U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said I wouldn't apply for those jobs. I just said I am not happy to work those jobs. I look at it is as going back to square one. It is not a matter of being too good for the job. It's a matter of "if I wanted such jobs, I would have not even worked that hard in high school". My point is that I worked hard and I feel cheated as a result.

I even went to an interview for a job that was well below my skill level. The job paid $10 an hour. It was basically secretary work. I was passed up for two other candidates. I also applied for a job at a restaurant. I haven't been called back. Starbucks said no too. Even the crap jobs don't seem to hire me.

I talked to someone about it. His explanation made me think about something. He said that perhaps I'm overqualified. His reasoning was that it didn't make alot of sense to hire someone with a college degree for a job that only requires a high school degree, the idea being that after a while, a college graduate would be disappointed and leave after a while.

There is some truth to your friend's statement. Some jobs have such a high turnover that they will hire just about anybody, but a lot of employeres are looking fro some stability. No one wants to hire you and train you, knowing that you are still looking for a job and will leave as soon as you get the chance. Going back to how much the economy sucks right now I'll add that I also know a guy with a hard science master's degree stocking shelves in a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Those employers at min wage jobs know that you cannot afford the cost of living (food, bills, rent) plus pay your school loan debt on 8-10 bucks an hour. They know that you'll be looking for something better while you're working there. They don't like to keep hiring people so they pass on people with college degrees.
How does that help ME? As much as I don't want to work those jobs, I know that I may not have a choice. I'm in a situation where I feel like no one wants me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised those employers don't care if I live or die or end up living at home with my parents into my 30s(if it comes to that). I'm going to apply to whatever entry level jobs I can find.

In the meanwhile, what would I do for money?

Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There is some truth to your friend's statement. Some jobs have such a high turnover that they will hire just about anybody, but a lot of employeres are looking fro some stability. No one wants to hire you and train you, knowing that you are still looking for a job and will leave as soon as you get the chance. Going back to how much the economy sucks right now I'll add that I also know a guy with a hard science master's degree stocking shelves in a grocery store.
Which leaves me with this question: What is going to help ME earn money in the mean time?

On to something else. I have classmates from high school without college degrees. Some dropped out of college. Some never bothered to go to college. I know one woman who is a stay at home mother with three kids(and she's 26). She is having a happier life than me. What scares me is that it could confirm the idea that a college degree is worth nothing. I've been taught that a college degree is a powerful tool by my father, and my father has proven to be a living example. The thing is it isn't working for me. Deep down, I don't want to take a job that pays $10 an hour. However, I can't find anything else that's hiring. The jobs that accept my degree want experience and the jobs that don't require a college degree don't want someone with a college degree. Right now I'm trying to look for entry level jobs. It's tough, but thanks to a link that was provided, it is being made easier. Now I am playing the waiting game.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM

241 posts, read 881,782 times
Quote:
Which leaves me with this question: What is going to help ME earn money in the mean time?
I don't know what u can do to get money. One thing for certain is people need an income to live in this country as everything cost money.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
I don't know what u can do to get money. One thing for certain is people need an income to live in this country as everything cost money.
So far, if the give scenario is true, then I'm at a loss, unless I get an entry level job.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,200,502 times
You just graduated and have no car... A car and driving is VERY IMPORTANT. Go back and live with your parents and ask them for a GIFT of a $4000 used car! My mom just recently bought me a $5500 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the trailer tow package - decked out for those out of state jobs I can then apply to!

If I were a hiring manager for a PROFESSIONAL I wouldn't hire someone who doesn't have a car and drive!

Now for software, you can try torrenting Autocad & etc. Many Eng Professional rely on bootleg software to practice on for their CAD / Eng software skills.

I was going to suggest to try messenger delivery, but that's either by car or bike. I did both and I have a BSME. But I hated the jobs and didn't make much money.

