U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 21 days ago)
 
48,288 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Reputation: 15366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
He may be your father, but you're in the drivers seat of your life now. YOU need to make the call regarding what's best for you. You're the one with the most at stake.



Yea, but the reality is, millions of others have done the same thing, and tons of them are also have trouble finding work. That's what you're up against. Setting the bar too high may simply cause you to stagnate. You desperately need some experience of any kind at this point. At least something that says you are capable of showing up every day and are a reliable worker. That is 50% of any job right there.

You should be proud of earning a degree. Yes, it takes work. I guarantee it's NOTHING compared to how hard you have to work at life to be successfully. It doesn't hold a candle to the frustration, sweat equity and despair that many go through as they climb their way to a respectable position in this country. Go talk to an immigrant who comes to this country with nothing and makes something of themselves if you want to talk about working your rear off.

And it's a recession. There are many experienced workers who have done everything right and invested great time and energy perfecting their abilities. Even they are having trouble. Yes, for the time being, you may have to flip burgers if that's all the economy demands of you at this point. Not ideal, but the alternative is to sit idle, send out applications, and hoping for the best.
My father is talking to me from the perspective of "you did all of that work. you should wait on a job that you actually want".

I know that the situation is grim. What getting me is that I know other college grads from 2012. I know quite a few in my major that have jobs, jobs that have to do with their major. I'm talking about the geography/GIS majors. I'm the one who doesn't have a job. How are they getting jobs and not me? That is what is bothering me.

I'm proud that I have a degree. I'm also afraid to set the bar low. I feel humiliated when I do that. At this point, it isn't even a matter of getting a job flipping burgers. If I have no other choice, then I will have to flip burgers. It is a matter can I even get to any places near where I live. I don't have a car. Even if I got my license, my sister has the car the majority of the time. This basically leaves me stranded at my house most days. The nearest places that I could get a job are not in within walking distance. To describe where I live, it is a rural area. Everything is spread out, trees everywhere. The road my subdivision is on is a basically a two lane road with no sidewalks, barely a shoulder on the road, and it's basically dangerous to walk or bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM
 
15,393 posts, read 17,659,527 times
Reputation: 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My father is talking to me from the perspective of "you did all of that work. you should wait on a job that you actually want".

I know that the situation is grim. What getting me is that I know other college grads from 2012. I know quite a few in my major that have jobs, jobs that have to do with their major. I'm talking about the geography/GIS majors. I'm the one who doesn't have a job. How are they getting jobs and not me? That is what is bothering me.

I'm proud that I have a degree. I'm also afraid to set the bar low. I feel humiliated when I do that. At this point, it isn't even a matter of getting a job flipping burgers. If I have no other choice, then I will have to flip burgers. It is a matter can I even get to any places near where I live. I don't have a car. Even if I got my license, my sister has the car the majority of the time. This basically leaves me stranded at my house most days. The nearest places that I could get a job are not in within walking distance. To describe where I live, it is a rural area. Everything is spread out, trees everywhere. The road my subdivision is on is a basically a two lane road with no sidewalks, barely a shoulder on the road, and it's basically dangerous to walk or bike.
You are sounding like a 16 year old about the car.

Learn how to drive and get a license. Then find a job that pays money even if outside your degree. It's tempy and just for money. then buy a car so you can get to work . If you have to demand use of the family car from your sister for a few weeks so you can get to work, then do it and get your parents to approve the timing of you getting the car. If you have to RENT A CAR for a month or two to get to work, DO IT. grow up.

If the car is a problem for you, the look for jobs in dowtown atlanta and go find an apartment near work or near the bus line. Stay in a hotel for a few weeks to get to work at atlanta if you must.

You need to stop creating these hurdles in life about 1) the car/driving and 2) living in a suburb.

Once you get a car or rent a car, you will be able to expand your world to find jobs anywhere, in your field. But get any job now if you need money to get by.

