U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 AM

15,396 posts, read 17,685,883 times

Advertisements

Your resume needs rework.

It is old fashioned. I recall you said your father is helping you with it. Resume style and structure changed drastically in the past 5-10 years. Many folks like your father don't know it.

Suggestion

1) Remove OBJECTIVE. Rename it SUMMARY. Put all your "selling" points. Such as Recent college graduate with x years in this and y years in that. Heavy use in abx software. Up to date on latest technology. blah blah.

Put EDUCATION after summary

Put SKILLS area after education. Yours is at the bottom. Bring it higher. Put in bullet format. Hihglight software you know and major geography relaled skills, etc. Any skill that jobs are looking for, expecting. If you have lots of years for a skill,note 5 years in ZYX. Or expert in ABC. You say "knowledge of" when it's something you are not well versed at but you know the basics.

EXPERIENCE. It's too wordy and hard to read. Put in bullet format. MOST IMPORTANT. Expain what you did in terms of major atta boys. Dont explain in detail the job responsibilities as much as you say things like "charted 3 new areas that reduced file size by 25% and improved ease-of-use and speed to open files."

EXPERIENCE: Company name first. in BOLD. Put the months/years to the far right. In bold. EXPERIENCE SUMMARY EDUCATION SKILLS all in bold/uppercase.

Google other people's resumes online. Especially about their work accomplishments and how to reword away from job responsibilities and more toward "what you did that was special that stood out from day to day stuff. what did you hand over to your employer that you were proud of, that is something they needed and that will help them . what did you imrove...make cheaper or faster. what did you fix that was broken? what software did you upgrade/install that was slow?.

Your resume is the old way. It is too hard to read because of the paragraphs and it won't get read. It's getting ignored because of the structure!

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-20-2012 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,485,650 times
Your resume is a big handicap. It should have been revised, after the initial poor response rate. With a revised resume, you could land a new job within a few months. This is a good turning point.

There are 2 major problems.

1) It reads too much like a job description. It needs to be more focused on accomplishments.

For example: "Designed and produced maps utilizing ArcGIS software. Created and update map projects; Completed project work as requested and, produced maps. All of this was done as part of an internship."

You created multiple maps, but what was the range and scope. Were you mapping 50-10k sq ft sections of the park or 30 to 50-sq miles projects? How many projects? Did you work on major projects as part of a team of 5, 10, or 20 people?

New example: "As a part of 5-10 member team project, I designed a 10 sq mile map to blah blah blah.

The new statement shows the scope of the project. You also demonstrate teamwork to complete major projects.

2) The resume has a split personality. It seems geared half for your major and half for administrative work. If I am hiring for general office help, your office skills make you qualified for an administrative position. All the geology and cartography doesn't mean anything to me. If I am hiring for a Cartographer position, the administrative work doesn't mean anything to me. Create 2 resumes and tailor it for each job.

On your geology major resume, you should strip down the student assistant job to specific items that demonstrate employee qualities instead of job tasks. For example, "Helping students was a required duty." and not "Answering phone calls." I would take out the "required duty". Something along the lines of "assisted and mentored international students with transitioning to American life." It was not required chore, but something you do as an adviser or leader.

On the administrative job resume, I would move the cartographer position to the bottom. I would take out all the geology specific job tasks and focus on good employee qualities. Keep it to 2-3 lines. The admin portion should take up 80% of your resume. You should list the MS Office apps utilized individually. I do not know if you utilized Excel, Word, Visio, or Access.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM

37,223 posts, read 45,778,801 times
I have not read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested the military? It seems like you could find a specialty that would provide you with the experience you need, so after a few years you could take your skills to the private sector.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM

23,738 posts, read 17,687,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested the military? It seems like you could find a specialty that would provide you with the experience you need, so after a few years you could take your skills to the private sector.
This was suggested, but he says he's had health problems and was turned away.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM

48,355 posts, read 45,626,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Your resume is a big handicap. It should have been revised, after the initial poor response rate. With a revised resume, you could land a new job within a few months. This is a good turning point.

There are 2 major problems.

1) It reads too much like a job description. It needs to be more focused on accomplishments.

For example: "Designed and produced maps utilizing ArcGIS software. Created and update map projects; Completed project work as requested and, produced maps. All of this was done as part of an internship."

You created multiple maps, but what was the range and scope. Were you mapping 50-10k sq ft sections of the park or 30 to 50-sq miles projects? How many projects? Did you work on major projects as part of a team of 5, 10, or 20 people?

