U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 PM

12,674 posts, read 14,005,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Amtrak is much cheap.. longer, but cheaper.. i have rode from new orleans to new york for 30 hours (i fear planes) for only $128 (going).. Atlanta has a major Amtrak stop, and the Crescent train can get you far.
Even better, Amtrek often offers specials during certain months. I think I took the Amtrek from Detroit to Chicago a year ago for $85. Can't beat that. No wonder they are loosing money hand over fist

Also keep in mind... Travels incurred searching for work are tax deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Also keep in mind... Travels incurred searching for work are tax deductible.
That only applies if..

*You're searching for a job in the same profession as your last job.
*It's not your first time in the job market.
*There was a substantial break between the end of your last job and the beginning of your job search for a new one.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM

128 posts, read 144,223 times
1) Transportation - If you need an inexpensive way to get to some out of area job interviews try megabus. They are very cheap. Regarding the lack of driving skills, don't tell anybody else this. Especially not in a job interview. If you are in the country, get in that car and practice, practice, practice.

2) Here is a posting that is EXACTLY what you are looking for, a Student Trainee (geographer), Bureau of Census, salary range $22K - $82K: USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

It looks like there are several locations available: Los Angeles, New York, Albuquerque
(In case the link is not allowed, I simply went to usajobs.gov and searched "geography". This is the federal government's nationwide job search.) The job was just posted on Wednesday. Get that resume in!

3) There are SEVERAL entry level positions that appear to only require education. (See the one for the National Geospatial - Intelligence Agency. That seems VERY interesting.)

My first thought was who the heck majors in Geography! But looking at these positions you have numerous areas to go into. Look at the salaries!!!

Here are some quotes that you need to remember (sorry I don't have the authors):

"Opportunities don't happen, you create them."
"Don't complain; just work harder."
"God gives every bird his worm but He does not throw it into the nest."
"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs...One step at a time."

Good luck!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

137 posts, read 236,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know how important that is. Sadly, there aren't many in the Geography/GIS department coming to recruit at my university. At most career fairs, it is mainly the business, accounting, nursing, finance majors that seem to be represented the most.
I switched my major from geography even though it's my passion. Look at energy companies (especially companies involved in fracking), they are hiring at a good clip I've heard. I also was told only about 20% of geo majors work in that field, but most are for the government.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 AM

22,707 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
...I get upset because of all of the work and the money I put into my education. I was willing to go into debt for a college degree. Now I'm being told that my college degree means nothing. For me it is very personal. Other people might be going through it. But for me, it is very personal. I was more than happy to go into debt. Why? For me, it was an investment. Now I'm left wondering if it really was a waste of time. My father has told me "get your education. You don't want to work lifting paint for someone or doing some kind of menial labor". My father has a college degree(he got it back in the late 1970s). He got a job straight away. He was laid off after a few years. However, today, he is working, in his field. He was an example of what someone with a college degree could do. This is how I look at it. I went to college because I didn't want to spent my adult like working at a department store stocking merchandise or working on a construction site. I know what some people have told me. People have said "it's honest work". I have no doubt that it's honest labor. However, it isn't for ME. I could never be happy doing that work. If I wanted that kind of work, I would have drop out of high school. I wouldn't have worked as hard to get into college. I wouldn't have struggled with the all-nighters. I rode a bicycle nearly 5 miles to my internship, just because I had to. I was willing to do it because I thought of it as an investment, something that would lead to something better. I was willing to do it on top of my student job and 3 other classes in order to get my degree. My father was there to help whenever he could(and he works in another state, so he has to pay for expenses in 2 places, which can do damage to a paycheck). I was willing to go through all of that feeling that it would soon be worth it. Now I'm hearing that voice in the back saying "you wasted your time. you could have gotten a perfectly good job at the store or as a forklift". I went to college so I wouldn't have to do jobs like that. They aren't for me.

Living with my parents is something I'm trying to prevent. I don't have a car. I barely know how to drive. My parents live out on the fringes of suburbia(the exurbs). For me, it's a big problem. If my parents lived much closer to the city, then maybe I wouldn't be so disturbed about it. It isn't so much about living at my parents house. It's more about where they live. I don't have a car. I barely know how to drive(and I get nervous behind the wheel), and the nearest place within one mile is a gas station. At least where I've currently living, there are more places to be. Where my parents live, there isn't much to do. I would go nuts being bored. My parents got a house out there because at the time, they had children(the oldest was 11, that would be me). They wanted a quiet place. Now it's outlived its purpose, and my father hates living there too. The problem is that it's hard to sell a house in this market.
I hope I don't sound harsh in this reply but I have to say this:

Everything you wrote up there, over a dozen others on here could have written the same thing. We've all done that. Hell, I lived off of Top Ramen, nothing else!!!, not even a POP, for an entire year! Have you sucked down Top Ramen for a damn year? Don't even try to tell me about "willing to give up to make it" because we've ALL done it!

SUCK IT UP!

Do you think I busted my damn ass for 20 years only to find myself having to work a GD convenience store job a month ago?

