U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 17 days ago)
 
48,267 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15365

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It may have something to do with no car, bad resume, and poor job hunting skills.

You should be sharing the family car with your sister. If that was unavailable, you should have taken one of those dead-end jobs, until you saved enough cash to buy your own car. You would kill 2 birds by getting a job and a car. Once you have the car, you would move on to your career. You should have created the 2 resumes as mentioned earlier.

You should be taking at least 2 career skills workshops a week to address the last issue.

You have been stuck in this situation for several months. Complete all those steps and you will be making steady progress each month to a career.
I just applied for a dead end job. I haven't heard anything back. My sister isn't using the car much anymore(she has a boyfriend), so I will be able to get to the Bureau of Labor next week.

I'm also setting up an appointment to go to the Bureau of Labor office next week. And at the beginning of this month, I had a job interview, the first one in months. I didn't get the job.

I have several resumes to address whatever job I'm looking for. I have had them reviewed by the career services at my alma-mater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,152 posts, read 34,662,772 times
Reputation: 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I talked to another friend of mine, who is underemployed. According to him, at least in Georgia, 80% of the jobs attained come through connections or inside sources. I also talked to a high school classmate who works at a grocery store. She said that her sister and law got her job without having experience because she knew someone there. And it was paralegal work. In short, it's "who" you know, rather than what you know. It actually angered me because I'm finding that my own connections are not enough, and I have felt like my abilities should show. I've even showcased some of my own cartographic work. It is not enough. Now I'm applying for whatever I can. I saw a job for a paralegal. I heard of a woman getting a paralegal job without any experience because she knew someone. The paralegal job I saw online requires 5-7 years of experience. It is basically like whatever has worked for other people doesn't work for me.
Okay... so it seems to me that Georgia is not going to produce a job for you. So it's time to change tactics. What about seeking jobs that are out of state? What about moving to Fargo, ND where the unemployment rate is really low and they are experiencing a boom in the oil industry? And that would be related to your geology major.

So again, my advice to you is give up on living in Georgia and to move to Fargo, ND!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 17 days ago)
 
48,267 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15365
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Okay... so it seems to me that Georgia is not going to produce a job for you. So it's time to change tactics. What about seeking jobs that are out of state? What about moving to Fargo, ND where the unemployment rate is really low and they are experiencing a boom in the oil industry? And that would be related to your geology major.

So again, my advice to you is give up on living in Georgia and to move to Fargo, ND!!!
My major was geography. I have applied to quite a few jobs in North Dakota. So are alot of other people. North Dakota is booming. That is why alot of people are looking to North Dakota for those jobs, and alot of them have much more experience than me. What I need is an entry level job, or someone who is willing to take a chance on me.

However, I would be more than happy to get out of Georgia and look elsewhere for work. I would give anything to get out of Georgia. I even tried to see if I could get a work visa for Canada. Lack of job experience equals no way. I have made phone calls to companies asking about employment opportunities.

I'm just upset because what has worked for other people hasn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,070,018 times
Reputation: 1185
i feel you man, cousin of mine graduated past may with a degree in health sciences. Got a job working IT, computers etc... Did he send out resumes upon resumes, many many interviews, endless cover letters constantly writing and rewriting each one?

No his best friend already works at the company and got him the job, no resume, no interview, no checking job sites again and again, no going to career fairs. That is, best friend works for company boom-job.

Thats life man, that is freaking life. Except for some specialzed jobs (say Nursing, you can't be a nurse unless you have the BSN, ADN no matter who you know!) , knowing someone is the best in. A college degree seems like a formality.

I apoglize for the bitterness in this post, just had to rant a bit. Yes working hard is important, dedication, getting those internships but having someone already in the company-dam that is the in, that is the bloody best way to get the job.