New example: "As a part of 5-10 member team project, I designed a 10 sq mile map to blah blah blah.

The new statement shows the scope of the project. You also demonstrate teamwork to complete major projects.

2) The resume has a split personality. It seems geared half for your major and half for administrative work. If I am hiring for general office help, your office skills make you qualified for an administrative position. All the geology and cartography doesn't mean anything to me. If I am hiring for a Cartographer position, the administrative work doesn't mean anything to me. Create 2 resumes and tailor it for each job.

On your geology major resume, you should strip down the student assistant job to specific items that demonstrate employee qualities instead of job tasks. For example, "Helping students was a required duty." and not "Answering phone calls." I would take out the "required duty". Something along the lines of "assisted and mentored international students with transitioning to American life." It was not required chore, but something you do as an adviser or leader.

On the administrative job resume, I would move the cartographer position to the bottom. I would take out all the geology specific job tasks and focus on good employee qualities. Keep it to 2-3 lines. The admin portion should take up 80% of your resume. You should list the MS Office apps utilized individually. I do not know if you utilized Excel, Word, Visio, or Access.
I did revise my resume several times. I thought my resume was suppose to represent what I did on the job.

I wasn't really part of a team(the cartographic part). I collaborated with other people on their needs, but I did the cartographic process independently. I am going to strip down some of the administrative parts.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Your resume needs rework.

It is old fashioned. I recall you said your father is helping you with it. Resume style and structure changed drastically in the past 5-10 years. Many folks like your father don't know it.

Suggestion

1) Remove OBJECTIVE. Rename it SUMMARY. Put all your "selling" points. Such as Recent college graduate with x years in this and y years in that. Heavy use in abx software. Up to date on latest technology. blah blah.

Put EDUCATION after summary

Put SKILLS area after education. Yours is at the bottom. Bring it higher. Put in bullet format. Hihglight software you know and major geography relaled skills, etc. Any skill that jobs are looking for, expecting. If you have lots of years for a skill,note 5 years in ZYX. Or expert in ABC. You say "knowledge of" when it's something you are not well versed at but you know the basics.

EXPERIENCE. It's too wordy and hard to read. Put in bullet format. MOST IMPORTANT. Expain what you did in terms of major atta boys. Dont explain in detail the job responsibilities as much as you say things like "charted 3 new areas that reduced file size by 25% and improved ease-of-use and speed to open files."

EXPERIENCE: Company name first. in BOLD. Put the months/years to the far right. In bold. EXPERIENCE SUMMARY EDUCATION SKILLS all in bold/uppercase.

Google other people's resumes online. Especially about their work accomplishments and how to reword away from job responsibilities and more toward "what you did that was special that stood out from day to day stuff. what did you hand over to your employer that you were proud of, that is something they needed and that will help them . what did you imrove...make cheaper or faster. what did you fix that was broken? what software did you upgrade/install that was slow?.

Your resume is the old way. It is too hard to read because of the paragraphs and it won't get read. It's getting ignored because of the structure!
I have one question. How come this works for my father and not me? I also got this same format from other students who have jobs. I also have another question. How do I fit it all on one page?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,485,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I did revise my resume several times. I thought my resume was suppose to represent what I did on the job.

I wasn't really part of a team(the cartographic part). I collaborated with other people on their needs, but I did the cartographic process independently. I am going to strip down some of the administrative parts.

The resume tells me what a cartographer does, but I want to know what you did.

For example, I used to work as a shipping clerk. I would ship and receive 100 files/day that had to be labeled with 10 lines of information. I got sick of writing everything by hand. It was redundant, since I was entering the same information into Access. I created a mail merge in MS Word and Access and ordered some Avery Labels. It was much easier. After data entry was complete, I would print out 100-300 file labels. I was able to ship and receive 300 files/day instead of 100/files day.

Resume example Before and After:

Before: Utilized MS Access and MS Word for a project

It only lists my job tasks. It does not give much info on what I did with my job tasks.

After: Utilized MS Access and MS Word in a project to streamline the shipping/receiving process by 200%. Improved shipping performance from 100 files/day to 300 files/day.

The later example tells the employer what I did with my job tasks.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM

15,396 posts, read 17,685,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have one question. How come this works for my father and not me? I also got this same format from other students who have jobs. I also have another question. How do I fit it all on one page?
WHEN did it work for your father? 8 years ago?

