U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Update: I had thought of going to grad school, and it is still something I'm thinking about.....
Pick your Masters major based on what careers are in demand.

Consider Computer Science or Computer Engineering or MIS. It can go hand and hand with your Geography degree.

If you go with Meteorology, are the typical jobs related to TV or radio weatherperson? Sounds like you are too introverted for that type of job.

When you get your student loans, save a few thousand dollars for after you gradudate, so you can afford to move to a new city for a job and afford rent and security deposit.

Do some monster.com searches for the masters degree you are considering...to see what kind of jobs exists BEFORE you make the choice on the major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM

12,674 posts, read 14,007,917 times
Quote:
Update: I had thought of going to grad school, and it is still something I'm thinking about. Someone was asking if I was just thinking about grad school just to avoid the real world. To be honest, I'm not doing it to avoid the real world. To be honest, I'm thinking about graduate school because no one is hiring me. I've applied for jobs going for minimum wage, and I've applied for jobs in my field. I'm considered overqualified for the minimum wage jobs, and the jobs in my field, too much competition, and not enough jobs, not to mention alot of people are asking for experience. I thought about that when I got another rejection letter for a job. The reality is, I survived better in college than I could ever survive now. My attempt to start a business has been futile. No money to start a business, bad credit, and the only equipment I have is a laptop(all of the trial version software has expired and no one is willing to give me a free copy of ArcGIS 10.1). At this point, I'm feeling like the only way I could get any money is to go back to college. To be honest, I don't want to, but I feel like that is more guaranteed than getting a job.
What have you done about getting a drivers license? Have you made any progress in that? Once you can get yourself some wheels, the world can be your oyster (well, it will help at least...) You're young enough that you could, and definitely should, pack your crap up and go where there is some actual opportunity. Based on what I hear about Georgia, that ain't it.

Starting a business ain't easy, especially if you have no experience in anything. It's often times a big investment, and without the knowledge and experience, it would probably prove to be a massive risk.

As for your "surviving"... Are you assured 3 hots and a cot? There are lots of folks who would trade places with you in such a case. Either way, the world is a stressful place. Welcome to adulthood

Grad school is expensive. How much does that software cost? Perhaps you should consider the potential ROI for each. Sounds like you just want to go back to college just to get outta your parents house. I suppose I can understand, but you're talking about more risk, more debt, and more lost years that could be used finding a job and gaining experience. That job could be in any field. I know countless babyboomers who graduated with degrees, only to end up doing things completely unrelated careerwise. Your problem is that so much of your competition also has a degree today, so it's nothing special by today's standards. There are also not enough jobs available in the economy for every college graduate. Will a graduate degree help your odds? Well, it's generally recommended to pursue a graduate degree after gaining experience. If you cannot relate the material practically, a lot of the purpose of grad school is defeated. The schools will take your money regardless, but that's just what I have always been told by people who went to grad school.

And I'm sure you realize this but... There are no guarantees in life. You could get out of grad school only to find yourself in the very same position because you still lack experience. That's the only thing your missing right now. If I were you, I would focus on getting a license and a car so you can move to the jobs. They are out there, and employers like young folks who will venture out of their comfort zone for the work. The only problem would be that cars tend to be expensive, and you can't seem to find even minimum wage work. I don't know how that get's resolved if you can't drive to a job in the first place, which is why I'm surprised your folks aren't more supportive in your efforts. That is definitely not your fault.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
Andywire makes a good point. A driver's license and a used car is cheaper than going for a graduate degree and increasing your student loan debt. Sometimes just moving to an area with a higher demand for staff, is all it takes.

Do you have a copy of your resume? If you aren't getting responses, maybe we can help with advice.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What have you done about getting a drivers license? Have you made any progress in that? Once you can get yourself some wheels, the world can be your oyster (well, it will help at least...) You're young enough that you could, and definitely should, pack your crap up and go where there is some actual opportunity. Based on what I hear about Georgia, that ain't it.
I have been working on getting my license. I'm still bad at driving, but I'm doing my part to work towards a license. I know it would be cheaper to get a license. Getting a set of wheels costs money, which I don't have. If I move to another state, then I would be alot happier. Believe me, I would be more than happy to pack up and leave Georgia. It costs money to do that

Quote:
Starting a business ain't easy, especially if you have no experience in anything. It's often times a big investment, and without the knowledge and experience, it would probably prove to be a massive risk.
I don't have any experience with starting a business. To be honest, I thought about it out of boredom and desperation.