Once you start getting money from any job, you will save money and be able to search other states for jobs in your field...and will have to money to travel and move to the states when you need to interview or move.


Did you search every county/city/state/fed web site for jobs last week....ALL counties in your state? And other states that you would move to? do this every single week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,071,552 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've even gone for jobs that I don't feel I should be working, that I feel are below what my skill set is. I went after it anyway. Where I live, I don't know any places that are hiring, and they're all far away. Most of the time, my sister has the car, so it doesn't matter if I know how to drive or not. I had my first driving lesson in a long time a few weeks ago. However, it doesn't matter if I have no ride to work(if I get a job).

I was talking to a friend this afternoon. From what I'm told, my degree could actually hold me back in terms of getting a "low end job". The way it was explained, since I have a degree, I would eventually try to get a better job and leave. I'm not considered a sure thing because of my education. I'm considered "overqualified" for that reason. That is how it was explained to me.

What do you think?
I have heard the same thing as your friend, that in some cases when you apply for the lower end stuff that having a degree is determental because the employer will assume that as soon as you find a better job you will just take off ( lets say as opposed to a grad with only a high-school degree who will be more likely to stick it out)-thus why should the employer take time to hire you...

I don't know if this is true or not, maybe it is for certain jobs-I don't know.

In regards to driving, I belive you should learn how to drive first, regardless or naught if you have a car. Unless you live in NY for example and can take the subway/train/bus to work everyday, you need to be able to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,684 posts, read 17,640,506 times
Reputation: 27767
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My father is talking to me from the perspective of "you did all of that work. you should wait on a job that you actually want".

I know that the situation is grim. What getting me is that I know other college grads from 2012. I know quite a few in my major that have jobs, jobs that have to do with their major. I'm talking about the geography/GIS majors. I'm the one who doesn't have a job. How are they getting jobs and not me? That is what is bothering me.

I'm proud that I have a degree. I'm also afraid to set the bar low. I feel humiliated when I do that. At this point, it isn't even a matter of getting a job flipping burgers. If I have no other choice, then I will have to flip burgers. It is a matter can I even get to any places near where I live. I don't have a car. Even if I got my license, my sister has the car the majority of the time. This basically leaves me stranded at my house most days. The nearest places that I could get a job are not in within walking distance. To describe where I live, it is a rural area. Everything is spread out, trees everywhere. The road my subdivision is on is a basically a two lane road with no sidewalks, barely a shoulder on the road, and it's basically dangerous to walk or bike.
Knowing how to drive and having a driver's license is one of life's basics and is expected of everyone. People that live in big cities may not HAVE to have a car, but everyone should at least learn how to drive. I would think that at your age you would want to have the independence of at least being able to get yourself from A to B without relying on other people or public transit. You need to take a driver's ed course to get this down. Without a driver's license in the suburbs, you're pretty much unemployable.

At this point, you need some job, any job, to show that you know the rudiments of being an employee - dressing appropriately, showing up on time, knowing how to address a customer, etc. Your problem is that most of your peers probably have driver's licenses, cars, and have worked a couple of jobs before. Assuming that everything else is equal, that's why they are getting jobs and you aren't. They have the basics down of being an adult and you seemingly don't.

You're in a pretty decent hole here and idling looking for the perfect position is just digging deeper. Once you get a job, a license, and are getting on the right course, then you can worry about getting a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 21 days ago)
 
48,288 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You are sounding like a 16 year old about the car.

Learn how to drive and get a license. Then find a job that pays money even if outside your degree. It's tempy and just for money. then buy a car so you can get to work . If you have to demand use of the family car from your sister for a few weeks so you can get to work, then do it and get your parents to approve the timing of you getting the car. If you have to RENT A CAR for a month or two to get to work, DO IT. grow up.

If the car is a problem for you, the look for jobs in dowtown atlanta and go find an apartment near work or near the bus line. Stay in a hotel for a few weeks to get to work at atlanta if you must.

