U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 6,645 times

Advertisements

The way things happened kind of in order. I was hired at a disbatching job. At first everyone was so nice to me I slowly found out that the woman in charge of my department was very territorial. Each Day I would noticed that she was teaching me the wrong way to do things. Then she started giving me bad reviews that I signed not knowing you could disagree in writing. Pretty much she made everyday a living nightmare. I just tried to smile everyday so she didn't think she got to me. She had many meetings with upper management that I now know were all about bashing me. I stayed in disbatch for a few more weeks with the operations manager pretty much on her side. He stated calling me names like football head and kept telling everyone that I stunk. I guess cause I would wear perfume that he or they did not like. They even had people from other departments come in to smell me. One day I did end up crying that really got them all going. Everyone in my department kept snickering and saying how they love making weak people cry. They did it in a way that they didn't say it directly to me, they would just say things to each other as I was sitting directly next to them. I never stood up for myself and foolishly I never made a report. The dibatch manager finally had me moved to billing after I was told by her " you just are not learning like we thought you would , you are what people would call slow". At the time the only thing that made me feel better was that another manager told me in his words 'the real reason I was being moved. He said the company had hostile work environments and major dysfunction in certain departments. If he took me out of the department he thought had the problems than I couldn't be blamed for things since I was the low man on the totem pole. He claimed he would then be able to see who the real problem was. Acting as if he already knew it was the woman that had been causing me so many problems. Soon after that the operations manager asked me if my mom smoked crack and if I had a learning disability. Along with a awful rumor that I said the owners son who worked there sexually harassed me. It was definitely NOT TRUE. Later I would learn from other employees that I was being asked if my mom smoked crack and if I had a learning disability because the disbatch manager in these meetings would completely put me down and make fun of me, along with placing blame on me for mistakes she made. All along I felt If I did make any mistakes it was because of a training incompetence. Once I moved to billing for about one week I flourished working really hard at learning a new type of work. I was given a new review that stated I was a learning quickly and doing very well. (More detailed than that though). This review being completely different from the other departments review. How can you get to totally different reviews with the same points brought up in each and two totally different views on them ( example of review question & answer: How do you see the employee improving? Answer of dibatch manager, employee is not retaining any instructions. She needs improvement on every level. Answer of billing manager, employee is learning at a exemplary level. Strong customer service skills. Improvement needed in some areas. I would have to have two different personalities for both of the statements to be true. Besides that all the girls in billing seemed to enjoy me working with them. After about a week we discussed how the company was trying to get rid of the department I was in. I did not pay much attention at the time. I just noticed over the next few days the billing girls were not training me anymore. They seemed to be trying to make me uncomfortable. Then one morning after they had a meeting cause a manager recently retired from another job and was able to take on more work from the billing department. ( trying to save the company money ) The two girls went on and on about maybe having to find new jobs. I had no idea what that was about at the time. Later that day I asked to use the phone and was told to use my computer so I didn't hold up the lines. I worked for a transport company. All the phone lines were used for customers and the phone rang about every half minute. All in all I used my computer to text my husband. Shortly after I was called in to the office and told " you finally gave me a real reason to fire you". Have a great day and leave this office. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone know if I can file for unemployment? I was told the reason for being fired is because I sent a text from a company computer. Now many other employees used their computers for looking up vacations, ordering flowers and dating sites. I had no warning about using the computer for texting or sending emails nor was there any written rules about it. I only knew by hear say that someone was almost fired for going on dating sites and facebook. The main points in me asking this is cause I was told to use the computer instead of the phone. I was told they didn't really need me in the department I was in. The owner thought I accused his son of harassment. If anyone has any opinions or thinks I can qualify for unemployment please feel free to post...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,666,166 times
Here are the search results on Yahoo using "geography degree job leads" geography degree job leads - Yahoo! Search Results Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,666,166 times
Threepeasinalilpod...Here's my opinion Beside maybe starting a new thread with this post....You should copy all you've written and go to the Dept of Labor web page for your state and file a complaint the main page http://www.dol.gov/ "termination" a "complaint" page https://search.usa.gov/search?affili...laint&x=25&y=8 send them your post in an email. Or Better yet call first thing Monday, talk to someone on the phone or in person if you live close enough...Send them your lengthy post after you talk to someone and ask their email...I'm not an attorney but I think you have a labor case, probably on several levels, harassment, sexual discrimination, hostile work environment.......Sorry that you went through such horrible experiences. What a bunch of pigs....If you don't get a Dept of labor attorney or person to listen, go seek a consultation w/ a labor lawyer....I hope that you sue this companies butts off!!

Last edited by JanND; 09-15-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: link

Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM

47,981 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here are the search results on Yahoo using "geography degree job leads" geography degree job leads - Yahoo! Search Results Hope this helps.
I have GeographyJobs as a "favorite" saved,so I've been checking there.

I see you live in North Dakota. Do you know of anything there?

I also have been checking GIS Jobs Clearinghouse.

