U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM

653 posts, read 1,550,608 times

Advertisements

green, I'm trying to show you how to -email- the hiring manager directly, rather than calling. Generally they consider phone calls from job seekers to be a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,228,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know how important that is. Sadly, there aren't many in the Geography/GIS department coming to recruit at my university. At most career fairs, it is mainly the business, accounting, nursing, finance majors that seem to be represented the most.
Even in those majors, finding a job is challenging...nursing of course being an acception. If there is one area to be majoring in right now, it's healthcare. Pharmacists, nurses, and the like will all have no trouble at all finding work.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,761 times
similar to my school when they have fairs, except nursing has thier very own career fair. However when you go to the general career fair, you get the feeling that if your major is not "Accounting, business, marketing, finance"- something in the realm of business, then really your chances are not that great. They say the career fair is "general" open to all majors but woe to the liberal arts student, you will have to walk the extra mile

Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM

48,106 posts, read 45,484,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
similar to my school when they have fairs, except nursing has thier very own career fair. However when you go to the general career fair, you get the feeling that if your major is not "Accounting, business, marketing, finance"- something in the realm of business, then really your chances are not that great. They say the career fair is "general" open to all majors but woe to the liberal arts student, you will have to walk the extra mile
The thing is, I have a skill in cartography, so technically, it isn't liberal arts when you think about. However, it still bites when majors I like aren't represented.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
green, I'm trying to show you how to -email- the hiring manager directly, rather than calling. Generally they consider phone calls from job seekers to be a nuisance.
If it is considered a nuisance to call the hiring manager, how do I get the resume to the front line, to the hiring manager without it getting lost? I've tried everything I could. I've emailed managers and gotten no response in return. I've used buzz words and looks for other ways to make HR want to send it to hiring manager, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Even in those majors, finding a job is challenging...nursing of course being an acception. If there is one area to be majoring in right now, it's healthcare. Pharmacists, nurses, and the like will all have no trouble at all finding work.
The strange thing is this. All the majors with high job prospects, I was never interested in it. It is like in order to make money, or to even have a job, one has to be miserable.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,761 times
Quote:
The strange thing is this. All the majors with high job prospects, I was never interested in it. It is like in order to make money, or to even have a job, one has to be miserable.
heh aint that the truth-no no i joke but it sure feels like that sometimes. anyway the talk of career fairs reminded me that my school will having one coming up Oct 17th, il be there, whether something will actually produce out of the fair, I don't know but i will be tere

Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 PM

653 posts, read 1,550,608 times
Quote:
If it is considered a nuisance to call the hiring manager, how do I get the resume to the front line, to the hiring manager without it getting lost? I've tried everything I could. I've emailed managers and gotten no response in return. I've used buzz words and looks for other ways to make HR want to send it to hiring manager, but nothing I've tried has worked.
I know man. But you have to identify the -right- manager to send that email directly to. If you succeed in that and don't hear back, you have done all you can.

Every month or so I reevaluate my resume because I too am having no luck. I've found repeatedly that my resume is way off for the type of jobs I'm applying for, and each time I make major changes to improve it. Each time I don't see how I can make it better, but the next month I do.

Pay attention to the better job descriptions, and pattern your resume after that. Salt in some numbers, like how many maps you did in a certain time, what improvements you suggested/made, and hell I don't know, the square footage. Mention any experience you have in databases and their (crucial) importance to maps these days.

I've found some great job descriptions for my field in Expedia job postings. They can really sling some hash, I tell ya.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I know man. But you have to identify the -right- manager to send that email directly to. If you succeed in that and don't hear back, you have done all you can.

Every month or so I reevaluate my resume because I too am having no luck. I've found repeatedly that my resume is way off for the type of jobs I'm applying for, and each time I make major changes to improve it. Each time I don't see how I can make it better, but the next month I do.

Pay attention to the better job descriptions, and pattern your resume after that. Salt in some numbers, like how many maps you did in a certain time, what improvements you suggested/made, and hell I don't know, the square footage. Mention any experience you have in databases and their (crucial) importance to maps these days.

I've found some great job descriptions for my field in Expedia job postings. They can really sling some hash, I tell ya.
I called a company today, got the manager, we had a chat. I sent my resume direct to him. Hopefully, this will lead to a job.

On everything else, I do re-evaluate my resume, and I tailor it according to the job description. This is where buzz words come in. I also tailor cover letters the same way.

I always make sure that if nothing else, I know who to send it to. That is why I got the manager's name and number, and later his email.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 PM

22,729 posts, read 16,826,114 times
Quote:
Pretty much.

There's a few lucky ones out there who get to do what they enjoy but I think the majority don't particularly like what they are doing and would rather do something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or