U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, you'll find your place.

However, your post can serve as a warning to others. I don't know if you performed any work study or internships, but those would have gone a long way towards giving any student a direction and contacts upon graduation.

I worked my way through college by working for the local daily newspaper. I started out as a copy boy, but they started throwing me at menial writing assignments. I moved up the food chain in a hurry and had a byline by the time I was a college sophomore. In my junior year, it was just too grueling to keep up, so I deep-sixed my newspaper career. But the fact that I knew my ass from a hole in the ground when it came to writing, getting facts straight, and hitting deadlines gave me a huge leg up for me. I graduated with an English degree and had a job inside of two weeks during a recession.
I did my internship for the National Park Service. I also had a FWS job during my senior year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM

192 posts, read 280,769 times
I can totally relate to what your talking about. I remember your thread a few months ago about finding a job with GIS. I too am looking for a job in GIS, but from all my research in the past few months, but like you said the job listings for GIS either want you to have years of experience, or to have programming skills. I do not have years of experience, and if I wanted to do programming, I would have majored in Computer Science. To be honest, I think it is pretty bleak for you to find a job with GIS anytime soon unless you amp up the programming skills particularly Python. Sorry to sound so discouraging, but I am in the same boat, for I am going to graduate with a BA in Geography at the end of the year and have been doing a lot of job research.

I too was hoping to find a decent job after college, so I could move out from living with my parents, and be on my own. That plan does not look like it will happen unless I want to settle for a customer service/sales job, and even then they barely pay a living wage. My personality does not suit those jobs at all though, for I have been in a customer service job for nearly seven years now. Like you, I did not go to college to do those types of jobs, or I would have not even bothered in getting a degree. Math is also my weakest subject, so I chose not to do business or one of those other "you will get a job with this degree" degrees and decided to learn about something that actually interests me.

I now have been looking at graduate school, which I never though I would think of doing until now with the bleak job outlook. I am looking at getting my MA in Urban Planning, for it has something I have always been interested in, and was what I was originally thinking about doing when I first decided to major in Geography. The job market for that is also poor, but I would rather spend the next two years learning about something I enjoy, rather than work in some unsuited for me customer service/sales job, and hopefully by that time the job market has actually started to improve.

I totally understand how you feel, and it is really unfortunate the way things are. I recommend looking at graduate school, but only do it if either you can do it cheaply, or if you can get an assistantship that covers most of your tuition costs which is what I am hoping for. It is not worth it to be in even a lot more debt, for something that will not guarantee a job. If not, try to find a job where you can learn new skills that may help you eventually get to the job you want to do.

Good luck!

Last edited by Flamedown; 08-07-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
I can totally relate to what your talking about. I remember your thread a few months ago about finding a job with GIS. I too am looking for a job in GIS, but from all my research in the past few months, but like you said the job listings for GIS either want you to have years of experience, or to have programming skills. I do not have years of experience, and if I wanted to do programming, I would have majored in Computer Science. To be honest, I think it is pretty bleak for you to find a job with GIS anytime soon unless you amp up the programming skills particularly Python. Sorry to sound so discouraging, but I am in the same boat, for I am going to graduate with a BA in Geography at the end of the year and have been doing a lot of job research.

I too was hoping to find a decent job after college, so I could move out from living with my parents, and be on my own. That plan does not look like it will happen unless I want to settle for a customer service/sales job, and even then they barely pay a living wage. My personality does not suit those jobs at all though, for I have been in a customer service job for nearly seven years now. Like you, I did not go to college to do those types of jobs, or I would have not even bothered in getting a degree. Math is also my weakest subject, so I chose not to do business or one of those other "you will get a job with this degree" degrees and decided to learn about something that actually interests me.

I now have been looking at graduate school, which I never though I would think of doing until now with the bleak job outlook. I am looking at getting my MA in Urban Planning, for it has something I have always been interested in, and was what I was originally thinking about doing when I first decided to major in Geography. The job market for that is also poor, but I would rather spend the next two years learning about something I enjoy, rather than work in some unsuited for me customer service/sales job, and hopefully by that time the job market has actually started to improve.