Quote:
As for your "surviving"... Are you assured 3 hots and a cot? There are lots of folks who would trade places with you in such a case. Either way, the world is a stressful place. Welcome to adulthood
I live with my parents, so I'm assured 3 meals and a bed to sleep in. And I'm getting along with them. I know alot of people would trade places with me. I guess it's a matter of perspective. I guess for me, it feels demoralizing to go on facebook, and see people enjoying their lives, working, having fun, and I'm not having either.

Quote:
Grad school is expensive. How much does that software cost? Perhaps you should consider the potential ROI for each. Sounds like you just want to go back to college just to get outta your parents house. I suppose I can understand, but you're talking about more risk, more debt, and more lost years that could be used finding a job and gaining experience. That job could be in any field. I know countless babyboomers who graduated with degrees, only to end up doing things completely unrelated careerwise. Your problem is that so much of your competition also has a degree today, so it's nothing special by today's standards. There are also not enough jobs available in the economy for every college graduate. Will a graduate degree help your odds? Well, it's generally recommended to pursue a graduate degree after gaining experience. If you cannot relate the material practically, a lot of the purpose of grad school is defeated. The schools will take your money regardless, but that's just what I have always been told by people who went to grad school.
I know grad school is expensive. To be honest, I never planned on it. This was something my father was suggesting. He said I should have a backup plan. To be honest, I want to work, I want to earn money, and live the life I was planning on living after graduating.

As for the software, ArcGIS 10.1 software cost $1,500. AutoCAD costs about $1000-3000.

Quote:
And I'm sure you realize this but... There are no guarantees in life. You could get out of grad school only to find yourself in the very same position because you still lack experience. That's the only thing your missing right now. If I were you, I would focus on getting a license and a car so you can move to the jobs. They are out there, and employers like young folks who will venture out of their comfort zone for the work. The only problem would be that cars tend to be expensive, and you can't seem to find even minimum wage work. I don't know how that get's resolved if you can't drive to a job in the first place, which is why I'm surprised your folks aren't more supportive in your efforts. That is definitely not your fault.
I know there are guarantees in life. That is what is scaring me these days. Without any experience, I'm basically competing with people. It is frustrating because I'm told I need experience. How can I get experience if I can't get any?

And what do you mean by venturing outside of my comfort zone, specifically?

The car issue is a big problem for me. I don't have the money for a car, nor do I have any money to relocate. I'm not surprised that more people aren't understanding about it. I'm learning that now.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Andywire makes a good point. A driver's license and a used car is cheaper than going for a graduate degree and increasing your student loan debt. Sometimes just moving to an area with a higher demand for staff, is all it takes.

Do you have a copy of your resume? If you aren't getting responses, maybe we can help with advice.
I don't have any money for a car, or to relocate. I MIGHT, keyword, MIGHT be able to borrow the car my sister uses, and that is if she isn't always using it. Two cars, four drivers, one of them works out of state and comes home on the weekend. This equals I get a driving lesson whenever I can, which is whenever the car is available.

I don't want to post my resume on the forums because my name is on it. However, if you send a PM to me, I can copy and paste it in an email(without my name on it) in a PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Pick your Masters major based on what careers are in demand.

Consider Computer Science or Computer Engineering or MIS. It can go hand and hand with your Geography degree.

If you go with Meteorology, are the typical jobs related to TV or radio weatherperson? Sounds like you are too introverted for that type of job.

When you get your student loans, save a few thousand dollars for after you gradudate, so you can afford to move to a new city for a job and afford rent and security deposit.

Do some monster.com searches for the masters degree you are considering...to see what kind of jobs exists BEFORE you make the choice on the major.
To be honest, I feel like I'm forced into grad school, and I know it will just put me in more debt.

And with meteorology, I don't have to do TV related jobs.

I really do want to move to another city for a job. I've applied to jobs in cities like Omaha, the Portland area(Oregon), San Diego, San Antonio, the Northern Virginia corridor, Minneapolis, Seattle, Tampa, Houston, Dallas, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, various places in the Dakotas, and many other cities. I even applied for jobs overseas.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
Quote:
I don't have any money for a car, or to relocate. I MIGHT, keyword, MIGHT be able to borrow the car my sister uses, and that is if she isn't always using it. Two cars, four drivers, one of them works out of state and comes home on the weekend. This equals I get a driving lesson whenever I can, which is whenever the car is available.

