U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Let the job decide where you move. Once you get the job, be ready to rent a room or small apartment.
Right now I am waiting on a job to call me back. My plan was "get a job far away from Paulding County, and then make my next move.

Quote:
Research bus lines in the Atl suburbs also. You probably dont have to move downtown. A suburb with a bus line is possibly.
I have done some research. I know how Cobb County bus lines work. Part of the reason I want to get back to Cobb County. My plan is to at least get a job in Kennesaw or Marietta. If I can do that, I can make my next move.

Quote:
Seriously, check hospitals for work. the pay is better than fast food/retail and it looks better on the resume. Just a job for awhile until you save some money and get a job that matches your degree. A job (any job) will give you money and freedom to get out of the small town you are stuck in.
I'm checking hospitals, I'm checking my old university. If I can get a job there, I can just go there. It's getting around the county I live in that's hard.

Quote:
If you dont get creative then how will you ever find a job if you have no way to get to work

That is one thing I'm trying to figure out. I've made an online portfolio for myself, showing what I can do. I just don't know anyone who wants my services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm just telling you the truth of my situation. Maybe the reason I never figured out how to get a car is because up to age 18, I never worried about getting either. I never held any of work until I was 18, and lost my job after a week. The stretch between 2004-2010, I never held a job longer than 3 months, and spent more time unemployed than employed. This is something I don't put on my resume because employers don't need to know this. At age 16, I couldn't have cared less if I had a car or not. I didn't care if I didn't go to the movies that night. I never had a girlfriend, so it didn't matter. Outside of school and extracurricular activities, I didn't do alot of socializing. If I had alot more close friends in those days, and if I wasn't such a book nerd, I would have gone forth and long to get my license. I didn't. At 16, my only concern on a Friday night was watching TV, reading a book, listening to NPR, or riding my bicycle. I lived in my own world. Nothing else counted to me. Between 2011-2012, I've spent part of it playing catch up. I'm trying to catch up. Alot of this is new to me. I've never had a college degree before, until now. I've never had to go and buy a car, until now. Maybe I sound like a 16 year-old to you because maybe my social development in some ways stopped for a while. Maybe alot of things are new to me now, and I'm trying to catch up. Reality is hitting me like a Mack truck, and I'm trying to deal with it. Perhaps I'm trying to find ways to be creative because I'm in a desperate situation. The thing is, it's all new to me now.
No one expects a kid under 18 to have really done much, but losing that job within a week is bad news. Not holding a job longer than three months over six years is going to make an employer flee from you. I'm going to guess you're 25-26 just by the info you've given. If that's true, not having a real job by your mid-20s is a serious, serious problem. Other than your degree, it sounds like you have next to nothing to put on a resume, and you need a plan.

First, you need to get a learner's permit and have your family teach you to drive or put yourself through driver's ed. This would really lighten your dependence on other people. It often takes six months or so after you get the permit to get your license. This must be done ASAP.

While you're waiting on the permit, volunteer at a church, charity, anything that can show you're active in society and provide references. This would also get you acclimated on how to be an employee. Try to volunteer at something in your field if at all possible. If you can land a job before you get a license, great, but a few positive references would go a long way for someone in your situation.

You aren't going to get a good job with your background (or lack thereof). There are simply too many people with good backgrounds competing for what few available jobs there are. You're going to have to take some low-end jobs and work yourself up. It's going to be tough and your life is probably going to suck for awhile. After a year or so in the labor force, you will have gained at least some experience to work in a more professional field. Hopefully you can get life back on track shortly.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
No one expects a kid under 18 to have really done much, but losing that job within a week is bad news. Not holding a job longer than three months over six years is going to make an employer flee from you. I'm going to guess you're 25-26 just by the info you've given. If that's true, not having a real job by your mid-20s is a serious, serious problem. Other than your degree, it sounds like you have next to nothing to put on a resume, and you need a plan

From 2004-2010, I never held a job for more than 3 months. However, I did hold a job from January 2011-May 2012. It was a student job. I also had an internship from January 2012-April 2012. Before then, I had problems holding a job. I only put work history from 2011-2012 on my resume, internship included. I was the type of person who was very booksmart, but barely knew how to function in the real world. I've been paying for it for years, but the magnitude of it didn't hit me until NOW. Nothing hit me as hard as THIS. I've always had a mentality of hating other people telling me what to do. I would either quit, or I got fired. 2011-2012 was the most consistent job holding period, because I basically learned to be deferential, even if it made me sick.

