U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM

48,148 posts, read 45,495,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why in the world do you think a degree makes you more suited for this job than someone else? Someone who has experience working in an office environment is certainly more suited to the position than you are. Along with a degree, you have a great sense of entitlement.
I've also worked in an office environment as well. The position posting didn't even say I needed experience. So what if I sound entitled to you? I'm sick of being unemployed. I feel that I've worked hard and should be getting more out of my work than I'm getting. I'm looking at it from this position: I'm unemployed, broke, and I'm going to have to live with my parents again if I don't get any work soon. And it can't be minimum wage work either. I would be deemed overqualified for it. I'm also angry because I feel cheated. I know the economy is bad. I'm talking about ME and my own life. I'm sick of living the way I am living. If I wanted to be unemployed and live with my parents, I would have dropped out of high school. I can't even get a job at Starbucks, and I've tried over and over".

Entitled? I look at it like this. If I worked for my college degree, then I'm entitled for a decent job that pays well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I think you need to calm down . Didn't you say it's been a few days since graduation ?
It's been 9 days as of today. I just got turned down for another job. I know people who were able to get jobs out of their internships. It hasn't worked for me.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It's not his fault. He was probably force fed since birth (seems to be my generation was told this great lie)that college degrees are better than HS diplomas instead of being worth not much at all.
My father had a college degree. He has work. He got a job relatively quickly when he got a job. It worked for my father. It hasn't been working for me. That is what is frustrating. My father has told me that a college degree is important to have and that it is worth alot. He is a living example because he has work and he is doing what he loves. What is frustrating is that it isn't working for me.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I don't think it's "entitled" (which seems to be the most overly abused word on this forum) to feel that a degree should give you a leg-up in the job market. However, you need to be realistic and keep in mind that you're competing with people who do have experience and/or a degree. The problem with this job market is that there are very few employers who are looking for a TRUE entry-level candidate. There needs to be more positions out there where a college graduate can get started with a livable wage and room for advancement.
That is one thing that is frustrating me. I look for entry level jobs, and it is like few of them, if any, are being posted. There needs to be more entry level positions. However, I think some employers really don't want the newly-graduated.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM

One big question I've been asking is this: When will things get better?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,726,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My father had a college degree. He has work. He got a job relatively quickly when he got a job. It worked for my father. It hasn't been working for me. That is what is frustrating. My father has told me that a college degree is important to have and that it is worth alot. He is a living example because he has work and he is doing what he loves. What is frustrating is that it isn't working for me.
Your dad was born in a different time and probably graduated at the right time
Quote:
It's been 9 days as of today. I just got turned down for another job. I know people who were able to get jobs out of their internships. It hasn't worked for me.
I have only had maybe 5 interviews in 2 years and I majored in one of those "real" majors(I was better off majoring in art at least it would have been fun). If you have had these many interviews in less than 2 weeks you're gonna be fine.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Your dad was born in a different time and probably graduated at the right time

I have only had maybe 5 interviews in 2 years and I majored in one of those "real" majors(I was better off majoring in art at least it would have been fun). If you have had these many interviews in less than 2 weeks you're gonna be fine.
My father was born in the mid 1950's and graduated from college during early part of the Carter administration. I heard it was hard during the Carter years.

I've only had one interview. Maybe I'm extremely impatient, but I know exactly what awaits me.

If my parents lived in the city, I wouldn't be so worried, but they live in a relatively rural area, and I don't have a car. Even if where my parents live has grown alot since the 1990s, it is still too rural for my taste. Mass transit is basically non-existent. The roads are too dangerous for cycling, which is my main mode of transportation. I'm basically going back to square one.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
My father was born in the mid 1950's and graduated from college during early part of the Carter administration. I heard it was hard during the Carter years.

I've only had one interview. Maybe I'm extremely impatient, but I know exactly what awaits me.

If my parents lived in the city, I wouldn't be so worried, but they live in a relatively rural area, and I don't have a car. Even if where my parents live has grown alot since the 1990s, it is still too rural for my taste. Mass transit is basically non-existent. The roads are too dangerous for cycling, which is my main mode of transportation. I'm basically going back to square one.
i see...well... i have no words of wisdom besides 1.moving 2.being lucky 3. knowing someone that can get you the job

Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
i see...well... i have no words of wisdom besides 1.moving 2.being lucky 3. knowing someone that can get you the job
I'm more than happy to move. I don't want to stay around metropolitan Atlanta much longer. I would be more than happy to move away. So far, I don't even have enough money for a plane ticket, much less enough money to permanently relocate somewhere else. Being lucky hasn't worked. Right now I'm trying to use whoever I know in order to get a job. It hasn't worked yet.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'm more than happy to move. I don't want to stay around metropolitan Atlanta much longer. I would be more than happy to move away. So far, I don't even have enough money for a plane ticket, much less enough money to permanently relocate somewhere else. Being lucky hasn't worked. Right now I'm trying to use whoever I know in order to get a job. It hasn't worked yet.
Amtrak is much cheap.. longer, but cheaper.. i have rode from new orleans to new york for 30 hours (i fear planes) for only $128 (going).. Atlanta has a major Amtrak stop, and the Crescent train can get you far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or