I don't want to post my resume on the forums because my name is on it. However, if you send a PM to me, I can copy and paste it in an email(without my name on it) in a PM.
You can just post it on the board and block out any personal info such as address , phone number, etc. You made your initial post to leverage the group not just an individual. It's better to get more opinions on the resume. The forum allows you to gather input from a wide diversity of backgrounds, industries, and experiences. There are even some HR people like thebunny floating around, who can provide advice from a recruiter's point of view.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,723,583 times
I hope you find something . You seem smart and determined

Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You can just post it on the board and block out any personal info such as address , phone number, etc. You made your initial post to leverage the group not just an individual. It's better to get more opinions on the resume. The forum allows you to gather input from a wide diversity of backgrounds, industries, and experiences. There are even some HR people like thebunny floating around, who can provide advice from a recruiter's point of view.
My name isn't on it, but here are the details.

EDUCATION: KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY
Bachelor of Arts in Geography July 2012

CAREER OBJECTIVE: To obtain a position analyzing data for geographic information systems and providing cartographic and GIS services.

EXPERIENCE:

1/2012 to 4/2012 Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Kennesaw, GA

Cartographer

Designed and produced maps utilizing ArcGIS software. Created and update map projects; Completed project work as requested and, produced maps. All of this was done as part of an internship.

Cartography skills were an asset during the internship. One particular skill was the use ArcGIS. A willingness to learn also allowed for standing out. Skills acquired during the internship included the use of GPS software and its units. Skills brought to the table as well as acquired skills aided in designing an environmental trail map and a new park map. The park ranger commented that the new park map was the most accurate he had seen.

Experience of recent in using ESRIís ArcGIS software; training in ESRI GIS software applications; or related work experience at the local government level

1/2011 to 5/2012 ISRS at Kennesaw State University Kennesaw, GA
Student Assistant
Answering phone calls, created bulletin boards, assisted students with questions ranging from scholarships to student visas, made copies and putting together pamphlets, assisting in enforcing the rules of the International Student Retention Services.

Aspects that allowed for standing out as a student assistant were creativity and taking initiative. Helping students was a required duty. The aspect of taking initiative included walking a student to that specific building, as oppose to merely mentioning the location. Creating bulletin boards is where the aspect of creativity stood out. The themes chosen were world events and facts about different nations. Creativity was also used in making and presenting a PowerPoint slide show regarding the subject of geography.

OTHER SKILLS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
-Experience using Microsoft Office Applications.
-Experience with ERDAS, GPS, ArcGIS, and Adobe Illustrator
-Participated in a stream restoration and water quality monitoring project, monitoring bacteria and pH levels.
-Experience using laboratory equipment, chemicals, and water quality testing.
-Familiar with geographic analyses, tables, and graphics,

Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
My name isn't on it, but here are the details.

EDUCATION: KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY
Bachelor of Arts in Geography July 2012

CAREER OBJECTIVE: To obtain a position analyzing data for geographic information systems and providing cartographic and GIS services.

EXPERIENCE:

1/2012 to 4/2012 Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Kennesaw, GA

Cartographer

Designed and produced maps utilizing ArcGIS software. Created and update map projects; Completed project work as requested and, produced maps. All of this was done as part of an internship.

Cartography skills were an asset during the internship. One particular skill was the use ArcGIS. A willingness to learn also allowed for standing out. Skills acquired during the internship included the use of GPS software and its units. Skills brought to the table as well as acquired skills aided in designing an environmental trail map and a new park map. The park ranger commented that the new park map was the most accurate he had seen.

Experience of recent in using ESRI’s ArcGIS software; training in ESRI GIS software applications; or related work experience at the local government level

1/2011 to 5/2012 ISRS at Kennesaw State University Kennesaw, GA
Student Assistant
Answering phone calls, created bulletin boards, assisted students with questions ranging from scholarships to student visas, made copies and putting together pamphlets, assisting in enforcing the rules of the International Student Retention Services.

Aspects that allowed for standing out as a student assistant were creativity and taking initiative. Helping students was a required duty. The aspect of taking initiative included walking a student to that specific building, as oppose to merely mentioning the location. Creating bulletin boards is where the aspect of creativity stood out. The themes chosen were world events and facts about different nations. Creativity was also used in making and presenting a PowerPoint slide show regarding the subject of geography.

