U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 PM

653 posts, read 1,552,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You've got to chill out. How old are you? Stop being angry and having an attitude of a spoiled child not getting his way and being able to eat cake all day long.
Huh? He's not angry, just frustrated and desperate. Give him a break. He's doing the best he can, which is obvious from his posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,072,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm looking for work in my major. At this point I'm considering going to graduate school. If I'm not working by the end of October, I need something set up to be in graduate school very fast.
Grad school is fine, just make sure it is something you really want to do, not just a "the real world sucks let me hide in grad school". Also really check the job prospects after getting the degree. Does employment really open up after getting a higher degree or is it much like the bachelor?

Grad school is a big choice, think wisely, don't rush it.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM

48,297 posts, read 45,587,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
My advice, and take it for what it's worth, as I don't have a degree or anything... Take what ever life throws at ya. What ever opportunity comes your way, go with it and run. Make the best of everything. You don't have to make a career out of ever opportunity, but you have to realize something... Life is a competitive sport and every opportunity is a potential learning experience. Once you learn something, they can't take it away. There are many ways to make a living besides the one you went to school for. Many don't require a degree, but that doesn't mean you can't make a darn good living off them. So take every opportunity to learn something new.
I'm waiting for any opportunity that comes my way. I'm also trying to create my own opportunity with what I've got.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Grad school is fine, just make sure it is something you really want to do, not just a "the real world sucks let me hide in grad school". Also really check the job prospects after getting the degree. Does employment really open up after getting a higher degree or is it much like the bachelor?

Grad school is a big choice, think wisely, don't rush it.
I'm strongly considering grad school because with my geography degree, I can find another avenue, such as meteorology. I have always been interested in weather and climate, and I figured that maybe my skills can be used in meteorology.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Huh? He's not angry, just frustrated and desperate. Give him a break. He's doing the best he can, which is obvious from his posts.
Thanks. Our best is all we can do at this point.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,726,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm searching on the internet because it is the best I can do considering my resources. I don't have a car. There is no public transportation where I live. I can't go out and meet people because I don't have the means. All I have is my computer, and a crappy internet connection, and a cell phone. I went out and called people, as a means to go above the heads of the HR departments and put a voice to my resume, to let the manager know who I am.
I am happy to see you are being proactive, but all of your efforts are very "me focused." Kind of like "hey, I need you to get me a job." But most hiring managers are looking for someone to solve their problems, not just look for help. So when you are doing the hiring manager cold calls and emails, what is your approach. Do you have any personal connections to get you in the door? Remember when I mentioned joining linkedin? every hiring manager I know for any type of position, puts requests from people in their linkedin networks at a higher priority than anyone else. The question is, how can your resume come in through a trusted connection, instead of a blind cold call?

[quote]In addition, I had an easier time getting along with people outside of my field than I did inside of my field. Something about the GIS/geography field and the persons attracted to it basically had me at a point where I was at odds with alot of people. I did try to use the one contact that I have from that field. It hasn't worked. The difference between me and that person is this. He got connections from his hometown, and he has a personality to match it. I hate where I live and sought to separate myself from it. Now I'm just stuck. I always operated under the thinking of "let your education and knowledge speak for itself". So far, the only time it worked was in getting an internship. So far, the only contacts I have are from my internship, and they are technically outside of my field. I literally got my internship because I had a skill no one else had./QUOTE]

This is problematic. I don't want to be a negative nancy, but there are a few red flags here. First, you are looking for work in a very small field. I would be shocked if anyone was more than 3 degrees from someone else. If you have already established you don't work well with the types of people in your field, you are going to have a very hard time breaking in and moving up in the field.

Secondly, moreso than most fields, you really need to have connections to find a job in this field. People are hiring their friends, and friends of friends. Your number one goal is to get on the friends list.

If I were in your shoes, I'd work on making 3 new connections in your field per week. You don't need to meet everyone in person, but you do need to make a genuine connection. The best way to make connections is to make people talk about their favorite topic, themselves. Identify a few people that are experts in the field.... professors, noted researchers, people who are quoted in the media. Reach out to them, "hey I say that article you did in GIS magazine, it was really interesting, how did you form that opinion, get that experience etc. What would you recommend for someone who wants to take a similar path?" Most people like feeling like an expert and talking about themselves, so you'll get a few responses to this sort of personalized request. These people can become your mentors and give you tips, as you get to know them, on how to forward your career.

Next up, you need to start creating your own experience. Most employers love self starters. You want to map things, what sort of other places need maps? For example, my city is working with Mondo Maps to create business district maps to encourage people to shop local. Find opportunities to create volunteer projects to help with mapping. You need to get creative, but think of unexpected places that need maps, and work on your technical skills to make those maps for them. You'll get valuable experience, and also build your portfolio.