You need to stop creating these hurdles in life about 1) the car/driving and 2) living in a suburb.

Once you get a car or rent a car, you will be able to expand your world to find jobs anywhere, in your field. But get any job now if you need money to get by.

Once you start getting money from any job, you will save money and be able to search other states for jobs in your field...and will have to money to travel and move to the states when you need to interview or move.


Did you search every county/city/state/fed web site for jobs last week....ALL counties in your state? And other states that you would move to? do this every single week.
I'm just telling you the truth. I sound like a 16 year old to you, but the fact is, there are only two cars to every 2.5 people. One family member is out of town with the car working an out of town job. My sister has the other car most of the time. My point isn't that I wouldn't learn how to drive. My point is that half of the time, the car is never there to use. That is what I am trying to tell you. How can I keep any job if I can't get to any job? And how can I rent a car if I don't have the money to rent it with?

I've been searching agencies in this state, and states across the country. I don't remember how many jobs I've applied to, but I've changed and updated my resume so many times I can't remember what it looked like the first time I updated it. I am looking all over. So far, I've been getting rejections. I'm only tell you the truth.

1) No car(My sister, who has a job, doesn't even want to talk to me half of the time, won't even give me a ride if I needed one).
2) No money to rent a car.

Tell me how I can work with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 21 days ago)
 
48,288 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I have heard the same thing as your friend, that in some cases when you apply for the lower end stuff that having a degree is determental because the employer will assume that as soon as you find a better job you will just take off ( lets say as opposed to a grad with only a high-school degree who will be more likely to stick it out)-thus why should the employer take time to hire you...

I don't know if this is true or not, maybe it is for certain jobs-I don't know.

In regards to driving, I belive you should learn how to drive first, regardless or naught if you have a car. Unless you live in NY for example and can take the subway/train/bus to work everyday, you need to be able to drive.
That is what I am being told. I never said I won't take a low end job. I never said I wouldn't. I said that even those jobs are getting harder to find.

And I am doing my part to learn how to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 21 days ago)
 
48,288 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Knowing how to drive and having a driver's license is one of life's basics and is expected of everyone. People that live in big cities may not HAVE to have a car, but everyone should at least learn how to drive. I would think that at your age you would want to have the independence of at least being able to get yourself from A to B without relying on other people or public transit. You need to take a driver's ed course to get this down. Without a driver's license in the suburbs, you're pretty much unemployable.

At this point, you need some job, any job, to show that you know the rudiments of being an employee - dressing appropriately, showing up on time, knowing how to address a customer, etc. Your problem is that most of your peers probably have driver's licenses, cars, and have worked a couple of jobs before. Assuming that everything else is equal, that's why they are getting jobs and you aren't. They have the basics down of being an adult and you seemingly don't.

You're in a pretty decent hole here and idling looking for the perfect position is just digging deeper. Once you get a job, a license, and are getting on the right course, then you can worry about getting a better job.
I never like to tell people I don't have my license. Not having a license never seemed abnormal to me. I didn't care what other people were doing. All I cared about was what I did. I never had an incentive to get my license. No girlfriend, no kind of life outside of school and home in high school. When I was in college, it was school, get on the internet, do whatever. The only time it ever bothered me is when I couldn't get a job. Now, the one reason I'm trying to get my driver's license is to survive. I've grown resentful of having to drive to get to a job. I wish I lived in a more urban place where I don't always have to depend on a car. However, it is one of those "I have to survive, so I guess I have no choice".

The thing about my not having a job is this. I never tell employers that I don't have a car or a license. I don't think my reason for being rejected for jobs has anything to do with me not having a license. I don't tell employers that I don't have a car or a license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM
 
15,393 posts, read 17,659,527 times
Reputation: 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How can I keep any job if I can't get to any job? And how can I rent a car if I don't have the money to rent it with?

