeve or anything offensive, I have 3 tattoos and 2 of them are semi-visible tattoos. One behind my ear and one on the back of my neck. Sure my hair covers them, but I generally don't wear my hair down.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 AM

101 posts, read 277,936 times
So far about sixty percent of the people would not hire him. If that is similar to hiring managers all over corporate America Mr. Tattoo is going to have a longer job hunt than the average person without an arms full of tattoos.
In today's tough economy which may be the new normal for years to come it looks like we will have a new underclass of people struggling even harder to find a job as more and more people get large visible tats.

* If tattoos are so maninstream and attractive then why are many people hiding them?

Last edited by Jobless and Broke; 07-28-2012 at 03:59 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,819,740 times
It wouldn't matter to me. There are many airline pilots with tattoos out there, they just wear the long sleeve uniform option. I had a surgeon work on me and he had a tattoo on his forearm he didn't cover. It didn't matter, he did an excellent job. What I'm getting at is there are people in positions of incredible responsibility that do their job no less effectively due to having tattoos. Personally, I'm not a fan of them- but I don't see what bearing it has on one's job ability or professionalism.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,834,670 times
Why wasn't this person wearing a jacket and a long sleeve shirt? Almost sounds like they were trying to show off the tattoos on purpose. That would make me think twice. And for the record I have and like tattoos.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,914,554 times
Has anyone considered the fact that some folks with tattoos didn't get their tattoos until after they were hired in?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,096,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
So far about sixty percent of the people would not hire him. If that is similar to hiring managers all over corporate America Mr. Tattoo is going to have a longer job hunt than the average person without an arms full of tattoos.
Not unless he wears a suit like a normal interviewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
If tattoos are so maninstream and attractive then why are many people hiding them?
Because it's still not considered professional in the workplace. I am all for self expression and I am a tattoo fan, but there's a time and a place for them, with the office being a good place to keep most covered.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 PM

9,522 posts, read 14,874,189 times
Assuming they aren't prison or gang tats, wouldn't make a difference to me. But I think most employers are turned off. And even in my very relaxed office I don't see many people with visible tats, certainly no one with an armful.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,870,393 times
In the music, sports and entertainment industry, it would probably fly if you were an entertainer on the side.
Corporate would reject you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or