I applied to a few more jobs this week.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepeasinalilpod View Post
The way things happened kind of in order. I was hired at a disbatching job. At first everyone was so nice to me I slowly found out that the woman in charge of my department was very territorial. Each Day I would noticed that she was teaching me the wrong way to do things. Then she started giving me bad reviews that I signed not knowing you could disagree in writing. Pretty much she made everyday a living nightmare. I just tried to smile everyday so she didn't think she got to me. She had many meetings with upper management that I now know were all about bashing me. I stayed in disbatch for a few more weeks with the operations manager pretty much on her side. He stated calling me names like football head and kept telling everyone that I stunk. I guess cause I would wear perfume that he or they did not like. They even had people from other departments come in to smell me. One day I did end up crying that really got them all going. Everyone in my department kept snickering and saying how they love making weak people cry. They did it in a way that they didn't say it directly to me, they would just say things to each other as I was sitting directly next to them. I never stood up for myself and foolishly I never made a report. The dibatch manager finally had me moved to billing after I was told by her " you just are not learning like we thought you would , you are what people would call slow". At the time the only thing that made me feel better was that another manager told me in his words 'the real reason I was being moved. He said the company had hostile work environments and major dysfunction in certain departments. If he took me out of the department he thought had the problems than I couldn't be blamed for things since I was the low man on the totem pole. He claimed he would then be able to see who the real problem was. Acting as if he already knew it was the woman that had been causing me so many problems. Soon after that the operations manager asked me if my mom smoked crack and if I had a learning disability. Along with a awful rumor that I said the owners son who worked there sexually harassed me. It was definitely NOT TRUE. Later I would learn from other employees that I was being asked if my mom smoked crack and if I had a learning disability because the disbatch manager in these meetings would completely put me down and make fun of me, along with placing blame on me for mistakes she made. All along I felt If I did make any mistakes it was because of a training incompetence. Once I moved to billing for about one week I flourished working really hard at learning a new type of work. I was given a new review that stated I was a learning quickly and doing very well. (More detailed than that though). This review being completely different from the other departments review. How can you get to totally different reviews with the same points brought up in each and two totally different views on them ( example of review question & answer: How do you see the employee improving? Answer of dibatch manager, employee is not retaining any instructions. She needs improvement on every level. Answer of billing manager, employee is learning at a exemplary level. Strong customer service skills. Improvement needed in some areas. I would have to have two different personalities for both of the statements to be true. Besides that all the girls in billing seemed to enjoy me working with them. After about a week we discussed how the company was trying to get rid of the department I was in. I did not pay much attention at the time. I just noticed over the next few days the billing girls were not training me anymore. They seemed to be trying to make me uncomfortable. Then one morning after they had a meeting cause a manager recently retired from another job and was able to take on more work from the billing department. ( trying to save the company money ) The two girls went on and on about maybe having to find new jobs. I had no idea what that was about at the time. Later that day I asked to use the phone and was told to use my computer so I didn't hold up the lines. I worked for a transport company. All the phone lines were used for customers and the phone rang about every half minute. All in all I used my computer to text my husband. Shortly after I was called in to the office and told " you finally gave me a real reason to fire you". Have a great day and leave this office. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone know if I can file for unemployment? I was told the reason for being fired is because I sent a text from a company computer. Now many other employees used their computers for looking up vacations, ordering flowers and dating sites. I had no warning about using the computer for texting or sending emails nor was there any written rules about it. I only knew by hear say that someone was almost fired for going on dating sites and facebook. The main points in me asking this is cause I was told to use the computer instead of the phone. I was told they didn't really need me in the department I was in. The owner thought I accused his son of harassment. If anyone has any opinions or thinks I can qualify for unemployment please feel free to post...............
Wow. I would have a lawyer look at this.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

I am thinking of another job seeking tactic. Next time I want any job, I am going to start calling the company and asking for the head of that department. I'm learning that HR is useless. HR looks for certain applications to send to the head. Basically, HR's job is to sift through applications,and I'm getting the feeling that my application has been looked over so much and just thrown out. I'm learning that if you want a job, you have to call the head of that department. Just standing out on the resume isn't enough. The boss needs a voice with that resume, something to stick out in his mind. It is something I'm not good at. It is easy for me to correct my resume over and over, email it and/or fax it. However, paper gets lost. A voice can't get lost. Human contact can't get lost.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM

653 posts, read 1,549,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am thinking of another job seeking tactic. Next time I want any job, I am going to start calling the company and asking for the head of that department. I'm learning that HR is useless. HR looks for certain applications to send to the head. Basically, HR's job is to sift through applications,and I'm getting the feeling that my application has been looked over so much and just thrown out. I'm learning that if you want a job, you have to call the head of that department. Just standing out on the resume isn't enough. The boss needs a voice with that resume, something to stick out in his mind. It is something I'm not good at. It is easy for me to correct my resume over and over, email it and/or fax it. However, paper gets lost. A voice can't get lost. Human contact can't get lost.
Please reconsider this. Ya things get dropped or lost by HR, but you don't want to bother the hiring manager with a phone call.