...

Tell me how I can work with that.
Focus on jobs in Atlanta that are near the train and bus line.

Then the problem is getting to the bus line. You find a cheap apartment near the bus line or near the train. Borrow money for first month rent from your parents.

Else sleep in a homeless shelter for a week while you walk to the bus/train and then get to work. Then after you get the first paycheck, find an apartment or cheap hotel near work. Keep saving and saving.
----------------
Other option is to live at your parents and rent a car to drive to work. Borrow money from your parents for the first week or two for renting the car. Then once you get your first paycheck, start paying for the car yourself. After a month of working you will have some money built up and keep saving.

You can rent a car for probably $700/mo or so. Shop around. It is cheaper to rent by the month.

Your 2 hurdles are really really really massive. You must get creative and solve them.

Maybe you should go back to school and get a Masters in Computer Science so you can open your job opportunities up. then while in school you get a student loan and save some of the money from the student loan money for first month rent when you graduate. And also learn to drive while in school.

You really have the mentality of someone that is 16. Even those kids figure out how to get a car and get a job.

Can you get your hands on a few hundred dollars for rent at first. I think renting a car is really too much for you at this point since you dont have a license. Your best option is to move somewhere near the bus line or train line. You can rent a room ins someone's home for pretty cheap. It's usually a bedroom. GET CREATIVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 21 days ago)
 
48,288 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
You really have the mentality of someone that is 16. Even those kids figure out how to get a car and get a job.
I'm just telling you the truth of my situation. Maybe the reason I never figured out how to get a car is because up to age 18, I never worried about getting either. I never held any of work until I was 18, and lost my job after a week. The stretch between 2004-2010, I never held a job longer than 3 months, and spent more time unemployed than employed. This is something I don't put on my resume because employers don't need to know this. At age 16, I couldn't have cared less if I had a car or not. I didn't care if I didn't go to the movies that night. I never had a girlfriend, so it didn't matter. Outside of school and extracurricular activities, I didn't do alot of socializing. If I had alot more close friends in those days, and if I wasn't such a book nerd, I would have gone forth and long to get my license. I didn't. At 16, my only concern on a Friday night was watching TV, reading a book, listening to NPR, or riding my bicycle. I lived in my own world. Nothing else counted to me. Between 2011-2012, I've spent part of it playing catch up. I'm trying to catch up. Alot of this is new to me. I've never had a college degree before, until now. I've never had to go and buy a car, until now. Maybe I sound like a 16 year-old to you because maybe my social development in some ways stopped for a while. Maybe alot of things are new to me now, and I'm trying to catch up. Reality is hitting me like a Mack truck, and I'm trying to deal with it. Perhaps I'm trying to find ways to be creative because I'm in a desperate situation. The thing is, it's all new to me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
 
15,393 posts, read 17,659,527 times
Reputation: 13521
Keep in mind many people live without a car, even today. They move to cities and suburbs where they can walk to work or bike to work or walk to the train/bus. This can be done but you need to 1) focus on getting a job near the bus/train or within walking distance to a where you live.

Let the job decide where you move. Once you get the job, be ready to rent a room or small apartment.

I know, I know. Your next problem is...how do you get to the interview. think ahead of ways to solve all these things.

Research bus lines in the Atl suburbs also. You probably dont have to move downtown. A suburb with a bus line is possibly.

Heck, go to Peachtree city and you can get a golf cart and take that to/from work. This might be doable for you. Hmmm.

Seriously, check hospitals for work. the pay is better than fast food/retail and it looks better on the resume. Just a job for awhile until you save some money and get a job that matches your degree. A job (any job) will give you money and freedom to get out of the small town you are stuck in.

BTW, I am really trying to help you and I dont mean to sound too demanding. But I see you are stuck in a rut with the chicken/egg thing regarding your car/job situation. If you dont get creative then how will you ever find a job if you have no way to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top