U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 AM

15,363 posts, read 17,620,172 times

Advertisements

did you sign up for driving lessons with an outside firm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 AM

48,149 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
did you sign up for driving lessons with an outside firm?
I just made a phone call to a driving school.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM

22,746 posts, read 16,830,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Glasses are part of it. Another part of it is that I've had a tendency to lose attention span, and I've often been afraid of other drivers.
I've been driving for a long time, have had jobs that require me to drive all day, have a 130 mile commute right now...I'm STILL leery of other drivers. Don't get comfortable and think that other drivers are good, most of them suck at what they do.

Just take your Driver's Ed, learn how to drive well and learn to watch what other drivers are doing. They will tell you what they are going to do by their actions even if they don't show you, with their turn signals, what they will be doing.

Always look up ahead, behind you and to the sides, not just straight in front of you as many drivers do and you'll be ok. Start off slow, eventually you will get better and realize, that while other drivers can be total boneheads, if you are aware of your surroundings all the time, you will be ok.

Congratulations on getting this going. It's the first step to personal freedom.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,124,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been driving for a long time, have had jobs that require me to drive all day, have a 130 mile commute right now...I'm STILL leery of other drivers. Don't get comfortable and think that other drivers are good, most of them suck at what they do.

Just take your Driver's Ed, learn how to drive well and learn to watch what other drivers are doing. They will tell you what they are going to do by their actions even if they don't show you, with their turn signals, what they will be doing.

Always look up ahead, behind you and to the sides, not just straight in front of you as many drivers do and you'll be ok. Start off slow, eventually you will get better and realize, that while other drivers can be total boneheads, if you are aware of your surroundings all the time, you will be ok.

I remember being like a sophomore in high school and doing the beginning of drivers' ed in one of those simulation trailers where the screen would have kids out of nowhere running out into the street chasing a ball, drivers doing all sorts of random, dangerous crap, and thinking, "Nuh-uh. No way are people that stupid."

Then I started driving. People are even MORE stupid. If you stay aware of your surroundings and always assume that the people near you are morons who are going to do the one thing dumber than the dumbest thing you can possibly imagine them doing, you'll be fine. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

That is the best I can do at this point.

With this being addressed, I still have to address why some employers don't want to hire anyone from out of state. I've noticed this going on alot.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,124,494 times
Quote:
That is the best I can do at this point.

With this being addressed, I still have to address why some employers don't want to hire anyone from out of state. I've noticed this going on alot.
Because by and large, they don't have to. Doing so comes at a bigger inconvenience and cost to them, so if they can avoid it, they will.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Because by and large, they don't have to. Doing so comes at a bigger inconvenience and cost to them, so if they can avoid it, they will.
But what if the inconvenience is on ME? What if I am the person willing to pay my way to get up there? I'm willing to do it if it means I get a job. Last time I checked, the unemployment rate in the Atlanta area is quite high. I look at it as "leave, or stay unemployed".

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
But what if the inconvenience is on ME? What if I am the person willing to pay my way to get up there? I'm willing to do it if it means I get a job. Last time I checked, the unemployment rate in the Atlanta area is quite high. I look at it as "leave, or stay unemployed".
When an employer hires someone from out-of-state, the biggest risk is the new person decides to quit after 1 year because they want to return to their home state. Maybe they miss their family or maybe they don't like the new state. For whatever reason, there is a higher probability of this when they hire out-of-staters.

You can convince them that you always wanted to move to Seattle...that you aren't simply moving to Seattle because of the lack of jobs in Atlanta. You are moving to Seattle because this is the area you have targeted and it's been planned for many years. See...it's more convincing that you'll want to stay there versus being desparate for a job and NEEDING to move out-of-state.

You already stated in an earlier post about your long term goals of moving to several states/cities. Express this in the cover letter. Tell them you just graduated and you are specifically targeting Seattle and have planned to move there for several years. Your education/background appears to be a perfect match for the position. You are looking for a long term opportunity and are look forward to discussing it further with them. You already plan to move there and will do so on your dime.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM

green mariner: what's the status of your driver's license?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
green mariner: what's the status of your driver's license?
I'm still working for it. I need more experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or