U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM

15,363 posts, read 17,620,172 times

Advertisements

Did you apply to hospital jobs? yes or no? the ones that are low level such as data entry or supply stocking and such.

If not able to drive, did you apply to hospital jobs in the city of Atl where you can rent a room nearby and take a bus or walk to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM

22,746 posts, read 16,830,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I applied for a job at McDonalds and a job at a grocery store. I also went on my bicycle to find out if I could get employment at a library. I think that for me, applying to crap jobs has a humiliating feel, for me anyway. I was taught from day one that a college education would keep me from having to work at such jobs. And now I feel like my work was for nothing. I went to college with the mindset of "when i get my degree, this means I can get good-paying jobs". This was before the recession started.

For me, six months seems like a long time because I've often labored under the idea of "I want it now".

As for what I'm doing, I'm doing what I can do with what I have. I'm also using codeacademy.com to learn more skills to make myself more marketable.
Well of course it's humiliating, it is for most people, not just for you. I am genuinely pleased to hear that you did give it a try, though.

Your work is not for nothing. You did the work so that you don't have to STAY in one of those crap jobs, that's the difference.

Unfortunately, you're seeing what this country is going through, first hand, and even the crap jobs are scarce.

And yes, six months is a long time when you are young, as I said. But again, in the bigger picture, it really isn't.

Anyway, it sucks that you swallowed your pride and still didn't get anything...that stings pretty bad. Been there, done that!

Once you get a car, the doors of opportunity will open for you...now, just to figure out how the heck you're going to get a car. Other than, "keep trying", which is lame but really all there is to do, not sure how else to go about getting one.

Edit: The car doesn't have to cost $3500. There's several places to get cars much cheaper than that if you go in to it thinking, "This is just a starter car, it is to get me from point A to point B".

Car Max
Some of the repo places who sell cars back to dealerships will also sell to the public, (it's how I got the car I have now, six years ago...under Blue Book Value, great place..if I still lived in Miami, I would go back there to get another car when this one is done)
Little Nickel (or whatever you have in your area...bring someone with car knowledge if you don't know cars)
Out in front of people's homes, on the freeway, etc you'll see signs in cars, (again, bring someone with you)

You could, potentially, get a car for a grand, maybe a little less but not much if you want reliable. So, now the question is: How to get a grand.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 01-09-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,469,585 times
Quote:
I tried and asked for some more driving lessons. My mother has found out that I'm suppose to wear my glasses(I haven't bought another pair of glasses since I lost the last ones I owned a long time ago). Because I don't have what I'm suppose to have, I won't be able to get any more driving lessons until I get glasses, which basically puts me back at square one.
Driving with glasses makes a world of difference. No glasses is a deal killer. I would be scared to drive, if I couldn't see the road either. I can't leave the driveway without driving sunglasses. The driving lessons will go much smoother, once you can see and gain more confidence.

Even if you had the original glasses, the prescription is not up-to-date. You need to have an annual eye exam to determine prescription changes.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM

48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Did you apply to hospital jobs? yes or no? the ones that are low level such as data entry or supply stocking and such.

If not able to drive, did you apply to hospital jobs in the city of Atl where you can rent a room nearby and take a bus or walk to work?
All of the other stuff I got caught up, I forgot to think about hospitals lately. I will need to go back to that part.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Driving with glasses makes a world of difference. No glasses is a deal killer. I would be scared to drive, if I couldn't see the road either. I can't leave the driveway without driving sunglasses. The driving lessons will go much smoother, once you can see and gain more confidence.

Even if you had the original glasses, the prescription is not up-to-date. You need to have an annual eye exam to determine prescription changes.
My last eye exam was 3 years ago.

I never thought about "do I need glasses to drive" because when I got desperate, I didn't think about it. I just went for it.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well of course it's humiliating, it is for most people, not just for you. I am genuinely pleased to hear that you did give it a try, though.

Your work is not for nothing. You did the work so that you don't have to STAY in one of those crap jobs, that's the difference.

Unfortunately, you're seeing what this country is going through, first hand, and even the crap jobs are scarce.

And yes, six months is a long time when you are young, as I said. But again, in the bigger picture, it really isn't.

Anyway, it sucks that you swallowed your pride and still didn't get anything...that stings pretty bad. Been there, done that!

Once you get a car, the doors of opportunity will open for you...now, just to figure out how the heck you're going to get a car. Other than, "keep trying", which is lame but really all there is to do, not sure how else to go about getting one.

Edit: The car doesn't have to cost $3500. There's several places to get cars much cheaper than that if you go in to it thinking, "This is just a starter car, it is to get me from point A to point B".

