Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
They have four more years of concentrated study in a field which does not even remotely guarantee a job after they graduate. In the meantime, they have probably not put much thought into making money if their degree should prove worthless, which it most likely will. Eventually they'll be unable to pay off their student loans and go into default. What a great way to start your adult life.
what are you talking about? i'm talking about his friends back at home who didn't go to college and pointing out why they may seem more "ahead" now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I used to live in the Seattle area. I quite liked it. Being a displaced Mariners fan and despising Atlanta summers, I might fit just fine in Seattle. I'm going to check out King County GIS.
might need an IT dregee to get a job in King county area. ~_~

Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
might need an IT dregee to get a job in King county area. ~_~
You don't. Infact we have alot of arts majors who are gainfully employed at starbucks.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I think one thing that has been depressing me is that I haven't heard from anyone lately. I have sent alot of emails lately with my resume and a cover letter. Not even a rejection email. Nothing at all. I even sent a few stating that I would be willing to start at the bottom and work my way up. I feel like even my best efforts aren't enough anymore.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
And what kind of jobs could I get at a hospital? I have no medical experience.
Go to the hospital web sites. They have tons of jobs that dont require medical experience

Some are low end such as kitchen work or supplies or clerical or security. But it is bette than working a McDonald's as far as how it looks on your resume. Plus the pay is higher. It's something to pay your bills so you can get to the city and get out of your parents' home.

Go the the hospital web sites and search. There are hundreds of jobs.

And it's not just Atlanta that is a bad place for someone to be without a car. 95% of the USA is this way. You are really limiting yourself with the car thing. I think it is actually driving that is your problem, not the car. You are afraid for some reason. You are so limited in this country without a car.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 PM

66 posts, read 228,075 times
i advise lying for any job at this time. i graduated this June with a degree in international political science and after searching for jobs one year prior to graduation i finally landed a crappy little security guard position about 2 weeks after graduation by lying. basically i told them i was planning on going in to law enforcement and because of this they hired me. i do have respect for those in law enforcement but i certainly dont have what it takes for the job. none the less i needed a job and got one. so i advise you to do what ever it takes to get any job right now.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkramer View Post
i advise lying for any job at this time. i graduated this June with a degree in international political science and after searching for jobs one year prior to graduation i finally landed a crappy little security guard position about 2 weeks after graduation by lying. basically i told them i was planning on going in to law enforcement and because of this they hired me. i do have respect for those in law enforcement but i certainly dont have what it takes for the job. none the less i needed a job and got one. so i advise you to do what ever it takes to get any job right now.
That is one thing. I'm afraid of lying. I try to be as honest as I can be. If I lied,someone might find out sooner or later, and then I would be in deep water.

I am kind of afraid of driving. I tend to panic easily and sometimes I get a lapse in attention span. My big fear is being on the expressway driving.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
I am kind of afraid of driving. I tend to panic easily and sometimes I get a lapse in attention span. My big fear is being on the expressway driving.
This fear is because you have not done it. You would start on slower roads and you would get used to that after a few months. You dont ever have to drive the expressway if you dont want to. Just keep telling yourself that, because it is true. There are back roads to everywhere.

I always drove and always had cars. But there was maybe 1 month where I didnt drive for some reason. I cant remember why. Anyway, after that month long break, I lost my confidence in driving. I got anxious when thinking about getting back behind the wheel. Scared about driving during rush hour, driving in the rain. And I was nervous for the first couple days. But then it all went away once I started in a normal driving routine again.

Your brain is probably playing these same games with you. You dont have the confidence. that's all. But you start out going on slow, less traveled roads. Parking lots. Plan your trips when weather is nice. You get better very quickly. You CAN do this. Just not overnight.

Do you have a drivers' license? If not, work on getting a learners' permit. If you get a job, you can pay for driving lessons. if your parents give you Christmas gifts based on requests, ask for driving lessons.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This fear is because you have not done it. You would start on slower roads and you would get used to that after a few months. You dont ever have to drive the expressway if you dont want to. Just keep telling yourself that, because it is true. There are back roads to everywhere.

I always drove and always had cars. But there was maybe 1 month where I didnt drive for some reason. I cant remember why. Anyway, after that month long break, I lost my confidence in driving. I got anxious when thinking about getting back behind the wheel. Scared about driving during rush hour, driving in the rain. And I was nervous for the first couple days. But then it all went away once I started in a normal driving routine again.

Your brain is probably playing these same games with you. You dont have the confidence. that's all. But you start out going on slow, less traveled roads. Parking lots. Plan your trips when weather is nice. You get better very quickly. You CAN do this. Just not overnight.

Do you have a drivers' license? If not, work on getting a learners' permit. If you get a job, you can pay for driving lessons. if your parents give you Christmas gifts based on requests, ask for driving lessons.
I finally had my first driving lesson today in years. All I did was back out of the driveway and ride down to the cul-de-sac and back, and then practice backing out of the driveway. It was scary.

I don't have my driver's license yet.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
My cousin did a very smart thing last year: the second senior year started she started looking for work. mentioning that she would be graduating the following year. Her degree was a BA in Business Administration, within 6 months she got a job working for Target corporate.

My advice: you should have started looking while you were still in school...like a year out. It is very tough out there. Waiting until you've graduated is not wise. People with experience who have been laid off are taking 6-9 months to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search