U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 PM

48,139 posts, read 45,484,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Who told you that? The advisors, the professors, and the university? They have a business to protect.

I remember when I first started a 4 year university as an older adult. I was reading the flyers for all of the majors, and all of the jobs graduates can supposedly get. I felt for the impressionable youth with no life experience being preyed on by another facet of the corporate machine. Sure, major in Ancient Dung Studies and you can be making 6 figures. Students need to do their own research about majors.

Luckily, there are some jobs for people who studied geography. How many job postings do you see specifically requiring a degree in Ancient Dung Studies, or some of the other BS majors.

I don't think the jobs are plenty in any field right now. Some just better than others, but people are still facing fierce competition with other job seekers.
I've never heard anything about Ancient Dung Studies.

Anything I was told, I was told by my advisors and professors, who know people with jobs.

The problem is not finding a job posting that will accept a Geography degree. It is finding one that doesn't require any experience. I was told by a professor to look for entry level jobs. One question: WHERE ARE THE ENTRY LEVEL JOBS? I don't see any posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM

740 posts, read 1,879,746 times
At the last American Association of Geographers meet up we all sat around and decided to get rid of all the entry level jobs because some of the older folks were concerned that the youngin's with their fancy GIS and remote sensing tools would take the fun out of geography.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
At the last American Association of Geographers meet up we all sat around and decided to get rid of all the entry level jobs because some of the older folks were concerned that the youngin's with their fancy GIS and remote sensing tools would take the fun out of geography.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that.

However, what I need is a chance. I'm spending time working on skills I've gained in college, on a trial version ArcGIS 10.1 package. What I need is a chance. I need a chance to prove I can do the job. Even if it's entry level work.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,637,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is why I want to create a portfolio. I want to show that I can do it. I have a portfolio of maps. I'm trying to show anyone who asks for experience "I can do the job". I'm starting to wonder if it will ever be enough.
The problem is in thinking a degree in anything gives you the skills or knowledge to do a job.

College is now a glorified trade school because so many people go to college thinking it will get them a job and all it gets you is some education and a degree unless it's a college program like nursing where you get clinical experience.

The problem with your degree is that you have no experience in the field until you have job experience in the field and also there are probably not very many employers looking for people with your major in your small hometown.

Sometimes you have to look in oddball places if you have certain degrees and don't want to relocate. At the very least join a society of geographers, find out specifically where others with your degree are working, what kind of associated jobs there actually are out there and you may need to prepare yourself to relocate.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,761 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as to say that.

However, what I need is a chance. I'm spending time working on skills I've gained in college, on a trial version ArcGIS 10.1 package. What I need is a chance. I need a chance to prove I can do the job. Even if it's entry level work.
Aye this is what basically every college grad is asking for, a chance, just a chance. I don't care if its working for free, if the pay is low, if the hours are terrible, if I am only per-diem, just a chance, give a me a chance to show my skills, to devolop my skills.

Problem is many employers don't want to give that chance or they can afford not to, they can hold out and be picky- Yes I can hire you and take a chance or I can wait and surely some other guy with xpereince will come along and I will just take him.

Its the same old story everyone wants expereince yet no one is willing to give it, instead lets just keep passing the buck and you, and all the job seeker can do is to keep looking, keep searching.

I don't think any college grad is asking to make 50k straight out, vice president, on track to become CEO in 2 years. A chance, an opportuinty is all we are asking, yet finding that opportuinity is devilishly hard

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Aye this is what basically every college grad is asking for, a chance, just a chance. I don't care if its working for free, if the pay is low, if the hours are terrible, if I am only per-diem, just a chance, give a me a chance to show my skills, to devolop my skills.

Problem is many employers don't want to give that chance or they can afford not to, they can hold out and be picky- Yes I can hire you and take a chance or I can wait and surely some other guy with xpereince will come along and I will just take him.

Its the same old story everyone wants expereince yet no one is willing to give it, instead lets just keep passing the buck and you, and all the job seeker can do is to keep looking, keep searching.

I don't think any college grad is asking to make 50k straight out, vice president, on track to become CEO in 2 years. A chance, an opportuinty is all we are asking, yet finding that opportuinity is devilishly hard
In short, the best I can do is to keep looking and keep begging, and ever that isn't enough.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,761 times
in short yes, all you can do is look harder, keep going to the job fairs etc... or heck forget about "your dream field of work" and look into something unrelated to your degree

Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
in short yes, all you can do is look harder, keep going to the job fairs etc... or heck forget about "your dream field of work" and look into something unrelated to your degree
The thing is, I can't just forget about my dream field. If I was to do that, what would be the point of going to college?

And I haven't been to any job fair because I don't have the transportation to do so.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is in thinking a degree in anything gives you the skills or knowledge to do a job.

College is now a glorified trade school because so many people go to college thinking it will get them a job and all it gets you is some education and a degree unless it's a college program like nursing where you get clinical experience.

The problem with your degree is that you have no experience in the field until you have job experience in the field and also there are probably not very many employers looking for people with your major in your small hometown.

Sometimes you have to look in oddball places if you have certain degrees and don't want to relocate. At the very least join a society of geographers, find out specifically where others with your degree are working, what kind of associated jobs there actually are out there and you may need to prepare yourself to relocate.
Then how does a person like me get experience?

And by the way, I would have to pay in order to join a society of geographers. Membership is not free. If it was free, I would have done it by now.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 PM

101 posts, read 150,360 times
Quote:
The thing is, I can't just forget about my dream field. If I was to do that, what would be the point of going to college?

And I haven't been to any job fair because I don't have the transportation to do so.
I understand the feeling. I didn't graduate with the same degree you did, but I did pick a field that doesn't really have a lot of opportunity in it. And the opportunities that do come up have a lot of competition...think 700+ applicants for one opening.

I know it's hard to give up on your dream, but there comes a time where you have to be practical and start thinking about things like saving up for a car or a place of your own. I'm currently exploring another field and may volunteer once a week in it so I can keep my full-time job while seeing if this path is right for me. I don't want to give up either, but I think it might be for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or