Quote:
First, you need to get a learner's permit and have your family teach you to drive or put yourself through driver's ed. This would really lighten your dependence on other people. It often takes six months or so after you get the permit to get your license. This must be done ASAP.
I already have a learner's permit. I don't have ANY money for driving lessons. I'm basically broke. I am getting driving lessons from my family. I'm still uncomfortable with driving. I'm afraid of other motorists still.

Quote:
While you're waiting on the permit, volunteer at a church, charity, anything that can show you're active in society and provide references. This would also get you acclimated on how to be an employee. Try to volunteer at something in your field if at all possible. If you can land a job before you get a license, great, but a few positive references would go a long way for someone in your situation.
I already have a permit. Again, for me, I have to be able to get to a church easily. The way it has worked for me, I severed ALL ties with the county I used to live in. Now, I'm back because I have nowhere else to go. I have to get away from Paulding County first, or at least get rides to places.

Quote:
You aren't going to get a good job with your background (or lack thereof). There are simply too many people with good backgrounds competing for what few available jobs there are. You're going to have to take some low-end jobs and work yourself up. It's going to be tough and your life is probably going to suck for awhile. After a year or so in the labor force, you will have gained at least some experience to work in a more professional field. Hopefully you can get life back on track shortly.
Again, I should have given more detail. I only put my work history from 2011 onward on my resume. I have 16 months in the work force listed on my resume, 3 of those holding a job and an internship. I do not believe that I won't find a job that is good. The thing about taking a low end job is this. I've basically been told that I'm overqualified for a low end job, the mentality being "why should I hire him if I know that he will be gone once a better job comes". I'm fighting against that too.

My thing is, how are other people with my major getting jobs?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM

One thing I've had to think about as I was applying for jobs was this. I've basically been institutionalized, in a strange way. I've never done time in prison. I'm talking about a different kind of institutionalizing. The university became more like home than the world outside of it. For a long time, I couldn't function without it. I knew at age 18 I wasn't prepared for the real world. In fact, up until 2011, I knew I wouldn't make it in the real world. The only reason I was rushing to get out of college is so that I would not feel like a dinosaur in college. Other reasons included that eventually I wouldn't have any money for college. From 2011-2012, it was a time of playing catch up. I got a student job with the university. I had connections, so I got the job. I almost didn't get an internship, but I pulled it off. May 2012, everything ends. Being that it was a student job, I was required to stop working after a certain day. Internship gone too. Summer semester was the last stretch. July 2012, I graduated.

The thing is, I held a job longer working for the university than I did working outside of it. In the outside, if I had problems on the job, I walked out before I got fired. Today, I am paying for being institutionalized. I never anticipated being in the real world. Now it's hitting me like crazy. This is one of the reasons unemployment is hitting me so bad. Before, I was a student. I expected not to work. Now I expect to work, and I have a degree, so my expectations are much higher. I had to think about alot of this because I wondered if one of the reasons I can't find a job is because I graduated from college more unprepared than I thought. Perhaps knowing how to write a cover letter and a resume isn't enough. I learned how to write those because I was desperate. For a long time I never knew how to write a resume. Actually, alot of things I did, I only looked for jobs because I was broke and desperate. In the Spring 2012 semester, I could see myself getting out, so I started looking for jobs. Now it's for real.

In fact, the reason I am the way I am today is because when I was in high school, I couldn't think 10, 15 years down the road. At most, I might think about a few months down the road. 9 years ago, I was a senior contemplating college, but I didn't see it coming. A few of my classmates didn't see college in their future. For them, it was graduate from high school, get a job(or join the military), get married, have kids, and many have done that. I didn't see any of that for me. At 18, I didn't have the temperament to hold a job, have a romantic relationship(although I wanted one), be in the military(I have a bit of a defiant streak) or take care of anyone(I could barely take care of me). I sometimes wonder if I had gotten a job straight out of high school, and skipped college. Would I be happier? Probably not. I consider my degree an accomplishment. I think about this because of what I'm seeing out of my classmates. They have lives that would seem ridiculous for ME. I'm 26, and I know some people who went to my high school, some younger than me, who are married and have kids, and hold jobs I could never be happy having. However, they seem much happier than I am. Their happiness is higher. This is where I'm questioning my life.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-11-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM

419 posts, read 709,208 times
Would going back to school and attempting to remain in the field of academia be an option you could take? I mean, it sounds like you're quite comfortable in the academia env.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM

110 posts, read 347,298 times
You're obviously very intelligent, and employers will pick up on that during your one-on-one interviews. Having a BA does hurt you (as opposed to a BS) when it comes to a field specific work, such as a position requiring Geology at the USGS. I don't think it's a game killer though, because there are field related jobs that will be open to BA positions.

