U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I've always done my own resume but I know I write well; I've re-done resumes for friends who landed the job.

When a very good friend of mine & I were out of work at the same time, we sent resumes to each other for feedback. We both went to college in the same concentration of study (Advertising). I found her resume to be full of fluffy filler. She, on the other hand, thought mine was too brief. Guess who was hired first...(me). Personally, I believe I found employment within a four month period due to stable work record: five years employment at the same job. I felt her fluff was fill in for lack of job stability. My resume was to the point vs. adjectives that took up space. Still in the same field, I considered going back to school to get my M.A. but that fizzled due to unavailable program in my location. Taking into consideration my income even with a master's would be little more starting out than my current field, I decided to pursue a shorter term of study & become licensed in my current position which opens the door not only for career advancement but better income.

Again, if you can write & navigate the internet to view examples of resumes within your job objective, you can do your own resume. It takes time & research but it can work!!
Exactly, I don't even know how a resume service is even in business with so many resume examples on Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
 
101 posts, read 277,436 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, I don't even know how a resume service is even in business with so many resume examples on Google.

This is a crazy statement. Ever look at the quality of resumes companies get? They are terrible! Most people could look at resume books and research resumes online until they are blue in the face. If you lack good writing skills and can't put your ideas in words, get someone else to write it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
This is a crazy statement. Ever look at the quality of resumes companies get? They are terrible! Most people could look at resume books and research resumes online until they are blue in the face. If you lack good writing skills and can't put your ideas in words, get someone else to write it.
Do people get a refund if they don't get called for a interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
 
101 posts, read 277,436 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You're in no place to be telling anyone how things work.

FIRED from last job, but my Uncle will say I worked at his company
You need a good record and a great resume to survive in todays job market!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Laurel, MD(temp)
34 posts, read 76,363 times
Reputation: 39
I had my resume done by a professorial and I was guaranteed that if I didn't get a an interview with in 30 days, they would rewrite it over and over till I was satisfied and got an interview. I DID get an interview with in that time! Since then I have had more notice and responses. I also had "my" writer update it a year later. It wasn't cheap, but well worth the money!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Location: downtown Sarasota
4,726 posts, read 12,433,175 times
Reputation: 2039
^ what about a job after the interview?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtechgal View Post
I had my resume done by a professorial and I was guaranteed that if I didn't get a an interview with in 30 days, they would rewrite it over and over till I was satisfied and got an interview. I DID get an interview with in that time! Since then I have had more notice and responses. I also had "my" writer update it a year later. It wasn't cheap, but well worth the money!!
I would prefer a refund if I didn't get a interview in 30 days but atleast you were not in that situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,614 posts, read 13,162,890 times
Reputation: 16174
Recommended. A good resume has to able to stand out on a smartphone within seconds. I got mine profesionlly done and it worked. I have only 2 jobs to list from about 15 years back so had to really stress the advancement In them but got callbacks and two offers fast. Still at my long time place of employment though by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Recommended. A good resume has to able to stand out on a smartphone within seconds. I got mine profesionlly done and it worked. I have only 2 jobs to list from about 15 years back so had to really stress the advancement In them but got callbacks and two offers fast. Still at my long time place of employment though by choice.
So there are some idiots out there who view resumes on their phone instead of a computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So there are some idiots out there who view resumes on their phone instead of a computer?
There are many people out there who use their smartphones for all manner of business purposes. Welcome to the real world. Just because you're not one of them (and I'm not either) doesn't preclude having knowledge of all the new technology, and calling such people "idiots" only demonstrates your own ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top