U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,746 posts, read 16,830,942 times
Reputation: 26299

Advertisements

By the way, you can't join the military, but maybe you can still do government work? Have you looked at USAJobs.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
By the way, you can't join the military, but maybe you can still do government work? Have you looked at USAJobs.com?
I just applied to some jobs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,897,588 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just applied to some jobs there.
Aren't you from Michigan? I recall you posting in the Detroit forum.

Have you tried applying for state jobs? They have several openings on their website, and you may be able to land something.

The Administrative and Human Resource workers for the state of Michigan are represented by the UAW, so you're looking at some pretty good wage and benefits if hired.

You need to pass the Civil Service Exam with an 80% accuracy and take part in one of the awful behavioral interviews if they contact you.

Most of them are around Detroit and Lansing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Aren't you from Michigan? I recall you posting in the Detroit forum.

Have you tried applying for state jobs? They have several openings on their website, and you may be able to land something.

The Administrative and Human Resource workers for the state of Michigan are represented by the UAW, so you're looking at some pretty good wage and benefits if hired.

You need to pass the Civil Service Exam with an 80% accuracy and take part in one of the awful behavioral interviews if they contact you.

Most of them are around Detroit and Lansing though.
I'm not from Michigan. I have thought about getting work up there. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Detroit because of what it once was and what it could be again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,897,588 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not from Michigan. I have thought about getting work up there. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Detroit because of what it once was and what it could be again.
But yeah, besides the federal government, I would look for state government jobs in states you may be interested in living too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But yeah, besides the federal government, I would look for state government jobs in states you may be interested in living too.
I have looked at state positions. I applied for a job the City of Janesville,WI. I found out there were 65 applicants for this position. I got turned down. Same thing with a job for Clackamas County,Oregon. Alot of candidates, and I was told no. I'm also looking up places that do cartographic services in the YellowPages online. I've actually applied to quite a few companies. I haven't heard back from any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,746 posts, read 16,830,942 times
Reputation: 26299
I'm glad you found USAJobs. The thing about Federal government work is that they actually hire you based on your credentials, not who you know, not how pretty you are, not some ridiculous crap that some employers are pulling these days.

What you will compete against are veterans who do have points that gives them a boost. However, that should be understood...but, it doesn't mean you can't get a good opportunity.

It may not happen the first time or second time around...but, as much as people make fun of it, if you can get a government job, federal level, you're going to be doing just fine. So, best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm glad you found USAJobs. The thing about Federal government work is that they actually hire you based on your credentials, not who you know, not how pretty you are, not some ridiculous crap that some employers are pulling these days.

What you will compete against are veterans who do have points that gives them a boost. However, that should be understood...but, it doesn't mean you can't get a good opportunity.

It may not happen the first time or second time around...but, as much as people make fun of it, if you can get a government job, federal level, you're going to be doing just fine. So, best of luck!
I'm just hoping something will come out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Well, either tonight or tomorrow morning, I will be moving back to my parents house. As much as I don't love the idea of doing this, it is currently the only option I have while I'm looking for a job. My situation is only suppose to be temporary. That is not what is getting me. I have some personal issues with the place I'm moving back to. I basically cut most of my ties with that place(Paulding County, GA). However, I find myself going back, not because I miss it, but because it is the only place I have left. This is the biggest problem I've had. The idea was to get an education, and get a better job somewhere far away from Paulding County, and if possible, to places I've read about(like Minnesota, Seattle, Denver, Montreal, etc). For me, being unemployed or taking a job that I feel is below my skill level is not the only problem. Doing this in Paulding County makes me feel like I'm back at square one, plus something worse. I dreamed of the day I could escape from there, for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
 
15,363 posts, read 17,620,172 times
Reputation: 13489
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The idea was to get an education, and get a better job somewhere far away from Paulding County....
Focus on this plan then. Apply to every county and every city in the areas you want to live. Realize the bigger cities and the counties near the big cities will pay higher wages. The cost of living will often be higher in those areas also. In rural areas, the jobs will usually pay less but the cost of living is usually lower.

You need to bookmark all the county and city web sites and visit them once a week or so. New jobs will get posted and you have to apply within certain days before the job close date. Most gov jobs do it this way.

Always write a cover letter and state that you plan to move to that county and pay for the move yourself and you will pay for the visit for the job interview as well. Explain you just graduated from school and targeted that area to live for several years.

While you are living in metro Atl, you can apply to the 10 -15 counties that are within a couple hours of Atl. They will consisder you local if you are only going to move 50 miles for a job. And the interview will be easy to get to because no hotel or flight.

There are so many counties and cities that you can have 200 sites to check every week. You will find something soon enough. Just stick with it. Dont get discouraged. Be glad you have your parents place to live. It's probably good you hate it there. This will give you incentive to get out of there asap. You can do it. tell yourself this every day, because it is true. You can do this. the first job is the hardest. Once you get experience it will be easier the next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top