U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You'll do fine. Pretty soon it's going to be as easy as walking. In a year you are going to look back on this and realize how far you got. In a year you are going to be a regular driver and you're going to say "I remember when I put this off for way too long and now it's so easy."
I must do it. I have no choice at this moment. I have been reading some job descriptions. Things like GIS Technician. A few jobs are now requiring that I have a valid driver's license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
 
1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Reputation: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just got glasses today and I'm going to start driving lessons as soon as possible. I'm doing research on driving schools.
How are the new glasses working out? I remember when I got mine in second grade - it was like a different world!

Best wishes to you on finding a good driving school and taking the next steps! Please do keep us posted.

Best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
How are the new glasses working out? I remember when I got mine in second grade - it was like a different world!

Best wishes to you on finding a good driving school and taking the next steps! Please do keep us posted.

Best to you.
I can see much better. Without glasses, my vision is 20/70, and my prescription is considered very strong astigmatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,896,131 times
Reputation: 7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can see much better. Without glasses, my vision is 20/70, and my prescription is considered very strong astigmatism.
If you were attempting to drive without glasses, no wonder you were afraid of driving! What a person with 20/20 vision can see at 70 feet, you have to be much closer (20 feet from) to see the same way. Big difference! Learning to drive should be a lot better now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you were attempting to drive without glasses, no wonder you were afraid of driving! What a person with 20/20 vision can see at 70 feet, you have to be much closer (20 feet from) to see the same way. Big difference! Learning to drive should be a lot better now!
Glasses are part of it. Another part of it is that I've had a tendency to lose attention span, and I've often been afraid of other drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,896,131 times
Reputation: 7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Glasses are part of it. Another part of it is that I've had a tendency to lose attention span, and I've often been afraid of other drivers.
Do you play pool? My 1st husband used to say driving was just like playing pool, you have to look at where you want to go and your hands will follow. So keep cognizant on the center of the lane you are traveling in and your hands will follow and steer the wheel to keep you in that direction. Soon it will be second nature and not need so much attention. As for other drivers, well yes, you should drive defensively because there are a lot of nuts out there. But it doesn't mean you should be afraid of them. Just don't be surprised by some of the crazy moves people make on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 AM
 
1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Reputation: 3901
Default Innovative ways to use GIS and publicize your capabilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I must do it. I have no choice at this moment. I have been reading some job descriptions. Things like GIS Technician. A few jobs are now requiring that I have a valid driver's license.
Hey there, Greenie! How ya coming along with the new glasses, etc.?

I saw this today and thought of you. A GIS graduate on the left coast, who has come up with interesting ways to use her GIS skills. Maybe you might want to consider thinking about things like that?

Most Expensive Neighborhoods In San Francisco Detailed By Terrifying Heat Map

Chin up, best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Hey there, Greenie! How ya coming along with the new glasses, etc.?

I saw this today and thought of you. A GIS graduate on the left coast, who has come up with interesting ways to use her GIS skills. Maybe you might want to consider thinking about things like that?

Most Expensive Neighborhoods In San Francisco Detailed By Terrifying Heat Map

Chin up, best to you.
The glasses help a bit. I've checked out the site. Even for a basic plan, I have to pay to use MapBox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you play pool? My 1st husband used to say driving was just like playing pool, you have to look at where you want to go and your hands will follow. So keep cognizant on the center of the lane you are traveling in and your hands will follow and steer the wheel to keep you in that direction. Soon it will be second nature and not need so much attention. As for other drivers, well yes, you should drive defensively because there are a lot of nuts out there. But it doesn't mean you should be afraid of them. Just don't be surprised by some of the crazy moves people make on the road.
I rarely play pool, and I've never been a good pool player. But as for the drivers, my main concern is that I can lose my attention span easily. For me at the moment, driving is still kind of scary for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
I've talked to someone to see about getting a volunteer position to lend my GIS skills. However, I haven't heard back from the person in a few days.

I also looked up something about relocating for a job. In my mind, I think in terms of "if I have the skill and I'm willing to relocate myself to get to the job, then I should get the job". What I'm finding is that many employers prefer to hire locals first. I even read online the words of a manager. The person stated his/her thought processes(gender wasn't stated): the person said that if someone was to be willing to relocate for an entry-level job, it "reeks of desperation".

I look at it like this. Yes, I am desperate. Job prospects where I'm currently living are quite bad, so I'm willing to do anything to get a good paying job in my field. I'm happy to leave the Atlanta area if it means getting a decent job. I'm understanding how some managers might think, but at the end of the day, I don't care. What I care about is how I'm going to get a paycheck, and how my career is going to be furthered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top