U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,543,150 times
Reputation: 593

Advertisements

I am debating saving up and "splurging" on having a resume and a cover letter prepared by a professional since I am not getting enough results from my current resume.
Has anyone done this? How do I know that someone actually does a good job with a resume - what are the things to look for?
Also does anyone know which template would be the best (I have 12 years CSR and 5 total for Secretary/clerical.
Thank you.

Last edited by lostinca; 07-31-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM
 
Location: PNW
682 posts, read 2,117,662 times
Reputation: 645
Several years ago (~6) I paid to get my resume done professionally. All told it was about $150.00. They sent me a long questionnaire to fill out and we talked over the phone and through email. When it was done I uploaded it to places like Monster and got many, many hits from good companies. I decided to go back to school and did not end up pursuing a job in the industry I had been in (CSR for a manufacturing company). I still use the bulk of that resume and cover letter today with positive effect now that I'm done with school and grad school.

Overall I was really pleased with the process, and I thought it was worth the money. The good ones know how to structure the document and add the all-important key words for electronic searching.

I wish I could remember what company I used, but it was so long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 03:36 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
753 posts, read 1,276,883 times
Reputation: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I am debating saving up and "splurging" on having a resume and a cover letter prepared by a professional since I am not getting enough results from my current resume.
Has anyone done this? How do I know that someone actually does a good job with a resume - what are the things to look for?
Also does anyone know which template would be the best (I have 12 years CSR and 5 total for Secretary/clerical.
Thank you.
These companies seem like complete scams to me. How about just getting a really smart friend to proof it and help you choose a style after reading about what styles suit your industry best? Or even going to some resume-writing class at a church or library then getting your smart friend involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 AM
 
101 posts, read 276,871 times
Reputation: 101
Default Yes!

When I lost my job I thought a resume was just a modified employment application so I just simply listed my jobs and the various tasks I did in each. I got very few interviews.

Some of my friends told me that my resume looked to much like everyone elses and that is why no one was calling. One sent me to a professional resume writer who did a great job at cleaning up my resume and making it an advertisement for me instead. She told me the most important things in a resume were:

A career Headline- instead of a objective
A KEY WORD list related to my career to catch the eye of the applicant tracking software
A summary of my responsibilities instead of a list of routine tasks
A list of outcomes and accomplishments in each job to show I did things outside routine tasks
A marketing type description promoting my education and professional development education, instead of just listing it.
Describe my activities with a marketing slant instead of just boring lists of routine tasks.

Since my resume was updated by a professional I am getting a lot more interviews.

So yes, have your resume done by a professional as long as they promote you effectively using the advice above.

Last edited by Jobless and Broke; 08-01-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
 
15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
Reputation: 13483
Get it done. Research for reviews and complaints about the company before you make a choice.

Google a lot to narrow your search.

Resumes are a lot different these days versus 10 years ago. The format and contact has changed a lot. I had to rewrite mine completely. It is not a fun task at all. A pro will guide you and pull out info from you and then put it in the proper format.

Money will spent, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM
 
Location: USA
7,478 posts, read 5,787,167 times
Reputation: 12321
It's not a bad idea, but don't spend too much.

1) As others have said, a skilled firiend can probably get your resume close to the mark without spending a dime.

2) When you "apply online," your resume is mangled into something unrecognizable anyway, with all the information extracted and stuck into various fields. Not saying you shouldn't have a good resume, but it won't get you past the first gatekeeper - the automated resume filters.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,543,150 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's not a bad idea, but don't spend too much.

1) As others have said, a skilled firiend can probably get your resume close to the mark without spending a dime.

2) When you "apply online," your resume is mangled into something unrecognizable anyway, with all the information extracted and stuck into various fields. Not saying you shouldn't have a good resume, but it won't get you past the first gatekeeper - the automated resume filters.

Good luck!
That's what I am afraid of. I had a resume class and I know it is helpful to have as many keywords as you possibly can, I am just afraid that I am not creative enough.
Thank you all for the advice. I think I am going to get it done by a professional, at this point I don't have all that much to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 1,711,332 times
Reputation: 584
You have to be careful because as with everything else, some companies will charge you a ___load and give out only minimal effort, while others do just the opposite. I would be wary of offices located in more expensive areas, they like to get away with charging high amounts simply because of their locations. For example, we had one of those out here and they wanted $200 per applicant (regardless of job)! I checked Yelp and people actually praised them. Yet the same service was available for $70 not too far away, in a neighboring city.

Needless to say, I didn't go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,543,150 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
You have to be careful because as with everything else, some companies will charge you a ___load and give out only minimal effort, while others do just the opposite. I would be wary of offices located in more expensive areas, they like to get away with charging high amounts simply because of their locations. For example, we had one of those out here and they wanted $200 per applicant (regardless of job)! I checked Yelp and people actually praised them. Yet the same service was available for $70 not too far away, in a neighboring city.

Needless to say, I didn't go there.
That is perfect advice Elle. I actually thought of this option this morning, I have a friend that is beyond fantastic with his wording so I am going to ask him if he can recommend someone. I do not want to just pick a person off of Craigslist and assume that they know what they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
 
1,260 posts, read 1,929,516 times
Reputation: 1302
My husband paid $150 to have his resume and coverletter done about 4 years ago. The end product looked fantastic a lot of fancy words, etc but it didn't land him any interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top