Alternatively, some jobs require any college degree for entry level positions, but don't care what it's in. These types of positions really just care that you can be a creative problem solver and a base level of competence / literacy, so a college degree is just a convenient measuring stick.

It depends on whether you want to work specifically in Geology, or if any job (related to the field or not) will suffice for now.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:00 PM

570 posts, read 1,504,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

From 2004-2010, I never held a job for more than 3 months. However, I did hold a job from January 2011-May 2012. It was a student job. I also had an internship from January 2012-April 2012. Before then, I had problems holding a job. I only put work history from 2011-2012 on my resume, internship included. I was the type of person who was very booksmart, but barely knew how to function in the real world. I've been paying for it for years, but the magnitude of it didn't hit me until NOW. Nothing hit me as hard as THIS. I've always had a mentality of hating other people telling me what to do. I would either quit, or I got fired. 2011-2012 was the most consistent job holding period, because I basically learned to be deferential, even if it made me sick.

The thing is, I held a job longer working for the university than I did working outside of it. In the outside, if I had problems on the job, I walked out before I got fired. Today, I am paying for being institutionalized. I never anticipated being in the real world. Now it's hitting me like crazy. This is one of the reasons unemployment is hitting me so bad. Before, I was a student. I expected not to work. Now I expect to work, and I have a degree, so my expectations are much higher. I had to think about alot of this because I wondered if one of the reasons I can't find a job is because I graduated from college more unprepared than I thought. Perhaps knowing how to write a cover letter and a resume isn't enough. I learned how to write those because I was desperate. For a long time I never knew how to write a resume. Actually, alot of things I did, I only looked for jobs because I was broke and desperate. In the Spring 2012 semester, I could see myself getting out, so I started looking for jobs. Now it's for real.
wait, how can you hate other people telling you what to do and finish college? School and professors will always tell you what, how, and when to do stuffs.

It's the same for work.

it sounds like you are a very lazy person.

Last edited by spotlesseden; 09-11-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
wait, how can you hate other people telling you what to do and finish college? School and professors will always tell you what, how, and when to do stuffs.

It's the same for work.

it sounds like you are a very lazy person.
I think you misunderstood my whole post. I said that coming out of high school, I didn't have the temperament to do things that some of my classmates were doing. I had to learn how to be deferential, to take orders without complaining. I had to learn that. I had to learn that everywhere I go, I'm going to have a boss. It didn't kick in until I was 24 or 25 and I was holding a job for more than 3 months. I learned that if I even look upset, I lose respect. Most other jobs, I never learned that. I had a "clock in, do this horrible job, then clock out". When I had a job I actually like, my student assistant job, I was willing to be deferential, I was willing to be a team player, to stick it out. I was alot closer with my boss than I was at other jobs. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey.

What I was trying to convey is that I matured alot later than most people I know, and for that reason, I'm trying to catch up. I still have growing up to do.

I never said I wouldn't do what I'm told. I will do what I have to do if it means I keep my job. How does not liking being told what to do make a person lazy if said person is willing to do what he or she doesn't like? I'm willing if it means I take home a paycheck. I had to learn it at my last job.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
You're obviously very intelligent, and employers will pick up on that during your one-on-one interviews. Having a BA does hurt you (as opposed to a BS) when it comes to a field specific work, such as a position requiring Geology at the USGS. I don't think it's a game killer though, because there are field related jobs that will be open to BA positions.

Alternatively, some jobs require any college degree for entry level positions, but don't care what it's in. These types of positions really just care that you can be a creative problem solver and a base level of competence / literacy, so a college degree is just a convenient measuring stick.

It depends on whether you want to work specifically in Geology, or if any job (related to the field or not) will suffice for now.
My field is geography. I don't consider myself a slouch by any means. I consider myself determined. I have looked at jobs with the USGS. I've applied through there and I've been rejected every time.

Currently I'm looking for entry level positions.

What annoys me though is that so many people ask "are you going to teach"? I get annoyed because I know you can do more than teach with a Geography degree. I should know because I've looked up jobs.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Would going back to school and attempting to remain in the field of academia be an option you could take? I mean, it sounds like you're quite comfortable in the academia env.
I became too comfortable, to the point where I never learned how to function outside of academia. Part of me graduating from college was me putting academia behind me for now, and learning how to succeed in the world outside of academia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or