U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,824,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haon24 View Post
Thanks everyone.

@Colts I don't think so because the job posting is still on the website.
That's a standard outcome. Keep an eye on it, but they may have been BS'ing when they said they hired somebody. When I'm bored, I go around checking out websites of places I've applied to and had on-site interviews at, and most of the jobs are *still* on the website, sometimes a year or more later...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,662,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
That's a standard outcome. Keep an eye on it, but they may have been BS'ing when they said they hired somebody. When I'm bored, I go around checking out websites of places I've applied to and had on-site interviews at, and most of the jobs are *still* on the website, sometimes a year or more later...

Good luck!
This is usually as a way of sourcing candidates. Maybe irritating to you, but if there is a certain skill set that is in demand and the person/people applying for that job have that skill set, they will leave an active post up, allowing it to also get candidates for the other opening.

Also, some companies change the job itself, but not the ad. It is for a different location, salary, start date, a different contact person, etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,534,393 times
Quote:
I had an interview a little over two weeks ago. During the interview the hiring manager said that he would like to have an offer sent to someone in two weeks or so. I feel like the interview went very well. After two weeks of no response, I emailed him to ask for an update on the hiring process. The response I got is very confusing and I don't know how to take it. The email said, "we have identified a candidate for the position." That's it. It didn't say that I was no longer being considered but it didn't say that I'm not that candidate either. I know the position hasn't been filled so I'm wondering what it means. I'm just really confused. What do you think this means?

That was called "creative rejection" which was kind of dumb. Why give you a hint instead of just being direct? I would call anyway to make the person uncomfortable on purpose for sending such a stupid email

Hang in there, and just keep fighting

Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 AM

15,072 posts, read 21,871,229 times
Agree with the other posters, it could be filled, even though it is posted. Many times if a company goes with an internal candidate the process of hiring is much quicker. Therefore the job is still on the employment board for a certain period of time.

Or they may have thought you were not qualified and instead of saying so, were being diplomatic. Personally I would rather a rejection with honesty so I would know where I need to improve.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,824,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
This is usually as a way of sourcing candidates. Maybe irritating to you, but if there is a certain skill set that is in demand and the person/people applying for that job have that skill set, they will leave an active post up, allowing it to also get candidates for the other opening.

Also, some companies change the job itself, but not the ad. It is for a different location, salary, start date, a different contact person, etc.
Well, if a company wants to source candidates, they can say so. I've seen a bunch of companies do that - they openly say that the opening is for "multiple positions" and/or for "future demands." Some of them even make it clear that the job is dependent upon a contract win. There's no need to be dishonest about it by: acting like the place is "hiring now," bringing a bunch of people in for interviews and blowing smoke up their rears about upcoming hiring, and then dropping them all and pretending nothing happened.

At least in this case the place was decent enough to say *something* about the job, although they may be lying about hiring if the job is still on the website. It really depends upon the job and company. If it's a large company with a very general job opening, then maybe it is for multiple positions (although they should be upfront about that), but if it is for a small company or a very narrow job, the place probably didn't hire anyone if the posting is still listed.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,724,053 times
Are you a recent immigrant/ESLer? My parents and a lot of my friends are actually born and raised in various parts of Asia (though most are from China and Korea) and they always ask me questions like this. It's actually rather common in American English to use such statements. The fact that the email read they identified "a candidate" but does not congratulate or otherwise acknowledge you means that they've selected somebody else.

Generally, another tip is that after four days or so you're pretty much out of luck. All the people I Googled and the ones I knew in person cited that they received their jobs as soon as a few hours after applying. Some the next day or the others two. When you ask the managers or their assistants, they'll always say they keep applications on file and look through them carefully, but I doubt it. People who they feel really need the attention (sadly not enough) get it instantly.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Are you a recent immigrant/ESLer? My parents and a lot of my friends are actually born and raised in various parts of Asia (though most are from China and Korea) and they always ask me questions like this. It's actually rather common in American English to use such statements. The fact that the email read they identified "a candidate" but does not congratulate or otherwise acknowledge you means that they've selected somebody else.

Generally, another tip is that after four days or so you're pretty much out of luck. All the people I Googled and the ones I knew in person cited that they received their jobs as soon as a few hours after applying. Some the next day or the others two. When you ask the managers or their assistants, they'll always say they keep applications on file and look through them carefully, but I doubt it. People who they feel really need the attention (sadly not enough) get it instantly.
No I'm not an immigrant. I'm American and this is the first time I've gotten a response like this. Most times they are straight forward. Yes you did or no you didn't. Simple as that.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
No I'm not an immigrant. I'm American and this is the first time I've gotten a response like this. Most times they are straight forward. Yes you did or no you didn't. Simple as that.
I guess it just depends on where you apply. I was looking at mostly retail and office positions and every rejection I got from them went something like that. Or else it was something very similar. One, for example, read: "Thank you for your time and consideration taken to apply with ___. However, we regret to inform you we have selected other more qualified candidates for the position. Hopefully more positions will be available in the future."

Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,534,393 times
Quote:
Why didn't you reply back for clarification when you got the "we have identified a candidate" for the position?

I;m just asking since you were unclear on what the emailer meant by the statement and was surprised you didn't respond back right away since you were following up after two weeks.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why didn't you reply back for clarification when you got the "we have identified a candidate" for the position?

I;m just asking since you were unclear on what the emailer meant by the statement and was surprised you didn't respond back right away since you were following up after two weeks.
I don't know if this was his case, but a lot of those email responses are sent by robots (hence why they're all the same or almost the same) who do not allow replies or by people who never check that particular handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search