Resumes have changed. Some people (maybe your father) still have not switched to the new way of resumes. In reality, this puts them at a major disadvantage. It doesn't mean they won't get a job, but they might get overlooked for several jobs due to a mediocre old fashioned resume.

Your father has experience, so he is already has some advantages in the job area.

A fresh college graduate needs a great resume. Since you aren't listing your GPA, I am guessing it isn't 3.5 or above. Usually high GPAs(3.5+) are listed for new graduates. Once you get experience, GPA falls off the resume quickly.

2 pages is OK. (Mine is 3-4 pages, but I have many years of experience).

I rewrote my entire resume from the old way --- to the new way. It was not fun. It's a struggle at first because you want to list "job duties" like the old style resume. You can still list them briefly, but you are going after "what are the major accomplishments I did at this job". What were your projects, your deliverables? Then you add words around the project/deliverable to describe it better.

4-5 deliverables as bullet points for each job with a sentence that describe your basic job title/responsibilities and the type of company.(List the company name, your title there, basics of your responsibilites/ a brief description of the company if needed....then go after the 4-5 major accomplishments you did (projects/deliverables).

Deliverables that have general measurements are good on a resume. For example " improved error rate by 10% by removing unsupported links" , or

"reduced call volume for to help desk by 20% creating web help document with step by step instructions."

as the above poster suggested about the scope of the maps, but the size/scope of the project.

Other numbers related accomplishments: "Delivered project of XYX 2 weeks before Due Date, resulting in earlier roll out of end product to customers."

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-20-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
WHEN did it work for your father? 8 years ago?
It worked for my father last year.

Quote:
Resumes have changed. Some people (maybe your father) still have not switched to the new way of resumes. In reality, this puts them at a major disadvantage. It doesn't mean they won't get a job, but they might get overlooked for several jobs due to a mediocre old fashioned resume.

Your father has experience, so he is already has some advantages in the job area.

A fresh college graduate needs a great resume. Since you aren't listing your GPA, I am guessing it isn't 3.5 or above. Usually high GPAs(2.5+) are listed for new graduates. Once you get experience, GPA falls off the resume quickly.

2 pages is OK. (Mine is 3-4 pages, but I have many years of experience).

I rewrote my entire resume from the old way --- to the new way. It was not fun. It's a struggle at first because you want to list "job duties" like the old style resume. You can still list them briefly, but you are going after "what are the major accomplishments I did at this job". What were your projects, your deliverables? Then you add words around the project/deliverable to describe it better.

4-5 deliverables as bullet points for each job with a sentence that describe your basic job title/responsibilities and the type of company.(List the company name, your title there, basics of your responsibilites/ a brief description of the company if needed....then go after the 4-5 major accomplishments you did (projects/deliverables).

Deliverables that have general measurements are good on a resume. For example " improved error rate by 10% by removing unsupported links" , or

"reduced call volume for to help desk by 20% creating web help document with step by step instructions."

as the above poster suggested about the scope of the maps, but the size/scope of the project.

Other numbers related accomplishments: "Delivered project of XYX 2 weeks before Due Date, resulting in earlier roll out of end product to customers."
I'm currently rewriting my resume after all of this.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM

I've made more corrections. I have nothing in bold on this post because it turned out this way on this site. Everything in bold is on my original copy of the resume in MS Word.

SUMMARY

Career objective is to work in the field of cartography and GIS, analyzing data for geographic information systems and providing cartographic and GIS services.

EDUCATION: KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY
Bachelor of Arts in Geography July 2012

EXPERIENCE:

1/2012 to 4/2012 Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Kennesaw, GA

Cartographer

-Utilized ArcGIS and GPS to design an updated park map and an environmental trail map.
-The range of the maps varied from 1.76 square miles to 4.5 square mile map.
-Acquired additional skills which included the used of GPS units and software

1/2011 to 5/2012 ISRS at Kennesaw State University Kennesaw, GA

Student Assistant

-Assisted and mentored international students with transitioning to American life. This is something one does as an advisor or leader.
-Created bulletin boards is where the aspect of creativity stood out. The themes chosen were world events and facts about different nations. Creativity was also used in making and presenting a PowerPoint slide show regarding the subject of geography.

-Assisting in enforcing the rules of the International Student Retention Services.

OTHER SKILLS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
-Experience using Microsoft Office Applications.
-Experience with ERDAS and Adobe Illustrator
-Participated in a stream restoration and water quality monitoring project, monitoring bacteria and pH levels.
-Experience using laboratory equipment, chemicals, and water quality testing.
-Familiar with geographic analyses, tables, and graphics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or