U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 01:42 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
I understand the feeling. I didn't graduate with the same degree you did, but I did pick a field that doesn't really have a lot of opportunity in it. And the opportunities that do come up have a lot of competition...think 700+ applicants for one opening.

I know it's hard to give up on your dream, but there comes a time where you have to be practical and start thinking about things like saving up for a car or a place of your own. I'm currently exploring another field and may volunteer once a week in it so I can keep my full-time job while seeing if this path is right for me. I don't want to give up either, but I think it might be for the better.

This, there comes some point where if after a great period of time you cannot find work/internship in your dream field you may have to look somewhere else. How long can you hold out, live with the parents etc... while searching for that dream position? 1 year, 2 years, 3 years still looking and no luck. Imagine, going 4 years searching for that dream job and still nothing

And if you do land some other job that doesnt mean you give up on the dream job, you still look for the ideal work and if you land then you can quit your "other job" and start doing what you love.

Dreams are great, they are vital but at some point you got to be making money, as the poster above mentioned "practical".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
There's nothing wrong with accepting a very compromised situation, do it, and continue to look for improvement. I call it "circling the airport." Remember, the perfect is always the enemy of the good.
I continue to suggest that OP forget about an obvious phobia for a driver's license/then car/then crummy job commutable from parents. If OP cannot get a license for emotional reasons, this is probably not the first thing to be addressed.
There are plenty of places to have a crummy job and use public transport.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Update: I just got turned down for a position. Whenever I tell people "jobs require experience", I'm told "apply anyway". I did just that. I feel like some people don't understand "people mean what they say on those job posting. When they say they need 3 years experience, they mean it".

I have also sent out emails to cartographic companies expressing any kind of interest in working for their company. I have even sent a portfolio of my work in addition to a resume. I get told "good work, but we don't have any position". I tell them I'm willing to start from the bottom and work my way up. I do everything I can to stand out, and it still isn't enough.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,598,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Update: I just got turned down for a position. Whenever I tell people "jobs require experience", I'm told "apply anyway". I did just that. I feel like some people don't understand "people mean what they say on those job posting. When they say they need 3 years experience, they mean it".

I have also sent out emails to cartographic companies expressing any kind of interest in working for their company. I have even sent a portfolio of my work in addition to a resume. I get told "good work, but we don't have any position". I tell them I'm willing to start from the bottom and work my way up. I do everything I can to stand out, and it still isn't enough.

Going after your target job (related to your degree) is Plan A.

Plan B should also be in full gear where you are attempting to get any job that will 1) give you money and get you out of your parents house and 2) hopefully give you some kind if experience that will help with Plan A.

Did you apply for hospital jobs in Atlanta (bus line area)? Low level jobs anywhere in Atlanta along the bus line so you can get a small apartment and move in town?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Going after your target job (related to your degree) is Plan A.

Plan B should also be in full gear where you are attempting to get any job that will 1) give you money and get you out of your parents house and 2) hopefully give you some kind if experience that will help with Plan A.

Did you apply for hospital jobs in Atlanta (bus line area)? Low level jobs anywhere in Atlanta along the bus line so you can get a small apartment and move in town?
I did look at the hospital jobs. After I took the advice of someone who told me "apply for every GIS job you can, no matter what the requirements say". I was dismayed by the fact that most hospital jobs required some experience(at least the ones I saw). This was weeks ago, so I thought it wouldn't work. Now I'm finding myself going back to the hospital jobs.

One thing though, I don't know how the security jobs will work out. I'm counting on the fact that I might actually get into a physical altercation with someone one the job because of the nature of the job.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,293,856 times
Quote:
But the thing is, I'm not happy with working any of those jobs. And it is also about family history. My father did not come from a rich family by any stretch. He came from a working class African-American family and he grew up in the late 1960's-early 1970s(he was still in elementary school when JFK got shot). His father would show him his hands and say "get your education, don't do what I do for a living". My father's parents were migrants from Mississippi and they got blue collar jobs in the North. My father ended up being born and raised in the North and got an education there. His parents wanted better for my father than what they had. Yes, they owned their own home and were able to provide for their children. I wouldn't call them poor by any means, but they didn't have a good education, so they were limited in what kinds of jobs they could have. They wanted my father and his sister to move up, get an education, and have better things than what they had. My father and my aunt both got their college degrees, and no sooner did my father get his bachelor's degree(late 1970s), he got a good job where he sat as a desk and designed things. He was paid very good money and could buy his own car off the lot. He got laid off later and then got his master's degree. He is working and he owns a house nicer than what his parents had. His parents wanted him to do better and have more than what they had. My father wants me to have more and to do better. I want to as well.

