U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,466,629 times

Advertisements

You can't make this stuff up. Somebody with a driving phobia choosing career in geography is like somebody with a fear of flying studying to be an airline pilot.

He has gotten great advice from various posters. All these excuses about his parents and driving are pitiful. He needs to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,431,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The job is out of the picture. And I've tried to talk about this problem with my parents. I've gotten a lesson whenever I could get one. However, someone still has to pay for the courses, and I have to wait for that. Meanwhile, I'm looking to other persons to teach me. I'm doing what I can do consider I have to depend on others to get anything done. If I had $500 on me, I would have already done this by now. I've already told my parents the driving schools available, and now my father has to decide which one is the best deal. According to him, it's alot of money to spend.

And driving is still kind of scary to me because I lose focus easily. I'm still not confident enough to take the driving test.
Driving isn't too bad if you don't talk on the cell phone or drink beer. It takes practice and I am surprised that your parents didn't force you to learn when you where 16 like mine did. If I were you, I would panhandle for the money to take driving lessons if I had to. Dress like a homeless person, go down to the corner with cardboard sign, and you will have the money in a day or so. Driving is a bit of necessity to find a job.

Is there anywhere you could work close to your house? You have been out of work for a year, so even Burger King is better than nothing. You could also look into work at home jobs. There is freelance writing, customer service, and call center work. You could check out Elance.com and probably earn enough money on one project to pay for driver's ed. There is also Work at Home Jobs: Free Legitimate Work From Home Job Opportunities.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM

130 posts, read 273,534 times
I sent him a good freelance writing gig that he could qualify for and get to writing for within the same day. He literally could make his fee for driving lessons in 3 days. Never heard a peep. I think he is stuck in self pity and likes the attention.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,679,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
I sent him a good freelance writing gig that he could qualify for and get to writing for within the same day. He literally could make his fee for driving lessons in 3 days. Never heard a peep. I think he is stuck in self pity and likes the attention.
Worthless. I'm not going to go easy on a person who can't even try to improve his life. I bet he will chime in with "I'm not good at writing" or some other front.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM

130 posts, read 273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Worthless. I'm not going to go easy on a person who can't even try to improve his life. I bet he will chime in with "I'm not good at writing" or some other front.
I wouldn't go that far.

But, these gigs would surely bring in more than min wage for him and he could do it part time while still job hunting. And he dosen't have to be the best writer. Its web content.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The job is out of the picture. And I've tried to talk about this problem with my parents. I've gotten a lesson whenever I could get one. However, someone still has to pay for the courses, and I have to wait for that. Meanwhile, I'm looking to other persons to teach me. I'm doing what I can do consider I have to depend on others to get anything done. If I had $500 on me, I would have already done this by now. I've already told my parents the driving schools available, and now my father has to decide which one is the best deal. According to him, it's alot of money to spend.

And driving is still kind of scary to me because I lose focus easily. I'm still not confident enough to take the driving test.
Dating must be difficult if not impossible for you.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
I'm getting that vibe as well. My sister is 31 and she too doesn't drive but unlike Green is trying hard to overcome her fears and learn to drive. The problem with her is she was born severely premature at 6months and weighed under 2lbs. So I think whatever part of the brain that governs reflexes underdeveloped. She can physically drive but tenses when confronted by routine events such as changing lanes etc.

However one thing working in her favor is she is a girl and at least the guys she dates are willing to pick her up and drive her. For a man not being able to drive and making minimal effort to drive must be an extreme turn off for most women.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM

27,165 posts, read 29,660,252 times
I was sort of scared about learning to drive. I blame my mom. She didn't drive on the freeway until she was 40. She learned to drive at about 26 after getting married and moving to CA. Her mom never learned to drive and lived in rural NC.

I got my license at 17. Drove to school my senior year of high school. Then didn't drive again (other than occasions a few times a year) until I was 23 when I inherited my dads car. I live in a metro where you can be careless with minimal sacrifice if you choose your job and home situation wisely. I have about 4 friends who have never learned to drive. Including one who spent 6 years living in LA. All are in there early 30s.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Agreed. He is 25 correct? This is beyond adulthood. Unless your in NYC or something you will have to learn how to drive.

Well this IS AMERICA....who cares that another student in another country didn't have to drive.

Under force....if I was your parent I would have kicked you out by now. Mid twenties with no job and doesn't know how to drive....you need to get your life started.

Also what is the "lose focus easily" about. When your driving there isn't much to lose focus on. Unless your drinking a beer or texting and driving you will look at the road and drive. What do you think you will be doing...daydreaming. your putting up a front.
His parents must enjoy having him around. He would have been out months if not years ago. Utter nonsense. I can understand not having to learn to drive because you live in areas well served by public transport. I didn't drive until I was 20 and that was because I had received a summer internship in Detroit and it was made clear that the only way I'd get to work was driving. So I enrolled in a driving school before the internship and got my license. Then bought a car when I got to Detroit.

You do what you have to do. That's part of being an adult.

Grow up Green.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,679,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
His parents must enjoy having him around. He would have been out months if not years ago. Utter nonsense. I can understand not having to learn to drive because you live in areas well served by public transport. I didn't drive until I was 20 and that was because I had received a summer internship in Detroit and it was made clear that the only way I'd get to work was driving. So I enrolled in a driving school before the internship and got my license. Then bought a car when I got to Detroit.

You do what you have to do. That's part of being an adult.

Grow up Green.
I'm not sure who to blame. My parents taught me that I need to be independant and productive. Not driving (unless you're where public transit is even then I'm sure you still want to leave the "Big City" once in awhile) and no job just isn't going to work. I personally wanted to get out of my parents house. Nothing wrong with our relationship, but the freedom was just too much to pass on. Made $9 an hour and lived in a $400 apartment/loft. It was great! You will learn a lot on your own.

Or do we blame Green. I have known several people who were terrified of driving. They did get their license and started to drive and are great drivers now. It is all in your mind. Not even lying. People put up fronts all the time. Hell I kept telling myself I was too busy to go to the dentist for 2.5 years since I was moved out of my parents. Now I need all of my widsom teeth pulled out and 6 need filled! All because I was throwing up this front and was "too busy".

Before someone spouts off how there isn't anyone to blame....there is always someone to blame. Someone should have done better or stop putting up a front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or