Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would an applicant with an arm full of tats get the job if you were hiring
I would not hire someone with that many visible tattoos 35 47.30%
The tattoos would make no difference in my hiring decision 36 48.65%
I would be more likely to hire the applicant with tattoos 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,108,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
No this is not an anti tattoo thread like you have seen so many times before. Instead, it is a thread about human nature and hiring decisions.

I was talking to a friend who was hiring for a purchasing job and he had hundreds of applicants apply and he brought in six people. One guy came in with no suit jacket and a short sleeve shirt. His entire right arm was filled with tattoos. He interviewed well and the hiring manager said nothing about his tattoos but was turned off by them.

I wonder how many people who have decided to have tons of tattoos but are looking for office jobs are discriminated against without them knowing it.

Managers: would an arm full of tattoos discourage you from hiring someone for an office job that requires a college degree and professsional experience? Would you ever tell the applicant you did not hire them because of their many tatttoos?
I'm not a manager, but I did just get hired by an employer that does not allow visible tattoos. I think it is smart to cover them, if possible, for an interview, and on the first day of work, until you know the company policy. I don't think I'd discriminate based on the fact that the person has tattoos, but it might be a strike against the person that they weren't smart enough to cover them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,641,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Which have go be covered while in uniform so they are not visible, by regulation. She the pattern here?
Oh really? I know that tattoos in uniform aren't encouraged at all, but can you to point me to which regulation, in any branch, that outright bans any and all tattoos in uniform? There are some regulations that place limitations on tattoos but nowhere is it stated that all tats have to be covered up, or worse yet, banned outright. That day is coming, though.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I helped to hire a woman for a professional sales position selling to banks and credit unions. Part of the job required going into 10 bank branches a day to drop off marketing material and talking to the branch manager. This woman interviewed well, dressed professionally in pants suits, but showed up for her first day on the job wearing a skirt. Which then revealed the huge snake tattoo that went up her leg from her ankle to past her knee. There is no way I would have approved her for hire if I had seen the tattoo first.
Does your company have a policy about visible tattoos? Maybe you need one. She could wear pants and it wouldn't be an issue. This seems like a better route than just disqualifying someone who would otherwise be a good employee.
~~~~~~

It bothers me when people talk about tattoos as if they are all the same, one size fits all. As is obvious by the posts in this thread, people are judged if they have tats or piercings. Whether a person agrees with that or not, they should be smart enough to realize that it happens. I have a small one on my ankle. It is easily covered by socks, pants, or a bandaid. Not the case for a sleeve. I'm clearly not anti-tattoo, but getting a sleeve is just not smart, if a person ever has hopes of having a white collar job. Although, if they don't mind wearing long sleeves in the summer, whatever. But they should be smart enough to wear long sleeves to an interview.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Oh really? I know that tattoos in uniform aren't encouraged at all, but I need you to point me to which regulation, in any branch, that outright bans any and all tattoos in uniform.

I actually think a recent change in the rules says that they have to be covered by your uniform (for new recruits, at least). I knew of some one who was denied because his tat would have showed in a short sleeved uniform. Not sure which branch this was.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:33 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,669,938 times
Sniff. Sniff.

Weekend Traveler?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,759,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I actually think a recent change in the rules says that they have to be covered by your uniform (for new recruits, at least). I knew of some one who was denied because his tat would have showed in a short sleeved uniform. Not sure which branch this was.
You can never rely on the military to have one set of standards; their standards change according to personnel needs. One day they will be strict about everything, the next day they will let everyone and their brother in.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,698,641 times
I think it depends on the type of job and if the person will be put in a customer facing position. As the OP stated, the hiring manager was turned off by the tattoos. You don't know how someone is going to react.

That said, if the person meets the qualifications better than anyone else, and is willing to keep the tattoos covered while at work 100% I would hire them. Many companies I work for has it stated in their workplace policy and procedures, 'no visible tattoos'

Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,941 times
Unfortunately, people are judged by their appearance. Any employer has the right to reject an applicant if they have visible tattoos. I have a good friend who's a nurse and she is required to cover her tattoos while at work. She is emotionally attached to her ink so she'll never have them removed and wears Ink Armor tattoo cover sleeves.

[url]http://www.tat2x.com/[/url]

If you work in an office covering your tattoos with a long sleeve shirt is no problem but there are quite a few jobs out there that require you wear a short sleeve uniform. In these cases the visible tattoo policy varies quite a bit. Tattoos have become very mainstream but they are still not readily accepted in the workplace. Some employers feel it affects their branding.

Last edited by Bartolo; 08-06-2012 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM

22,245 posts, read 29,289,583 times
This is why people need to THINK about getting tons of tattoos all over their body..It can seriously have negative effects on your future. I have 3 but they are all hidden and cannot be seen for the professional world. Sorry to say it but people do get judged on their tattoos and placements..

Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,273,726 times
difficulty getting a job?
that is bek the parlor told him he has a right to personal expression and his parents did not question it.
attitude and tattoos are like ham and eggs, go well together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search