Otherwise, do you have ANY work experience at all? - What did you do?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM

740 posts, read 1,878,545 times
Saying this as someone who has a BA in Geography, we will need to work slightly harder (ok, alot harder) than those who got degrees in comp sci, engineering, medical etc. Hell gis wasn't even recognized as STEM until very very recently.

I don't know what your father got his degree in but if you ask him I bet he would say that an english degree isn't as useful as a neurobiology degree.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link. This is what I have needed all along.

And I never tell anyone I don't have a car. I know that if employers find out I don't have a car, they won't want to take a chance on me, especially in metropolitan Atlanta where having a car isn't a status symbol, it's a survival mechanism.

Correct, never say you dont have a car. If you need a car to get to an interview or to start a new job, you rent a car or take a bus or hire a cab or get a hotel across the road from work.

FYI, dont put that you finished your degee when you apply for low end jobs. Either leave the degree off the resume or put that you went for 2 years and didn't finish. They will use the degree against you so don't use it for those low end jobs that you take to make ends meet.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM

22,698 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Quote:
I'm not going to lie. It does sound very harsh to me. I have lived on ramen before. After a while I didn't want to look at it. When I hear "suck it up", sometimes I think "I have been sucking it up for a long time thinking that it would get better. Maybe I'm just not a patient person".

You served in the military? I wish I could at this point. I've been told NO by the military because of spine issues. I'm considered a liability for that reason.

I've tried getting jobs that I considered below my educational background. I wasn't even hired by them. Starbucks has told me no a few times. I had an interview a few days ago for a job that was for a basic filing position. The job was given to someone else. According to one person I talked to about it, I'm considered overqualified for such a job that doesn't require a college education. Even the crap jobs are harder to get because I'm competing with people who are desperate for them.

I look at it like this. How can I get more experience in my field if no one takes a chance on me?
Have you looked around on this forum? People have been trying to get work for a LONG time! You just graduated and have been at this..what? Two weeks? It's not going to happen like that. You ask if you are being impatient...yah, you are. I understand, completely, you want to get going! You want to move on, you've done all this hard work, let's go, chop chop! I get that.

Unfortunately, as I said in my post to you before, you have got to wake up to reality. You are competing against a whole lot of people EVEN in those minimum wage jobs. As I said to you, there's a ton of people who have college degrees, even higher than yours who are competing for those jobs! When we are telling you it is rough out there, we aren't saying it to be jackasses, it's because NO ONE told you and now you are getting hit hard with it. It's the reality.

When I say, "Suck it up!", it's me telling you, everything you thought you knew, is wrong. The days of going to college, getting a degree and waltzing on in to any old business and landing a job right then and there are gone. So, again, you do what you have to do.

If you go in to an interview, say Starbucks, and you have an air about you that it is beneath you and you really don't want that job, you're just doing whatever to get by for now, they are going to read that. (By the way, don't knock Starbucks, they can make some good tips.)

Face reality means: You're getting a crash course and it's hard to handle but you're going to have to deal with it and do WHATEVER it takes to get going...even if it means PRETENDING you really want that lousy minimum wage job.

You do not want to be where some of us have been and where some still are: A year or two later, STILL trying to find anything. You're young, fresh, have a lot of energy and ambition...use that to your advantage. EVEN if it's at Dunkin' fricken Donuts!

Let me remind you: It is NOT forever!

You're being overdramatic by making comments about living in your parents house till you are 30. It can be that way if you go around with this attitude or you can realize it sucks, it sucks really bad and fight to get where you want to be...no matter how difficult it is to swallow that pride.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,889,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Correct, never say you dont have a car. If you need a car to get to an interview or to start a new job, you rent a car or take a bus or hire a cab or get a hotel across the road from work.
Here's the thing with that though (and where you run into the slippery slope).

If you tell them you have a car, they expect you to be on time all the time, no exception. If you're late constantly because you don't have cab money or you missed your bus, they're going to get suspicious at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or