OTHER SKILLS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
-Experience using Microsoft Office Applications.
-Experience with ERDAS, GPS, ArcGIS, and Adobe Illustrator
-Participated in a stream restoration and water quality monitoring project, monitoring bacteria and pH levels.
-Experience using laboratory equipment, chemicals, and water quality testing.
-Familiar with geographic analyses, tables, and graphics,
Part of the reason for your lack of responses is that you simply do not have a high quality resume.

The first thing I see wrong with this resume is the "career objective." Nothing against you personally since this is so common, but the standard goal of "obtaining position in X industry" is implied when the job seeker clicks the "submit" button on that online application. EVERYONE who applied to that position wants it, so you need a defining statement that's a quick, interesting hook into the rest of the resume. Think of the perspective of HR or the hiring manager - "What abilities do you have to enhance my business and why should I select you over the dozens or hundreds of other good applicants?" Look at this statement at the top of my resume. A defining statement needs to effectively market your personal "brand."

"Name" is a resolution-oriented professional driven to identify, diagnose, and effectively solve business and technical problems. With experience solving technical issues for Fortune 500 firms, "Name" seeks to optimize and leverage technological resources to increase efficiency, avoid disruptive IT problems, and strengthen the core business. "Name" blends technical expertise with an academic background in economics, creating a unique candidate who understands the delicate balance of resource constraints, business need, project utility, and corporate performance."

Many people make the mistake of simply listing a generic set of job duties for a job entry, rather than what they actually did on the job. This is concise and gets to the meat of what you did on the job without adding any opinions or anecdotes. Take the below as an example. List the technical skills or specific tools used in a technical skills portion, which looks pretty well done.

Designed and produced an environmental trail and full-scope park map in ArcGIS 10.x at park "Y."
Implemented new maps into existing park and government databases.
Educated park employees and patrons on best use practices for the new maps.

Even though you're neither working or going to school, that doesn't mean you have to stop enhancing your skills. Do you have MS Office on a computer? If so, there are many videos on YouTube and tutorials on basic to advanced Excel skills that are highly marketable. "Proficiency in MS Office" doesn't have the same ring to it as "Advanced Excel skills, including mastery of pivot tables, VBA macros, vertical and horizontal lookups." Once you can explain and perform these functions fluidly, you could always take a certification course in the future once your financial situation improves. Your post count indicates you have a substantial amount of free time on your hands. You need to be using some of this time for continued learning and skills enhancement.

One thing that has bothered me throughout this whole thread is that people haven't acknowledged that the OP's family bears some degree of culpability for the situation. Instead of telling you to "wait for a good job," your father needs to do for you now what should have been ten years ago - get an inexpensive older car for you and teach you how to drive until you've gotten it down. If he has to finance it or take a second job until it's paid off, it's going to be better for him and you in the long run to invest in your independence now rather than having you be dependent on the family indefinitely. This is what most people end up doing for their teenage children. Poor choices by you and your family are coming back to haunt you now and all of you are probably going to have to pull together and sacrifice in order to get this mess cleaned up.

Once you've mastered driving, you go out to every retail business, restaurant, call center, anything that is truly entry level that will provide some income, and knock on doors and fill out applications in person. Get in touch with local staffing firms and see if any local employers have vacancies in anything. The holidays are coming up and I have a hard time believing you'll come up with absolutely nothing if you try desperately to find any job.

You also need to get your name out there, plain and simple. I would try going to a church as it's free. Ignore the religion if it's not your thing. Your reason for going to church is to make connections and friends who can put in a good word for you if they know of some hiring going on. You need to be rebuilding connections with people in your hometown - you're stuck there for now and it does no good to continue isolating yourself.

I looked at the two blog entries you have listed. They are from 2009 and have many of the same themes of this thread. Point "A" is where you are now, which clearly isn't working and hasn't changed, and there is some point down the line where you want to be. Everyone has basic needs - food, shelter, transportation, clothing, and medical care - all of these are provided by income. You're housed, fed, and dressed now, but you're having a hard time getting income in large part because you don't have basic transportation. I think the solution to this mess is your family sacrificing and getting a no-frills, used car for you. You're not capable of making a real investment in your own independence now, so your family is going to have to step up to the plate and do so on your behalf.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 10-20-2012 at 04:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or