U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,089,894 times

Advertisements

During my latest job search I've had three interviews where the interviewer has complained to me about how he/she's had to interview soooo many candidates. During the interview I sympathize with the interviewer, but in my head I'm thinking "really?!" I just find it a little unprofessional that an interviewer would complain about the interviews to someone who he/she's interviewing. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,749,061 times
Very unprofessional. Sadly in this job market interviewers don't have to try very hard I guess. I haven't experienced that personally. But if I heard any amount of complaining from an interviewer - about anything - I would have serious doubts about the company. I mean, you don't want an interviewer to sugarcoat things but addressing things honestly is different than complaining. If I ask an interviewer, "I saw that your company laid off 50 people last week. If I join your company how can I be sure my job will be secure?" I expect a reasonable answer that isn't so chipper as to be fake. But someone who begins complaining about something unsolicited in front of an interviewee... very unprofessional.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM

644 posts, read 993,871 times
Get use to that because I've dealt with that too. They tell me about how busy and stressed they are and how much they have to do and I'm thinking to myself, "that's not my problem!" *shrugs* haha They don't understand that the LAST thing a unemployed wants to hear is a bunch of whining and complaining from interviewers about how much they hate this process...how would they like to hear how much we have to sit there and listen to it and how hard it is out there already?!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,014,124 times
I was interviewed by a girl in her early 20s, and she complained about her student load debt, how she isn't working in the field she studied, and about the other employees who weren't doing a good job.

I tried to steer the interview back to discussing my qualifications, but it was useless.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,785,071 times
Oh, I had a couple like this.

1) The engineering manager at the idiot company that scheduled 2 phone interviews with me and skipped out on both of them... a good chunk of the interview was spent reminding me in painful terms that the company was always behind schedule - even on the best of days - and tons of overtime would be required... because they were behind schedule... always...

2) A phone interview for a quality engineering position that turned into listening to the hiring manager complain for at least 20 minutes straight about how every candidate that's brought to him fails to meet what he wants for the job. There were two problems with this: First, what he wanted was insane. He literally expected people to have memorized entire IPC specs regarding PWB creation - he actually expected me to cite the exact text in various sections over the phone?! He also wanted somebody who could be on-call 24/7 to fly anywhere in the nation to fix his problems... which is hilariously inefficient most of the time, to put it mildly. The other problem, on top of his insane demands, was that NONE of this was mentioned in the job description! If it had been, I wouldn't have bothered applying.

After the interview, I emailed the HR rep and explained what happened, telling them that they might want to talk to the guy and change the job description so it matches what he wants. They thanked me for this and then reposted the job the next week... with the exact same - and incorrect - description as before... Why do I bother trying to help people? Geez...

Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,710,562 times
Why can't you just be grateful you even have a job and we don't?

Yep, I encountered that once and that's all I thought. Smug...

Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,119,307 times
This is like complaining to a homeless person about the energy bill at your house. I've learned a long time ago that some people just don't have any awareness of how what they do and say affects others.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,798,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
During my latest job search I've had three interviews where the interviewer has complained to me about how he/she's had to interview soooo many candidates. During the interview I sympathize with the interviewer, but in my head I'm thinking "really?!" I just find it a little unprofessional that an interviewer would complain about the interviews to someone who he/she's interviewing. What do you guys think?
In the past I've usually just smiled and nodded and said something banal that hopefully made me sound empathetic like, "This must be a very popular company to work for!"

Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM

644 posts, read 993,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This is like complaining to a homeless person about the energy bill at your house. I've learned a long time ago that some people just don't have any awareness of how what they do and say affects others.
That's exactly what it is. Do they really think somebody close to being homeless, can't pay their bills, knee high in debt, got mouths to feed, etc want to hear their problems? I highly doubt they would like to hear ours...I guarantee ours is much worse.

I feel this way, if you don't like the job or you can't handle it as a manager...then quit or you shouldn't have taken the job in the first place, or shut up about it. lol

Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,889,101 times
Of course what the interviewers are doing is unprofessional and classless.

But they know they can go on these power trips (because so many people are desperate for work), so what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or