U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,704 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Reputation: 26278

Advertisements

green mariner: Right now I think not having a car is your greatest hindrance. Is there anything, anything at all where you live that you could do for work to save up to get something? Even if it's some crappy job, you can save up while you live at home and get a car?

Maybe you've already discussed that, I haven't read all the pages since the last time I was here but if you get some crap job, get a car, and continue at that crap job while you drive yourself to other places to get a much, much better job, it might work out faster for you. (The money you save up doing that crap job after you get a car is to go towards moving expenses to a city or town where you find a great job.)

It doesn't have to be forever, maybe a year or two. It's been six months since you started this thread, just about.

I know when I first came here, you didn't want to do that but has your mind changed since then?

Aside from that way of thinking, about crap jobs, you seem to have done everything else the right way. Maybe it's time to just deal with a crap job to get yourself out of that town, in to your own place with a great job.

A year or two seems like a long time to you, I know. You're young, six months is a lifetime at that age. But in the bigger picture, it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Reputation: 4920
Three Wolves In Snow,

You have provided good advice. In the past, he has received similar advice from Andywire and other posters. His father is against the idea. His father controls his life. It's understandable that he trusts his father over strangers, even though his career advice has been ineffective.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26669428-post354.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
....
In my neck of the woods, there are the burger flipping jobs as you mention. I haven't been hired by any. I'm in competition with alot of people. I did try to explain this to my father. He says that if I did that, it could basically be a dead end if I stay at those jobs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 8 days ago)
 
47,987 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
green mariner: Right now I think not having a car is your greatest hindrance. Is there anything, anything at all where you live that you could do for work to save up to get something? Even if it's some crappy job, you can save up while you live at home and get a car?

Maybe you've already discussed that, I haven't read all the pages since the last time I was here but if you get some crap job, get a car, and continue at that crap job while you drive yourself to other places to get a much, much better job, it might work out faster for you. (The money you save up doing that crap job after you get a car is to go towards moving expenses to a city or town where you find a great job.)

It doesn't have to be forever, maybe a year or two. It's been six months since you started this thread, just about.

I know when I first came here, you didn't want to do that but has your mind changed since then?

Aside from that way of thinking, about crap jobs, you seem to have done everything else the right way. Maybe it's time to just deal with a crap job to get yourself out of that town, in to your own place with a great job.

A year or two seems like a long time to you, I know. You're young, six months is a lifetime at that age. But in the bigger picture, it's not.
I applied for a job at McDonalds and a job at a grocery store. I also went on my bicycle to find out if I could get employment at a library. I think that for me, applying to crap jobs has a humiliating feel, for me anyway. I was taught from day one that a college education would keep me from having to work at such jobs. And now I feel like my work was for nothing. I went to college with the mindset of "when i get my degree, this means I can get good-paying jobs". This was before the recession started.

For me, six months seems like a long time because I've often labored under the idea of "I want it now".

As for what I'm doing, I'm doing what I can do with what I have. I'm also using codeacademy.com to learn more skills to make myself more marketable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times
Reputation: 1185
i think of it this way, a crap job is better than no job. And just because you have a crap job does not mean you give up on getting the "real job". Job hunt when your off work, your days off etc... Remeber even a crap job is better expereince than "Yea i sat at home for 4 months looking for real work"

For myself the internship i am doing now, I hope will lead me to a real job or a paid internship over the summer, if however that is not the case, I have no issue doing the "crap job". Again Id rather much be the guy doing the crap job than the guy sitting at home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 8 days ago)
 
47,987 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Three Wolves In Snow,

You have provided good advice. He has been advised by previous posters to save up for a car. His father is against the idea. His father controls his life.

Recently graduated from college a few days ago. Now I'm having trouble looking for work.
That was months ago. Things have changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Reputation: 4920
There is nothing wrong with crap or entry level jobs as an initial step in the working world. Everybody has to start somewhere. I started part time at a fast food restaurant making less than $100/week. Now, I make over $80k doing SQL reporting. I stayed at the first job for only 2 months, before moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times
Reputation: 1185
As to your feelings of working a crap job after graduation, I can relate beleive me. Few years back- Here i just graduated college, worked hard etc... and my parents want me to hit up Stop and Shop to "at least do something for the time being. I was flabbargasted, completley disgusted. I puruse my passion, I don't slack off I graduate with a degree and you want me to work at Stop and Shop, a job that requires no college at all?

-Yea that was my attiude, complete disgust, complete apathy and revlusion to such an idea, no one goes to college, I did not go to college for 4 years to work the counter at CVS while my other friend with his accounting degree in hand already has a "real" job, so why the heck do i have to settle for CVS or Target and he gets real work?- that was my attiude but life humbles you quick

You just have to remind yourself its only temporary, as long as you keep looking there is still hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
69 posts, read 160,462 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Yea that was my attiude, complete disgust, complete apathy and revlusion to such an idea, no one goes to college, I did not go to college for 4 years to work the counter at CVS while my other friend with his accounting degree in hand already has a "real" job, so why the heck do i have to settle for CVS or Target and he gets real work?- that was my attiude but life humbles you quick

You just have to remind yourself its only temporary, as long as you keep looking there is still hope
I am in this exact situation, but I think i just have to be patient a little longer. how did things turn out for you, dazeddude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 AM
 
691 posts, read 664,051 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Other college students will be facing the same thing u are experiencing. Companies now want very narrowed experience and don't want to train new people.

... and they don't want to pay a premium for experience or skills that will never be used in the job advertised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
I am in this exact situation, but I think i just have to be patient a little longer. how did things turn out for you, dazeddude?
Kinda mixed right now. Atm i am back in school studying (nursing- yes I "jumped on the nursing bus"completely unrelated to my first degree) something that i hope will increase my chances for getting a good job, however it is not work it is still studying, essetnially it is like doing college all over again albeit shorter than 4 years- However i know not everyone wants to go back for a 2nd degree whether it is because of money or personal interests.

In terms of actual work I am doing an internship right now that is unrelated to my major of study, which is fine, again experince in something is better than nothing. I am hoping to use that internship to land a nice job or paid internship over the summer, office work, publishing firm, publishing house would be ideal.I have sent out some apps already for some summer internships, if they don't work out then I will hit the local Target/CVS, Stop and Shop, block buster, Khols really every retail store in my area for work.

Did I go to college to work retail-no not at all, not in the slightest but I need work, you need something on that resume. I promise you no college grad whether hard core STEM or liberal arts dreams of working minimum wage after college but you have to work.

In terms of patience, yes you have to be patient but there should be some reasonable limit. During that period of patience see if you can volunteer or intern somewhere to build up the resume a bit. However lets say you hit 6months of "patience" and still nothing but an unpaid internship or volunteering at the hospital etc... At that point I would just suck up the pride and hit the local stores, apply for the minimum wage stuff etc...

I promise you the Anthropolgy grad with 5 months working at Best buy will look better to the employer than the Anthropology grad who sat around for 5 months looking for the "dream job"

So again to your question I am doing ok at the moment. I am humbeled, i know longer think "Well i am to good to work at CVS etc..." Thats just the way the world is right now, you have to settle for the less desirable work whilst still continuing to look for the "real" work"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top