U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: I didn't get the data entry job. It was filled by someone else. Today I made alot of phone calls. I have some names, and I will be making more calls tomorrow. My strategy is that if I just send my resume to HR, my resume will be one of a million. If I put a voice to that resume, by calling the hiring manager, then I can stand out better.

At this point, it's no surprise that I need to keep working on my driving skills. That being said, I still need to land a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
You are still making the same mistakes. Your previously posted resume needed lots of work.There is clearly more work needed on it.. You need to attend some job hunting classes.

I check out the main link in this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nterviews.html

Here is a good explanation on the flaws of your approach.

The Game Being Played Around You - YouTube

Last edited by move4ward; 01-08-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are still making the same mistakes. Your previously posted resume needed lots of work.There is clearly more work needed on it.. You need to attend some job hunting classes.

I check out the main link in this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nterviews.html

Here is a good explanation on the flaws of your approach.

The Game Being Played Around You - YouTube
I've already retooled my resume a few times and gotten advice from others. I'm just working with what I've got. I don't have much job history or experience. I don't even have a dream job that I want. I'm just after something that is in my field. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door and make money.

I'm wondering one thing. How is calling the head of the department a mistake?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
I'm working with what I've got. I asked someone to take me to a workshop. She said "she might". This depends on who has the car. So far, the biggest thing standing between me and doing more is no car. Even with the driving lessons I've been able to get, I am still trying to get the hang of driving(I've had an immense fear of driving). Therefore, I'm working with what I have.

Yes, I know lack of driving is holding me back. That is why I'm trying to change that.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM

I tried and asked for some more driving lessons. My mother has found out that I'm suppose to wear my glasses(I haven't bought another pair of glasses since I lost the last ones I owned a long time ago). Because I don't have what I'm suppose to have, I won't be able to get any more driving lessons until I get glasses, which basically puts me back at square one.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM

192 posts, read 280,737 times
Have you thought about moving to a city with extensive public transit such as Chicago or NYC to bypass the driving issue?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,201,484 times
45 pages of this thread is too much to go through. But if youy don't have a car and you expect to be a working professional, that's really going to hurt you. Surely you can afford a $3500 used car, - that's how much my 99 Civic HX cost me in Nov 2007.

And college graduate who don't break into their field within 5 years - I think they're hopeless and won't have a career. I went to an Alumni Eng Fair and met a guy from my college who was 5 years unemployed from graduate. He was white but had poor posture slouching in his chair. I surmised he was no good for a Mech Eng career.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
45 pages of this thread is too much to go through. But if youy don't have a car and you expect to be a working professional, that's really going to hurt you. Surely you can afford a $3500 used car, - that's how much my 99 Civic HX cost me in Nov 2007.

And college graduate who don't break into their field within 5 years - I think they're hopeless and won't have a career. I went to an Alumni Eng Fair and met a guy from my college who was 5 years unemployed from graduate. He was white but had poor posture slouching in his chair. I surmised he was no good for a Mech Eng career.
I don't have $3500 to spare. No job, no car. No car, no job. To get a loan for a car, then I would need a job. I have bad credit anyway(long story).

What does race have to do with this? I've been trying to keep race out of this.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
Have you thought about moving to a city with extensive public transit such as Chicago or NYC to bypass the driving issue?
Yes I have. I want to get away from Georgia and never live there again. However, I have to first get a job in Chicago or New York. I've also tried to get a job in Portland,OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or