Any luck OP on chasing the minmium wage work? Or work that is not related to your degree? You need somethign while looking for the "real job". Months of no employment, interning hell even volunteering look incredibly bad on the resume- and yes you where proably looking your butt off the entire time for work, but the employer will not care-he/she will just assume you where too lazy and move on to the next person. Anyway I feel you man, everyone wants expereince but nobody wants to give it so you are stuck in some sort of sick, endless loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 818 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about seeking jobs that are out of state?
A site I found to search for jobs out of state is [url=http://www.tempemployment.com]Temp Employment[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,474,824 times
Reputation: 4920
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just applied for a dead end job. I haven't heard anything back. My sister isn't using the car much anymore(she has a boyfriend), so I will be able to get to the Bureau of Labor next week.

I'm also setting up an appointment to go to the Bureau of Labor office next week. And at the beginning of this month, I had a job interview, the first one in months. I didn't get the job.

I have several resumes to address whatever job I'm looking for. I have had them reviewed by the career services at my alma-mater.
That's great. You have car. That's progress. The next step is signing up for some 2 career skills classes. 2-3 hours per week is great. It's equivalent to one college class for a semester. You spent 4 years and 15 hours a week to learn how to be a cartographer. Since you have so much free time, it should be easy to find 2-3 hours for 1-2 classes on how to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 17 days ago)
 
48,267 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15365
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
That's great. You have car. That's progress. The next step is signing up for some 2 career skills classes. 2-3 hours per week is great. It's equivalent to one college class for a semester. You spent 4 years and 15 hours a week to learn how to be a cartographer. Since you have so much free time, it should be easy to find 2-3 hours for 1-2 classes on how to get a job.
I technically don't have a car, but I have been able to secure a ride to Marietta,GA next week. Finding time is the easy part. Now I just have to talk to my mother about how to solve these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 17 days ago)
 
48,267 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
i feel you man, cousin of mine graduated past may with a degree in health sciences. Got a job working IT, computers etc... Did he send out resumes upon resumes, many many interviews, endless cover letters constantly writing and rewriting each one?

No his best friend already works at the company and got him the job, no resume, no interview, no checking job sites again and again, no going to career fairs. That is, best friend works for company boom-job.

Thats life man, that is freaking life. Except for some specialzed jobs (say Nursing, you can't be a nurse unless you have the BSN, ADN no matter who you know!) , knowing someone is the best in. A college degree seems like a formality.

I apoglize for the bitterness in this post, just had to rant a bit. Yes working hard is important, dedication, getting those internships but having someone already in the company-dam that is the in, that is the bloody best way to get the job.

Any luck OP on chasing the minmium wage work? Or work that is not related to your degree? You need somethign while looking for the "real job". Months of no employment, interning hell even volunteering look incredibly bad on the resume- and yes you where proably looking your butt off the entire time for work, but the employer will not care-he/she will just assume you where too lazy and move on to the next person. Anyway I feel you man, everyone wants expereince but nobody wants to give it so you are stuck in some sort of sick, endless loop.
I feel your bitterness. I'm going through the same bitterness and anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,152 posts, read 34,662,772 times
Reputation: 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I feel your bitterness. I'm going through the same bitterness and anger.
You've really got to let go of this attitude. No employer wants an employee who is bitter and angry about the job market around their workplace.

You really ought to contact Minard's corporate headquarters in WI and see if they would be willing to help you relocate and live in Minot, ND as long as you agree to work for them there for a certain minimum period of time.

Retailer to fly workers weekly from Wisconsin to staff store in North Dakota | Fox News

Again, clearly your strategy for finding work is not working in GA. And the economic climate isn't going to be changing anytime soon seeing as how Obama is going to be our president for another four years. So it's long overdue for you to try a completely different way of getting a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 03:08 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,152 posts, read 34,662,772 times
Reputation: 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My major was geography.
Too many pages to go through in this thread, but what did you really expect to do with a degree in geography? Make maps? Teach geography to students in grade school? Be a travel agent?

And just out of curiosity, what was your grade point average in college?

I'm just upset because what has worked for other people hasn't work for me.[/quote]
Well maybe it's because those "other people" weren't geography majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top