Car Max
Some of the repo places who sell cars back to dealerships will also sell to the public, (it's how I got the car I have now, six years ago...under Blue Book Value, great place..if I still lived in Miami, I would go back there to get another car when this one is done)
Little Nickel (or whatever you have in your area...bring someone with car knowledge if you don't know cars)
Out in front of people's homes, on the freeway, etc you'll see signs in cars, (again, bring someone with you)

You could, potentially, get a car for a grand, maybe a little less but not much if you want reliable. So, now the question is: How to get a grand.
The biggest thing for me has been time. I have a friend who got a job with the university, and I tried to use his connections to help me get a job. It never materialized. This was back during the summer, a few weeks before I graduated. It worked the same way with other jobs. I tried to use any connections I did have to help me get jobs for the university. It never worked because other people got their before I did. Now it's winter and I'm wondering "WHEN is something going to happen?". Age could be a reason that 6 months seems like a long time to me. I think another reason it seems like a long time is because I feel like I'm going nowhere, like I'm stagnating.

As soon as a swallowed my pride and tried to go for the crap jobs, I saw that even crap jobs are getting harder to find. Where I live, I'm competing with teenagers(who are not adults yet and don't work as many hours), and people with more experience than me. It is kind of like "You're no different than anyone else, take a number".

I think one thing that has bothered me is this. Quite a few students from high school that I remember never went to college. This is where it hits home. I had alot of problems in high school. Never fit in well, dealt with alot of emotional problems, as well as fitting in. I figured "don't worry, as soon as you graduate from high school, you'll be in college and soon a great job, and the persons who you went to high school with will have crap jobs". I graduated from college after struggling with alot of things(like bouts of depression, and other problems). And now I'm back in the town that I went to high school at, and I feel like I'm stagnating. I looked up some old classmates. Some of them have better lives than I do. Many have jobs, can take care of themselves and their children. I am not even in a position to take care of myself. I think that is what bothers me so much. Stuff other people are happy to do, I wouldn't have been happy.

As for a car, one question is "HOW" to come up with 1,000 without the use of a car.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

192 posts, read 280,904 times
Quote:
Yes I have. I want to get away from Georgia and never live there again. However, I have to first get a job in Chicago or New York. I've also tried to get a job in Portland,OR.
Do you have money saved up? Unless you are in a specialized field, most employers for the most part only look at local candidates. That means most of the time if you want to be able to live somewhere else, you have to just move there to be able to get a job.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
Do you have money saved up? Unless you are in a specialized field, most employers for the most part only look at local candidates. That means most of the time if you want to be able to live somewhere else, you have to just move there to be able to get a job.
I don't have any money anywhere. I'm basically stuck. I had a reputation for griping about the state of Georgia and how it worked on much earlier threads. I have started to admit that there are some good things about Atlanta. However, the transit system isn't one of them. I've wanted to leave, but this is one of the reasons I stay. I'm stuck here. I'm stuck because I no one from out of state has offered a job to me. I've even said flat out to some employers that I'm more than happy to relocate for the job.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 98,678 times
Quote:
I don't have any money anywhere. I'm basically stuck. I had a reputation for griping about the state of Georgia and how it worked on much earlier threads. I have started to admit that there are some good things about Atlanta. However, the transit system isn't one of them. I've wanted to leave, but this is one of the reasons I stay. I'm stuck here. I'm stuck because I no one from out of state has offered a job to me. I've even said flat out to some employers that I'm more than happy to relocate for the job.
since you don't have a car, have you considered online work at home jobs? i have one that's part-time and you can save up enough in one month. I've been doing it for 2 years and man do I want a change of pace badly. It's a great job but it's not full time or have any benefits, basically IC work. I graduated college w/ a CIS degree in May and haven't gotten any offers either so I kind of know to what you're going through. I think we have some similar qualities/circumstance--introversion/quietness, moving back to a small town with parents, and older so that's a struggle on top of a struggle. Keep working on something.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,068,212 times
Well unfonartley OP what you are expereincing when even the minimum wage jobs are not guarnteed - is life, it is just the way things are right now, to think of our dreams when we first started to college to then go to praying/hoping the minimum wage job will hire... what happened how did we get here? Anyway enough digressing.

What I would recomend is persistence, lets say you called up/applied online to Sports Authority and they had no openings, I would call back a week later, or 2 weeks later and keep applying/calling every week or so. Nearly every place you apply online but I would still call up anyway and go in person and inquire. If you are still without job have you consdiered volunteering? Of course job is much better to have but if it comes to the point where you are jobless for a quite a bit, volunteering certinally won't hurt. And don't forget just because you are volunteering does not mean you stop looking for work. If it has been some time, look where you can volunteer for a few hours 1 or 2x a week so at least it something to add to the resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or