I totally understand how you feel, and it is really unfortunate the way things are. I recommend looking at graduate school, but only do it if either you can do it cheaply, or if you can get an assistantship that covers most of your tuition costs which is what I am hoping for. It is not worth it to be in even a lot more debt, for something that will not guarantee a job. If not, try to find a job where you can learn new skills that may help you eventually get to the job you want to do.

Good luck!
Looks like we both have something in common. Right now I'm trying to learn AutoCAD. I'm not getting anywhere with it.

It seems like what we enjoy is not in demand in the world, or if it is in demand, companies only want the experienced. I thought about getting a job in North Dakota. So far, there are jobs, but these are jobs that are dangerous to my health(the oil rig jobs). It would be asking for it to work on the oil rigs because I'm not that big to begin with, and I still have some residual issues from breaking my spine a few years ago. Basically, jobs that require alot of heavy lifting all the time would be very risky at best.

I haven't bothered to look at grad school because it's simply expensive and I'm burned out from years of school. Working was suppose to give me time away from school and earn good money. Now I'm wondering if that will be done.

It makes me wonder because I have found out what has become of some of my high school classmates. I can't get a job, but I know plenty of people who skated by in high school, didn't go to college, and have jobs. A few are raising families. I worked hard to get into college, struggled through depression, medical problems, and other crap to get through college, and now I can't get a job. I know a woman who only had a high school education, and she was able to get a job at a bank the second she graduated high school. No college for her. She went to work at a bank. I was in college and couldn't get a job at a bank. I was in college and struggled to get minimum wage jobs. I got a minimum wage job only because I knew someone at my university. To me it says "You're skills are worth nothing, it's about who you know". Sometimes I feel like either this world isn't made for me, or I'm not made for this world.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 AM

I had an interview yesterday for an office position at my university. It would involving filing records. Nothing much, but it isn't minimum wage either. All it required was a high school degree. Guess what? I didn't get hired. I was told there were better candidates. I thought "how? I have a college degree. How could I not be a good fit"? Even jobs below my standard are hard to get. Someone from the Aquarium still hasn't called me back yet. I have skills and experience, but none of it seems to mean anything to anyone. Now I'm trying to get more. When does it get better? When will it get better? Will it even get better?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM

At this point, jobs don't look promising. I might have to just move back home with my parents. I'm not happy about it, but I can't find any other options.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I had an interview yesterday for an office position at my university. It would involving filing records. Nothing much, but it isn't minimum wage either. All it required was a high school degree. Guess what? I didn't get hired. I was told there were better candidates. I thought "how? I have a college degree. How could I not be a good fit"? Even jobs below my standard are hard to get. Someone from the Aquarium still hasn't called me back yet. I have skills and experience, but none of it seems to mean anything to anyone. Now I'm trying to get more. When does it get better? When will it get better? Will it even get better?

Why in the world do you think a degree makes you more suited for this job than someone else? Someone who has experience working in an office environment is certainly more suited to the position than you are. Along with a degree, you have a great sense of entitlement.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,722,731 times
I think you need to calm down . Didn't you say it's been a few days since graduation ?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,722,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why in the world do you think a degree makes you more suited for this job than someone else? Someone who has experience working in an office environment is certainly more suited to the position than you are. Along with a degree, you have a great sense of entitlement.
It's not his fault. He was probably force fed since birth (seems to be my generation was told this great lie)that college degrees are better than HS diplomas instead of being worth not much at all.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,518,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't think it's "entitled" (which seems to be the most overly abused word on this forum) to feel that a degree should give you a leg-up in the job market. However, you need to be realistic and keep in mind that you're competing with people who do have experience and/or a degree. The problem with this job market is that there are very few employers who are looking for a TRUE entry-level candidate. There needs to be more positions out there where a college graduate can get started with a livable wage and room for advancement.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,271,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
It's not his fault. He was probably force fed since birth (seems to be my generation was told this great lie)that college degrees are better than HS diplomas instead of being worth not much at all.
Your degree might be but mine is much more valuable. On average it is much better based in income and unemployment.

Not every college degree is equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or