U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,627,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
During my latest job search I've had three interviews where the interviewer has complained to me about how he/she's had to interview soooo many candidates. During the interview I sympathize with the interviewer, but in my head I'm thinking "really?!" I just find it a little unprofessional that an interviewer would complain about the interviews to someone who he/she's interviewing. What do you guys think?
If I am interviewing for a job in which the person needs to deal with people who may be upset, needs to give good customer service, etc....well, I try to "throw" an odd comment into the interview to see what the candidate says. This COULD be what is happening. I am not sure I would use this exact tactic, but I have tried to throw a candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,027,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
If I am interviewing for a job in which the person needs to deal with people who may be upset, needs to give good customer service, etc....well, I try to "throw" an odd comment into the interview to see what the candidate says. This COULD be what is happening. I am not sure I would use this exact tactic, but I have tried to throw a candidate.
An example?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,095,452 times
Quote:
The positions I'm interviewing for have no involvement with customer service. I think they just need to let off some steam and they choose to do it in the interview. I also think there's a time and place for that, with the interview not being one of those.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
An example?
I usually ask candidates "What is your favorite animal and why?" They usually don't see that one coming. But, the ones who answer well (with something other than dog or cat, LOL) are usually the types who can think on their feet and are not thrown by being asked something "odd". As anyone who has ever worked with the public knows you are going to have the moment of "huh???"

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
The positions I'm interviewing for have no involvement with customer service. I think they just need to let off some steam and they choose to do it in the interview. I also think there's a time and place for that, with the interview not being one of those.
I agree that the interview is not the place to let off steam. Not to mention that it is going to be ruining the interviewee's experience. I would be put off by the idea of going to work somewhere that had managers that disgruntled.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM

225 posts, read 595,024 times
I've gone on interviews where the interviewer complains, or has taken personal calls, or has asked questions that would make HR shudder. They aren't supposed to do these things, but they generally have the upper hand, so they can get away with it, though most times it's probably lack of interview skills on their part more than anything. However, given the interview is your one chance to get to know who you will be working with before you do so, any bad behavior on their part can be used against them if the time comes when you have an offer that you get to choose whether or not to take.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 PM

I agree. And I have had to excuse myself to take a call during an interview...but it has never been a personal call.

I think that is really rude. The person took the time to dress up for the interview, and show up. The least I can do is also be present for the interview.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 AM

9,695 posts, read 15,894,765 times
Quote:

Oh, whoo hoo....YOU have a job, you must be sooooo special, I would come to an interview with YOU just so I could see what such a person looks like, after all, I'm just a low life, oh, thank you thank you for letting me breathe the same air you do, oh, how marvelous............see, I spent ~ $500 for this friggin outfit to impress you, another $4 for a new pair of pantyhose, sold blood for gas money, borrowed my mom's car, paid $10 to park the only place near your highness, BTW, I'm starving, my stomach is growling, its the end of the month and all I had today was some dry cereal, I left the rest of the milk for my kids.....Oh, yeah, try to trick me....that's what its all about...................yaddah, yaddah,.......

Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM

883 posts, read 932,213 times
Quote:
I usually ask candidates "What is your favorite animal and why?" They usually don't see that one coming. But, the ones who answer well (with something other than dog or cat, LOL) are usually the types who can think on their feet and are not thrown by being asked something "odd". As anyone who has ever worked with the public knows you are going to have the moment of "huh???"
I've never understood why interviewers ask those types of questions. I honestly don't see how that has anything to do with my ability to do the job in question. The regular HR-type questions that have replaced technical interviews are bad enough. I mean there is no right answer to a question like that, none at all. You can find something wrong with whatever the candidate says.

This reminds me of an interview I had where the guy (the manager of the department I would be working for) was really nice and personable half the time, showing me pictures of the company from years and years ago and talking about the history of it and how great it was to work there, then he would swing to being super gruff and closed off, asking me questions that had nothing to do with the job at hand and they weren't in the job description at all. He would bounce back and forth from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde. He made me so nervous I left my jacket in his office and had to go back to return it...needless to say I didn't get the job...but I was fine with that

Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM

644 posts, read 995,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, whoo hoo....YOU have a job, you must be sooooo special, I would come to an interview with YOU just so I could see what such a person looks like, after all, I'm just a low life, oh, thank you thank you for letting me breathe the same air you do, oh, how marvelous............see, I spent ~ $500 for this friggin outfit to impress you, another $4 for a new pair of pantyhose, sold blood for gas money, borrowed my mom's car, paid $10 to park the only place near your highness, BTW, I'm starving, my stomach is growling, its the end of the month and all I had today was some dry cereal, I left the rest of the milk for my kids.....Oh, yeah, try to trick me....that's what its all about...................yaddah, yaddah,.......
That's what they don't get. You have people going out of their way for an interview and the LAST thing we need to hear is an interviewer complaining about...*drumroll please*...INTERVIEWING! lol I mean what did they think they were getting paid for anyway? Did they not read the job description? It's a sick, twisted mind game they play on people. As if unemployed people don't have enough to worry about, we have to deal with employers playing sick, twisted games with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
I've never understood why interviewers ask those types of questions. I honestly don't see how that has anything to do with my ability to do the job in question. The regular HR-type questions that have replaced technical interviews are bad enough. I mean there is no right answer to a question like that, none at all. You can find something wrong with whatever the candidate says.

This reminds me of an interview I had where the guy (the manager of the department I would be working for) was really nice and personable half the time, showing me pictures of the company from years and years ago and talking about the history of it and how great it was to work there, then he would swing to being super gruff and closed off, asking me questions that had nothing to do with the job at hand and they weren't in the job description at all. He would bounce back and forth from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde. He made me so nervous I left my jacket in his office and had to go back to return it...needless to say I didn't get the job...but I was fine with that
He sounded kind of "wackadoodle" if you know what I mean. I see that as a blessing in disguise. You wouldn't want to work for that bipolar nutjob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or