What I do when the company is small enough is look around and find the manager of the hiring department. Then in thatsearchengineeveryoneuses I put in "firstname lastname" "@company.com"

This is how to find the actual email address of someone when it's not otherwise available. Works more often than not. Sometimes you'll come up with others' emails with that company, and from that you can deduce their format, like ENSmith@company.com, or Egbert.N.Smith@company.com, or ENS@company.com.

BTW, North Dakota is very large with oil jobs now. Big money from what I hear, at least as a leatherneck.

PPS - Please do not use thatsearchengineeveryoneuses. It is the greatest data-mining operation in the history of the world. I've seen demos where peoples' searches were pulled and you can surmise an astounding amount about them from this. Not even considering when you hand over all your contacts, friends, networks, calendars, emails, voice messages, etc.

Please consider using startpage.com instead. Every bit as good.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Please reconsider this. Ya things get dropped or lost by HR, but you don't want to bother the hiring manager with a phone call.

What I do when the company is small enough is look around and find the manager of the hiring department. Then in thatsearchengineeveryoneuses I put in "firstname lastname" "@company.com"

This is how to find the actual email address of someone when it's not otherwise available. Works more often than not. Sometimes you'll come up with others' emails with that company, and from that you can deduce their format, like ENSmith@company.com, or Egbert.N.Smith@company.com, or ENS@company.com.

BTW, North Dakota is very large with oil jobs now. Big money from what I hear, at least as a leatherneck.

PPS - Please do not use thatsearchengineeveryoneuses. It is the greatest data-mining operation in the history of the world. I've seen demos where peoples' searches were pulled and you can surmise an astounding amount about them from this. Not even considering when you hand over all your contacts, friends, networks, clendars, emails, voice messages, etc.

Please consider using startpage.com instead. Every bit as good.
If I don't bother the hiring manager, how will the hiring manager know to look at MY resume? In this case, it isn't about protocol, it is about getting the job.

Anyone can email someone. However, what I've learned is that emails can get lost too, or ignored.

I know about the jobs in North Dakota, but I'm not a roughneck type. I broke my spine a few years ago. Even though I'm walking, it is ill-advise to work heavy manual labor. This is why I applied for GIS-related jobs. I haven't been answered back by anyone.

Everything else I have tried does not work. I've sent my resume via email. I've used certain words to get HR's attention. However, HR doesn't even know what they really want. I can't trust HR with anyone. That is why you go to the source. Forget HR. Do whatever you have to do to get a job. Go to the highest level. Do you know why? The hiring manager makes the decision on whether or not you get the job. Why do you want HR to make that choice? The phone call is to let the manager know you're interested and that he or she should expect your resume really soon.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM

395 posts, read 384,654 times
Green, congrats on completing your degree.

What you need to understand is that this is a bad economy for everyone at the moment. There are people much worse off than you right now. People with children and mortgages with many years experience in their fields that cannot find jobs. You're out of college now and dealing with the real world. It's time to grow up and be a man. It's only been a short while since graduation but you need to take a deep breath and try, at your young age to develop some perspective. Things could be a lot worse for you.

That being said............the best way for a person in any field to find a job is networking. Are there any professional societies/groups in the field you're in? Are you on Linkedin? Have you contacted the department at the school that you graduated from? Have you contacted alumni now in the field who grad from the same program as you? Have you contacted staffing agencies? Submitting your resume to an online job positing is probably not going to get you a job. You have to be very aggressive and relentless in your job search and when you do get interviews you have to sell yourself and let the company know what you can do to add value to their organization.

I agree with your tactic of seeking out hiring managers. Every company is structured differently but HR looks at so many resumes every day. if you could get yours in front of the actual hiring manager it's one step closer to an interview.

Best of luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Green, congrats on completing your degree.

What you need to understand is that this is a bad economy for everyone at the moment. There are people much worse off than you right now. People with children and mortgages with many years experience in their fields that cannot find jobs. You're out of college now and dealing with the real world. It's time to grow up and be a man. It's only been a short while since graduation but you need to take a deep breath and try, at your young age to develop some perspective. Things could be a lot worse for you.

That being said............the best way for a person in any field to find a job is networking. Are there any professional societies/groups in the field you're in? Are you on Linkedin? Have you contacted the department at the school that you graduated from? Have you contacted alumni now in the field who grad from the same program as you? Have you contacted staffing agencies? Submitting your resume to an online job positing is probably not going to get you a job. You have to be very aggressive and relentless in your job search and when you do get interviews you have to sell yourself and let the company know what you can do to add value to their organization.

I agree with your tactic of seeking out hiring managers. Every company is structured differently but HR looks at so many resumes every day. if you could get yours in front of the actual hiring manager it's one step closer to an interview.

Best of luck.
I know it's a bad economy for everyone. However, my father is working. He has a job. I. on the other hand, am doing what I know how to do. How am I not growing up an being a man? I'm going in every avenue I can to get a job, including using old contacts from my internship to help me get jobs, re-doing my resume every time a new job comes up. And I got the tactic of talking to the hiring manager from someone who has sought out jobs before. I'm learning what I can, because for me, I have me to worry about at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or