My father also told me that those blue collar jobs can really do damage to a body. He knows people who grew old quickly because of such jobs.

Why should college only be a luxury for the rich? That is like saying "You were born into a working class background, just be happy to stay there". I think differently. I don't want to flip burgers for a living. For me it's a step down. It goes against what I strive for. If I'm willing to work for a career such as cartography, meteorology, astronomy, or the like, then why would I be happy to flip burgers? To me, it's not about being "too good to flip burgers or be a garbage man". To me, it's about "I never wanted to do it in the first place". I don't consider myself lazy for not wanting to flip burgers or be a garbage man. I call it being goal oriented and going for what you want.
No, but you do think you're "too good", don't you?

If you can't fnd a job and you refuse to "work down" in something like food services and you don't want to move back in with your parents, just what are you going to do?

Seriously, things are what they are today and it isn't as rosy as it should be.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
No, but you do think you're "too good", don't you?

If you can't fnd a job and you refuse to "work down" in something like food services and you don't want to move back in with your parents, just what are you going to do?

Seriously, things are what they are today and it isn't as rosy as it should be.
I've already moved back in with my parents, and my father doesn't recommend I take a food service job.

The point of my statement wasn't a matter of "being too good to work a certain job". My point was that I didn't work my rear off in college only to "work down" as you say. My point was this. It is not a matter of "will I". If I have to, then I will. However, it is a matter of "I went to college and did all that work, and the best I can get now if flipping burgers"? I think differently. I feel that I worked hard in college, and I should get something for it.

Besides, I started this thread because I wanted to know if anyone knew of any jobs in my field.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,005,324 times
Quote:
I've already moved back in with my parents, and my father doesn't recommend I take a food service job.
He may be your father, but you're in the drivers seat of your life now. YOU need to make the call regarding what's best for you. You're the one with the most at stake.

Quote:
The point of my statement wasn't a matter of "being too good to work a certain job". My point was that I didn't work my rear off in college only to "work down" as you say. My point was this. It is not a matter of "will I". If I have to, then I will. However, it is a matter of "I went to college and did all that work, and the best I can get now if flipping burgers"? I think differently. I feel that I worked hard in college, and I should get something for it.
Yea, but the reality is, millions of others have done the same thing, and tons of them are also have trouble finding work. That's what you're up against. Setting the bar too high may simply cause you to stagnate. You desperately need some experience of any kind at this point. At least something that says you are capable of showing up every day and are a reliable worker. That is 50% of any job right there.

You should be proud of earning a degree. Yes, it takes work. I guarantee it's NOTHING compared to how hard you have to work at life to be successfully. It doesn't hold a candle to the frustration, sweat equity and despair that many go through as they climb their way to a respectable position in this country. Go talk to an immigrant who comes to this country with nothing and makes something of themselves if you want to talk about working your rear off.

And it's a recession. There are many experienced workers who have done everything right and invested great time and energy perfecting their abilities. Even they are having trouble. Yes, for the time being, you may have to flip burgers if that's all the economy demands of you at this point. Not ideal, but the alternative is to sit idle, send out applications, and hoping for the best.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times
it goes without saying but the "sit idle sending out apps and hoping for the best" will drive you mad, days turn to weeks, weeks to months and dear god months to more months maybe even year(s) waiting for that dream job

Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
it goes without saying but the "sit idle sending out apps and hoping for the best" will drive you mad, days turn to weeks, weeks to months and dear god months to more months maybe even year(s) waiting for that dream job
I've even gone for jobs that I don't feel I should be working, that I feel are below what my skill set is. I went after it anyway. Where I live, I don't know any places that are hiring, and they're all far away. Most of the time, my sister has the car, so it doesn't matter if I know how to drive or not. I had my first driving lesson in a long time a few weeks ago. However, it doesn't matter if I have no ride to work(if I get a job).

I was talking to a friend this afternoon. From what I'm told, my degree could actually hold me back in terms of getting a "low end job". The way it was explained, since I have a degree, I would eventually try to get a better job and leave. I'm not considered a sure thing because of my education. I'm considered "overqualified" for that reason. That is how it was explained to me.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or