Next, I have a feeling, do to your past experiences, you have difficulties connecting with people in professional (and social( environments. You also need to improve in this area as well. Have you ever thought about doing something like toastmasters? Are you in any young professional networking groups? Have you gotten involved in your college alumni network? These things will help you make more connections with all types of people. And these people you meet, may lead to the person you need to find the right opportunity.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am happy to see you are being proactive, but all of your efforts are very "me focused." Kind of like "hey, I need you to get me a job." But most hiring managers are looking for someone to solve their problems, not just look for help. So when you are doing the hiring manager cold calls and emails, what is your approach. Do you have any personal connections to get you in the door? Remember when I mentioned joining linkedin? every hiring manager I know for any type of position, puts requests from people in their linkedin networks at a higher priority than anyone else. The question is, how can your resume come in through a trusted connection, instead of a blind cold call?
I know that I've had to drastically change my way of looking for a job. However, most of the time, I'm looking for jobs under the duress of desperation. I'm desperate to get a job. However, when I make the calls, I do everything I can do sound calm, and collected.

Cold calls and emails are what I know how to do. I don't know many people in the GIS field. I'll explain the social aspect of this later on in the post.

I am on linkedin, and I am going back to it.

Quote:
This is problematic. I don't want to be a negative nancy, but there are a few red flags here. First, you are looking for work in a very small field. I would be shocked if anyone was more than 3 degrees from someone else. If you have already established you don't work well with the types of people in your field, you are going to have a very hard time breaking in and moving up in the field.
I don't tell companies about my social issues. I just concentrate on what I can do in terms of GIS.

As for not working well with certain types of people, I should have explained it better. In the GIS/Geography field, this is what I've experienced. I was always the "nerdy" and "socially awkward" type. I was dealing with alot of people who were basically "alpha male", "roughneck", and they were into things far different than me. There was a disconnect between me and alot of people I was in class with. I had issues relating to them. I'm the type of person who is "do your work, and then go home".

Quote:
Next up, you need to start creating your own experience. Most employers love self starters. You want to map things, what sort of other places need maps? For example, my city is working with Mondo Maps to create business district maps to encourage people to shop local. Find opportunities to create volunteer projects to help with mapping. You need to get creative, but think of unexpected places that need maps, and work on your technical skills to make those maps for them. You'll get valuable experience, and also build your portfolio.
I have actually built a portfolio for myself with maps I have made. I have made a website out of it. I've also sent it to some companies in my emails. I do it to show them I'm a self starter and that I have been perfecting my craft.

Quote:
Next, I have a feeling, do to your past experiences, you have difficulties connecting with people in professional (and social( environments. You also need to improve in this area as well. Have you ever thought about doing something like toastmasters? Are you in any young professional networking groups? Have you gotten involved in your college alumni network? These things will help you make more connections with all types of people. And these people you meet, may lead to the person you need to find the right opportunity.
I never thought of doing toastmasters. At the current moment, I have limited contact with people because of transportation, or lack of it. For me, the internet is the best way to get in contact with anyone.

For meeting people, I met alot of people via being involved with international students. The longest job I've held, it involved working with international students, and I established a few contacts that way.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM

I have been using Linkedin more aggressively. I'm been trying to establish more contacts. Some people have found me, people that know me. It is approaching strangers that kind of scares me. I get nervous sometimes. I'm joining forums and trying to show my cartographic portfolio. I try to show people "Hey, this is a sample of my work. This is what I can do. Pick me". So far it's a struggle.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM

I've also decided to make another decision. I'm not going to like it, I despise this because it's so complicated, but I'm going ahead and I'm going to try and learn Leaflet, and Java. I need to learn because it might help me get a job.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 AM

Update: I had thought of going to grad school, and it is still something I'm thinking about. Someone was asking if I was just thinking about grad school just to avoid the real world. To be honest, I'm not doing it to avoid the real world. To be honest, I'm thinking about graduate school because no one is hiring me. I've applied for jobs going for minimum wage, and I've applied for jobs in my field. I'm considered overqualified for the minimum wage jobs, and the jobs in my field, too much competition, and not enough jobs, not to mention alot of people are asking for experience. I thought about that when I got another rejection letter for a job. The reality is, I survived better in college than I could ever survive now. My attempt to start a business has been futile. No money to start a business, bad credit, and the only equipment I have is a laptop(all of the trial version software has expired and no one is willing to give me a free copy of ArcGIS 10.1). At this point, I'm feeling like the only way I could get any money is to go back to college. To be honest, I don't want to, but I feel like that is more guaranteed than getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or