U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Get in the queue , this is going to be in a long line
I don't want to be in that cue. I had a plan. It was to graduate college, get a really good job, make good money, get a better apartment for myself, eventually save up for a car, travel to different places, eventually start a business. Now I'm facing the prospect of living at my parents house again. I might be returning with a college degree, therefore, making my parents proud. However, I might be living at my parents house again nonetheless. I don't want to live that life. For me, it isn't a matter of "join the club, everyone is living like this". For me, it is a matter of "I don't want to live like that. I want something better".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM

64 posts, read 164,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't want to be in that cue. I had a plan. It was to graduate college, get a really good job, make good money, get a better apartment for myself, eventually save up for a car, travel to different places, eventually start a business. Now I'm facing the prospect of living at my parents house again. I might be returning with a college degree, therefore, making my parents proud. However, I might be living at my parents house again nonetheless. I don't want to live that life. For me, it isn't a matter of "join the club, everyone is living like this". For me, it is a matter of "I don't want to live like that. I want something better".
Not to be harsh but come on, nobody really wants to live like that, they also had a plan & they all want something better. Don't look down on others stuck in the same situation as you.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu8912 View Post
Not to be harsh but come on, nobody really wants to live like that, they also had a plan & they all want something better. Don't look down on others stuck in the same situation as you.
I'm not looking down on anyone. I just know why I personally want. For me the prospect of unemployment/living with my parents, it's very personal.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,726,893 times
Quote:
well i didn't want to be in the queue either but 2 years later i am still in the queue (after planning since age 14 and doing everything right:grades,internships,best college,best major)... i'm sure this is everyones plan that is force feed since birth. you study all your life, do the right thing, get the grades,graduate,etc but now all college does is bring a new breed of buyers and sellers who mostly face life long hell of debt and indecision, the american dream is dead, its been ran over and back up and ran over again..

however if you are lucky, (to know someone, be at the right place at the right time, be related to someone important, hit the lottery) you may be able to get out

Old 08-04-2012, 05:20 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,276,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu8912 View Post
He simply finds that situation below him which is perfectly fine. That attitude will likely help him get out of it.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,019,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Let me put it this way if you search google for the right terms then you will find a solution to your expired trial problem . Get your hands on ArcGIS 10 and ArcGIS for Server if possible. email some of your old professors and see what they say. Absolute worst case scenario, grab your credit card and get a ESRI ArcGIS Developer license so you get access to everything.

If you can connect the right technical terms on your resume then you will get callbacks. Anyone can Map but if you have legitexperience with ArcGIS that you can demonstrate then you're golden, especially since you just graduated.
Please send pm my way too. I have 3 copies of expired student versions.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
well i didn't want to be in the queue either but 2 years later i am still in the queue (after planning since age 14 and doing everything right:grades,internships,best college,best major)... i'm sure this is everyones plan that is force feed since birth. you study all your life, do the right thing, get the grades,graduate,etc but now all college does is bring a new breed of buyers and sellers who mostly face life long hell of debt and indecision, the american dream is dead, its been ran over and back up and ran over again..

however if you are lucky, (to know someone, be at the right place at the right time, be related to someone important, hit the lottery) you may be able to get out
I'm not related to anyone important.

If the American Dream, in your eyes, is truly dead, then where does that leave me? What am I suppose to do?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
He simply finds that situation below him which is perfectly fine. That attitude will likely help him get out of it.
I don't look down on anyone. I just had goals that haven't been fulfilled. I look at it like this. If I wanted to struggle, I would have just dropped out of high school. I know enough people who were able to get jobs straight out of college, but I also know quite a few people who are unemployed. In fact, I know people who dropped out of college and are employed at the moment.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,068,212 times
Quote:
you and about every other college grad has the same plan, is thinking the same thing. No, and I mean NO college grads wants to as you put it "live that life", no one wants to graduate, be unemployed and living with the parents again.

That being said you did have a past internship which sets you apart from most that graduate with only a degree. I recomend keep looking for the entry level, the unpaid internship concering your major, however in the mean time look for a part time job. yes that means shop rite, target, block buster etc... Something to make money in the meantime until you land the ideal/dream position.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,193,329 times
Quote:
I hate to break it to you but the real world in America is an incredibly unforgiving place for recent college grads. You just graduated college a few days ago. There are people who graduated years ago who still can't find any work at all. I graduated in December 2009. I have been unemployed for two years and it has been the hardest two years of my life. In the past six years, approximately half of all college grads are unemployed or underemployed.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/10/152354...ancial-footing

This economy is a wake-up call for millions of college grads. Yes, we all had big dreams. I thought that when I graduated college, I would be working and living in New York City around cool people living the dream. But a dream is just that, a dream; not reality. In reality, only lucky people with connections and the exceptionally skilled and most talented young people, period, are finding good jobs. Many times, the latter doesn't even cut it. The vast majority of us are average in skills, intelligence and ability. Where does that leave the rest of us? Out in the cold.

Don't beat yourself up. And don't look at moving back with your parents as a bad thing. Nothing worth having comes easily. Expect to send out hundreds to thousands of resumes with no response. Expect to show up to more interviews than you can count on your fingers and toes only to get rejected. There is nothing wrong with a little struggle. You might have to take a low wage job or deal with bouts of unemployment and see old friends easily succeed without trying while you continue to struggle. Life is unfair. Struggle builds character and will make you a survivor in the end. People who have been handed everything in life don't appreciate anything and are intolerable to talk to or be around. In America, we rightfully make heroes of people who take on getting dealt a bad hand but still become successful in the face of terrible odds and adversity. This is the reason why millions of Americans love Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Jay-Z.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-04-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or