U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM

48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a data entry job. Now I just have to hope I get this job. It doesn't require a college degree, so I'm hoping my education level will give me an edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,068,212 times
wishing you luck! data entry is actually what i do at my internship

Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM

69 posts, read 160,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Kinda mixed right now. Atm i am back in school studying (nursing- yes I "jumped on the nursing bus"completely unrelated to my first degree) something that i hope will increase my chances for getting a good job, however it is not work it is still studying, essentially it is like doing college all over again albeit shorter than 4 years- However i know not everyone wants to go back for a 2nd degree whether it is because of money or personal interests.
Good luck with the nursing career path, for now I am sticking with Accounting and I will hopefully venture in IT when i do my advanced Degree. I have recently had a few leads with a few temp agency and hopefully once i get a short term assignment i can prove myself and get a permanent job.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
wishing you luck! data entry is actually what i do at my internship
Thanks. At this point, I can only do what I can with what I have.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
b4 i give somebody $100k for a degree and work my posterior off for 4 to 5 years i want to know what is the placement rate for this degree. a fair question no?
colleges are fake white collar trade schools selling outrageously expensive degrees that could be done for pennies on the dollar on the internet. all americans want a first rate college education. most just need a trade.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM

69 posts, read 160,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
b4 i give somebody $100k for a degree and work my posterior off for 4 to 5 years i want to know what is the placement rate for this degree. a fair question no?
colleges are fake white collar trade schools selling outrageously expensive degrees that could be done for pennies on the dollar on the internet. all Americans want a first rate college education. most just need a trade.
You are very right about that, unfortunately most of us have been made to look down on trade careers, but that will start to change once everyone in the unemployment line has a so called 4-year college degree.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,068,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
Good luck with the nursing career path, for now I am sticking with Accounting and I will hopefully venture in IT when i do my advanced Degree. I have recently had a few leads with a few temp agency and hopefully once i get a short term assignment i can prove myself and get a permanent job.
Ty, i would not stress too much over accounting, that is a very solid degree, granted you still have to work to get a job but it is a great degree to graduate with. Incidently accounting and business are proably the most popular majors at my school right now.

Like I said just be willing to settle if need be, your first job may be making sales calls, or filing, or data entry, you may never even hit the ledgers but at least it is a start at least it is something. My biggest mistake right out of graduation was being too proud to work in "A,b,C" because it did not have to do with my degree. Don't make that mistake and you should be good

In terms of whether X degree or Y degree is worth it, i don't see that much value in asking the school. The school will sell you any degree. Tommrow there could be a 4 year degree in "Family Guy Methodology" and i promise you to high heaven the University will sell to you how marktable that degree is. What i would do is do my own research, talk to people already in the field and if possible find recent-RECENT grads and see how they are doing. So if you want to major in Sociolgy and are unsure, look for Sociology grads pick their brain. If possible go to career fairs and see what majors they are looking for

Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM

15,363 posts, read 17,620,172 times
Quote:
colleges are fake white collar trade schools selling outrageously expensive degrees that could be done for pennies on the dollar on the internet. all americans want a first rate college education. most just need a trade.
A degree can be had for $15k -$20k total out-of-pocket for all 4 years if you go to state school and don't live in a dorm and if you also take advanage of the IRS education tax credits which are $2500 year toward college. This is with no scholarship money and no grants.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,548,020 times
Quote:
Yup! Good luck getting a school to say what your chances are on getting a job.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Yup! Good luck getting a school to say what your chances are on getting a job.
One thing my school never did either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or