U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,546,621 times

Advertisements

I know where you are coming from TVSG, but I agree with Elle - there is definately a thing or two missing from my resume and just going off of the google examples is basically where I came up with my current format. At this point I know it needs help, I'm just afraid of choosing someone who charges too little and doesn't give me a "great" resume, or being overcharged.
I know I need to make some changes. maybe then I will get better results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,429,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I know where you are coming from TVSG, but I agree with Elle - there is definately a thing or two missing from my resume and just going off of the google examples is basically where I came up with my current format. At this point I know it needs help, I'm just afraid of choosing someone who charges too little and doesn't give me a "great" resume, or being overcharged.
I know I need to make some changes. maybe then I will get better results.
Wonder do those places say you will definitely get a interview after paying $150. You would have to for that amount of money

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Wonder do those places say you will definitely get a interview after paying $150. You would have to for that amount of money
I would hope so, because I honestly don't have $150 that I can just waste away, but I need something so I can leave my current work situation and get a full time job. . .

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Here is a link to a site where they also claim to get results. I will share info when I receive my "free critique."
Resume Writing Services

Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Here is a link to a site where they also claim to get results. I will share info when I receive my "free critique."
Resume Writing Services

Well it maybe legit because I don't think the site would still be up if people were not getting interviews. My problem is the resume it's the interview but I think I;m ready now

Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,030,545 times
What I can tell you is this, be careful.

You dont have to look very hard to figure out that every "professional" resume writer has a different idea of what a "good resume" is. Yahoo News posts conflicting articles on this subject constantly.

Some say thicker paper, some say normal stock. Some say add colors, others absolutely advise against it. Some say keep to one page, others think thats ridiculous. They all will argue formatting all day long.

Its the same way in real the real world. I once took my resume to a recruiter, who told me to make a bunch of changes. I showed the new version to a different recruiter who basically told me to back out pretty much every change the first recruiter recommended, and put it close to the way it started.

Who was correct? Maybe neither, because after you create your resume, its going to depend on the hiring managers fancy any way.

I have to disagree that spicing up the resume in any particuliar way will help that much. As long as everything is spelled right, and you dont make obviously stupid errors, like lewd personal email addresses, and the resume highlights your qualifications to the the job, and is in a decently presentable format, you probably cant do much better than that.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
What I can tell you is this, be careful.

You dont have to look very hard to figure out that every "professional" resume writer has a different idea of what a "good resume" is. Yahoo News posts conflicting articles on this subject constantly.

Some say thicker paper, some say normal stock. Some say add colors, others absolutely advise against it. Some say keep to one page, others think thats ridiculous. They all will argue formatting all day long.

Its the same way in real the real world. I once took my resume to a recruiter, who told me to make a bunch of changes. I showed the new version to a different recruiter who basically told me to back out pretty much every change the first recruiter recommended, and put it close to the way it started.

Who was correct? Maybe neither, because after you create your resume, its going to depend on the hiring managers fancy any way.

I have to disagree that spicing up the resume in any particuliar way will help that much. As long as everything is spelled right, and you dont make obviously stupid errors, like lewd personal email addresses, and the resume highlights your qualifications to the the job, and is in a decently presentable format, you probably cant do much better than that.

It maybe a good idea for sending to a direct email address but for online applications forget it. No matter how good it looks you still only have a 5% chance of getting a reply

Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 AM

101 posts, read 278,155 times
How sad that few people would spend a small amount of money for a professional looking resume. If the resume gets people's attention and you get back to work one day sooner it pays for itself.

The problem with not paying for a resume is most people lack good writing skills and when I worked in management we got a good number of resumes with grammar and punctuation issues which were thrown away. Spend the money unless you are an excellent writer and even then get a couple of people to look at it for their feedback.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 AM

4,727 posts, read 12,445,805 times
I've always done my own resume but I know I write well; I've re-done resumes for friends who landed the job.

When a very good friend of mine & I were out of work at the same time, we sent resumes to each other for feedback. We both went to college in the same concentration of study (Advertising). I found her resume to be full of fluffy filler. She, on the other hand, thought mine was too brief. Guess who was hired first...(me). Personally, I believe I found employment within a four month period due to stable work record: five years employment at the same job. I felt her fluff was fill in for lack of job stability. My resume was to the point vs. adjectives that took up space. Still in the same field, I considered going back to school to get my M.A. but that fizzled due to unavailable program in my location. Taking into consideration my income even with a master's would be little more starting out than my current field, I decided to pursue a shorter term of study & become licensed in my current position which opens the door not only for career advancement but better income.

Again, if you can write & navigate the internet to view examples of resumes within your job objective, you can do your own resume. It takes time & research but it can work!!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,778,672 times
Quote:
I am debating saving up and "splurging" on having a resume and a cover letter prepared by a professional since I am not getting enough results from my current resume.
Has anyone done this? How do I know that someone actually does a good job with a resume - what are the things to look for?
Also does anyone know which template would be the best (I have 12 years CSR and 5 total for Secretary/clerical.
Thank you.
A good resume and cover letter are targeted specifically to a particular job at a particular company. It should use the same language as the job announcement and description, key words from the company itself. That means that one professional resume would be of limited value - really good resume writers study the industry a person wants to enter and target the resume to the company and job they want. It's quite expensive. A company that offers one resume for every job is probably just taking your money and giving you a generic product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search