U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM

43 posts, read 86,317 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I am looking at my resume and looking at the surrounding opportunities and they just do not match up But I am not going to dwell on that. My thought is whether or not to add hobbies I have on my resume. Skills I have developed in a nonprofessional setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,788,208 times
You can, but focus on what would be meaingful for whatever jobs you're looking at.

For example, if you have a hobby of programming video games, that is something that might interest an employer. A hobby rock-climbing or surfing probably would not...

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 PM

43 posts, read 86,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
You can, but focus on what would be meaingful for whatever jobs you're looking at.

For example, if you have a hobby of programming video games, that is something that might interest an employer. A hobby rock-climbing or surfing probably would not...

Good luck.
Lol. I could see where that might look silly on a resume.

I bake... A lot. Sometimes for money and a few people I know that have celiac disease have come to me because I make a spectacular gluten free pumpkin pie. But i feel like I have acquired a decent amount of skill and may be of use in a food service setting. Just was not sure if I would get laughed out of the interview for putting it on a resume.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,788,208 times
Well, if it is relavent, put it on.

If it's not, you may as well leave it off, but I wouldn't worry about people laughing at it... sadly, from what I've seen, most "job creators" barely read candidates resumes anyway, so I doubt they'll even get around to the bottom where hobbies are listed.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
If you can give an example that might help. Most employers do not want to see that. It will be considered 'fluff'. However, if they really match the job it could be worth it.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM

114 posts, read 190,490 times
If I was in your position I would somehow angle my cooking for sick people into my own business, you can even buy a domain name and paid some harmless IT person to set something up and baaam, your running your own company, your a good Samaritan, n thus a great American. Thank you

Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 PM

494 posts, read 880,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyPaws View Post
Hello everyone:

I am looking at my resume and looking at the surrounding opportunities and they just do not match up But I am not going to dwell on that. My thought is whether or not to add hobbies I have on my resume. Skills I have developed in a nonprofessional setting.
My suggestion would be, assuming you're using headings like "Employment" and "Education" and maybe "Skills" in other sections of your resume, call this section something like "Other Interests/Experience" rather than "Hobbies" (if you're concerned with whether it's professional sounding enough).

Then, like others have said, tailor your resume to the individual job as far as what you include there (or whether you include that section at all for a specific job).

Old 07-28-2012, 06:13 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,010,282 times
How old are you? What experience level do you have and what education do you bring to the table? Most importantly, what wage are you willing to accept?

There are a lot of details that influence whether or not you can get an entry level job in today's economy. These days, the labor market is basically choppy waters that many have a terrible time navigating. What would have floated a decade ago is not seaworthy today. You need to focus on what you have to offer... That is potential!

Take my advice... Go in and speak to a business own. Do everything you can to convince him/her that you are the young mind ready to absorb whatever he/she has to offer. Tell him/her that you have a strong desire to do more in life than expect opportunity to be handed to you. It doesn't matter what your background is or your education. You want the opportunity to EARN it. After that, your level of success is entirely dependent on your level of commitment, and everything else is for show these days. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search