U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 AM

29 posts, read 39,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I had to give this post some thought, as I didn't know what I was going to say before. Today, however, a trip to facebook decided that for me.

I went on facebook and I saw statuses of people I know who at their first day back at school. It made me realize I'm no longer in college. I was seeing other people, who were my age or somewhat older, who are married and have children of their own. Some of these people were kids I went to school with, and some of them are now having lives of their own, with or without college, and alot of my classmates didn't go to college. Most of them that I know aren't living with their parents. They are getting on with their lives, some even have children, I know a few who have children who are starting kindergarten or 1st grade, somewhere around that age. A few days ago, I ran into a woman I went to school with. She is around 28 years old, and I saw here walking around with 2 boys who appeared to be between the ages of 8 and 10. Of course I would have no aspirations of being a teen father. However, I was embarrassed to tell her what had gone on in my life.

What does this have to do with your post? I don't know anyone from my graduating class, or from a few years before in the same situation as me. I went to college so I wouldn't have such a life. Now I'm back at home, and I notice some people are more ahead than I am. I don't feel normal. I know people who are starting their own family, or have started their own families, who are owning their own homes. Their ability to own a home, and to take care of someone else. Seeing that and then seeing that I'm 26, living with my parents, jobless, and I can't really take care of myself, makes me wonder about myself.
I'm in a similar situation. It's quite ironic that a lot of those who didn't go to college are much further in life than those who did if we're counting the last several years. I notice this in my own social circle. A lot of people from my school didn't go to college, and they are doing great. I'm age 26 as well, living with parents, and coming up on my last year of college. I'm probably not going to get a job the traditional way. I'm going to try to become an insurance agent. If that doesn't work out, I'm screwed. And after all of that propaganda growing up, the best you can do after college is Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,272,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
I'm in a similar situation. It's quite ironic that a lot of those who didn't go to college are much further in life than those who did if we're counting the last several years. I notice this in my own social circle. A lot of people from my school didn't go to college, and they are doing great. I'm age 26 as well, living with parents, and coming up on my last year of college. I'm probably not going to get a job the traditional way. I'm going to try to become an insurance agent. If that doesn't work out, I'm screwed. And after all of that propaganda growing up, the best you can do after college is Walmart.
National data paints a different picture. Unemplotment is double for a HS grad compared Tina college grad over 25. I believe it's 4% for the collee graduate.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM

114 posts, read 190,438 times
Adversity should make you hungrier for success not depressed

Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM

48,026 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
For God's sake, stop being so hard on yourself. You did the best that you could do by going to school and getting an education. Things have changed, unfortunately. Graduates can't find jobs. Take the time to have a full fledged pity party and STOP. Then focus on doing something about it. Sending you some PMs for freelancing work.
I might be a bit hard on myself. Maybe I am being a bit hard on myself. I just get embarrassed because now that I'm back where I spent middle school and high school, I'm running into a few familiar classmates, and I don't know what to tell them what I've done since high school. I don't know what people will say about me.

On the other hand, I am trying to do something about it. I just finished making a map of the city of Marietta,GA. I'm trying to build a portfolio. I have to sell MYSELF first before I can sell someone a product I can make. I am about to send an email to someone who takes freelancers.

And I got your PM. I'm looking into this stuff as we speak.

I am trying hard to do something about it. I tend to have those horrible moments.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWingFan View Post
Adversity should make you hungrier for success not depressed
It should make one hungrier for success. Sometimes, however, it can make a person depressed.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
National data paints a different picture. Unemplotment is double for a HS grad compared Tina college grad over 25. I believe it's 4% for the collee graduate.
The national data and what a person sees can contradict one another. I'm not saying you're wrong. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, you are right. The unemployment rate for those without a college education, but only a high school education is higher than for those with a college education. It is 8.7% for those with only a high school education, and 4.1% for those with a college degree. However, this doesn't count those who have just stopped looking, so those numbers might be much higher for both. The BLS confirms what you're saying: Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

However, my point about contradiction has more to do with what I'm seeing around me. On paper, I have a lesser likelihood of being unemployed than alot of my classmates who did not go to college. In reality, I'm the one without a job and I know some classmates who have jobs, without college education.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,007,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

However, my point about contradiction has more to do with what I'm seeing around me. On paper, I have a lesser likelihood of being unemployed than alot of my classmates who did not go to college. In reality, I'm the one without a job and I know some classmates who have jobs, without college education.
There are many careers that do not require a college degree. It doesn't mean these careers are less worthwhile, and there is nothing stopping you from pursuing them after college. If anything, your degree with show you have the tenacity and capacity to pursue something, and complete it. That certainly won't buy you a job, but it is another piece in the arsenal. The college degree is quite trumped up these days, but it doesn't mean employers don't look kindly on it. Also consider... Almost every profession requires management. If you can start on the bottom in some line of work, that degree may put you in the running for some upper level positions down the road with experience to boot.

Experience + degree tends to prove quite a good combination. Getting experience in a desired profession, even if it's not the one you had your heart set on, should be the next step. You'll likely find that a lot of folks your parents age with degrees ended up in completely non related professions. 1000 people graduating with geography degrees for example doesn't produce 1000 new jobs in that field.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There are many careers that do not require a college degree. It doesn't mean these careers are less worthwhile, and there is nothing stopping you from pursuing them after college. If anything, your degree with show you have the tenacity and capacity to pursue something, and complete it. That certainly won't buy you a job, but it is another piece in the arsenal. The college degree is quite trumped up these days, but it doesn't mean employers don't look kindly on it. Also consider... Almost every profession requires management. If you can start on the bottom in some line of work, that degree may put you in the running for some upper level positions down the road with experience to boot.

Experience + degree tends to prove quite a good combination. Getting experience in a desired profession, even if it's not the one you had your heart set on, should be the next step. You'll likely find that a lot of folks your parents age with degrees ended up in completely non related professions. 1000 people graduating with geography degrees for example doesn't produce 1000 new jobs in that field.
I never researched those careers because my whole life, I knew I wanted to work with geography and the things that entailed it, like cartography and meteorology.

My question is about getting experience. I'm trying to find ways of getting experience. One thing I thinking about is asking to getting some low level position.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,702,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
In a way it's really not all that surprising. People who go to college often accrue huge amounts of debt. You can't possibly get a good head start in life with that hanging over your head. Moreover, a BA these days is practically worthless! Kids should not spend more than $500 for one of these, anything more and you're just wasting money. You'll never pay off your college loans working at walmart.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,059,884 times
they have had four more years to develop their career than you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or