I did well in high school, I joined the military and served my country, looking for terrorists, at 18, 19, 20 years old. That was NO cake walk, the military, but I did it not only to serve my country but because it gave me the opportunity to get an education. Do you think I busted my ASS in the military to work in a convenience store?

How about the years I was in school? I had big dreams too! I was NOT going to be some regular old Joe Blow working some b.s. job stocking shelves! I wanted more! Do you think I busted my ass in school to work in a GD convenience store?

How about all the years I have put in to earn the money to further my education? How about all the years I spent taking crap and dealing with bitchy co-workers to learn more in my field? Was that because I wanted to work some BS minimum wage job?

You are not the only one who has busted ass and had a dream. You are not the only one who has said, "That is not the life for me. I have worked hard, I want better!"

NO ONE here wants to spend their life working at Target! GREAT place to shop, but who the hell wants to work there? Or Wal-Mart or McDs? There's a TON of people on here with college educations that probably surpass what you have and guess what? They are having to work these jobs! Do you think they wanted that for themselves? Hell no!

The REALITY is, you just may have to bite the bullet and do it. Was I happy in that POS convenience store? NO! Not one fricken bit! It was almost embarrassing...hell, it WAS embarrassing! I'm worth more than that! I'm far more educated than that!

But you do what you have to do. So, your choices are, do some of what people are telling you, realizing that you may just have to take on some crap minimum job that you will hate, (I don't think any one of us on here has ENJOYED their time doing these jobs), but you do it damn good while you're there and you go home and you do what you have to do, no matter what, to make your life better by doing what others have suggested to you that relates to your field.

If you don't want to live at home with your parents, then take on the crap job if you have to.

My point? Get out of dreamland. Wake up to reality. It's a harsh, cold, unforgiving reality. It sucks! As the movie title went, "Reality BITES"! It's not easy to have that smack you in the face after you have done all that you have done. But you need to face it.

And always remember: IT'S NOT FOREVER!

It's just for now until you can finally get in where you want to get in.

It's really not your fault. You HAVE done all the right things. Continue to do the right things as has been suggested on here to put yourself ahead of the pack, to stand out, to shine. Do it. But even when you are being turned down over and over again, you cannot get upset and think it's your fault. It's not. You are competing against a large number of people, you don't have a lot of experience, (which, people, seriously, that is not anything new, they said that 20 years ago as well, and we all went through the same thought process, 'how the hell do I get experience if they won't hire me to get experience?'), the economy blows absolute chunks right now, we are being taken advantage of by far too many employers...you have a very, very steep uphill battle.

So, if you have to take on some crap job in the meantime, OH! WELL! That, sir, is the reality. It's a bitter pill to swallow but it's time to get your head out of the clouds and face it. It doesn't mean you are settling for less...NONE OF US are! It just means you see it for what it is and you deal with it, head on.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM

47,992 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I hope I don't sound harsh in this reply but I have to say this:

Everything you wrote up there, over a dozen others on here could have written the same thing. We've all done that. Hell, I lived off of Top Ramen, nothing else!!!, not even a POP, for an entire year! Have you sucked down Top Ramen for a damn year? Don't even try to tell me about "willing to give up to make it" because we've ALL done it!

SUCK IT UP!

Do you think I busted my damn ass for 20 years only to find myself having to work a GD convenience store job a month ago?

I did well in high school, I joined the military and served my country, looking for terrorists, at 18, 19, 20 years old. That was NO cake walk, the military, but I did it not only to serve my country but because it gave me the opportunity to get an education. Do you think I busted my ASS in the military to work in a convenience store?

How about the years I was in school? I had big dreams too! I was NOT going to be some regular old Joe Blow working some b.s. job stocking shelves! I wanted more! Do you think I busted my ass in school to work in a GD convenience store?

How about all the years I have put in to earn the money to further my education? How about all the years I spent taking crap and dealing with bitchy co-workers to learn more in my field? Was that because I wanted to work some BS minimum wage job?

You are not the only one who has busted ass and had a dream. You are not the only one who has said, "That is not the life for me. I have worked hard, I want better!"

NO ONE here wants to spend their life working at Target! GREAT place to shop, but who the hell wants to work there? Or Wal-Mart or McDs? There's a TON of people on here with college educations that probably surpass what you have and guess what? They are having to work these jobs! Do you think they wanted that for themselves? Hell no!

The REALITY is, you just may have to bite the bullet and do it. Was I happy in that POS convenience store? NO! Not one fricken bit! It was almost embarrassing...hell, it WAS embarrassing! I'm worth more than that! I'm far more educated than that!

But you do what you have to do. So, your choices are, do some of what people are telling you, realizing that you may just have to take on some crap minimum job that you will hate, (I don't think any one of us on here has ENJOYED their time doing these jobs), but you do it damn good while you're there and you go home and you do what you have to do, no matter what, to make your life better by doing what others have suggested to you that relates to your field.

If you don't want to live at home with your parents, then take on the crap job if you have to.

My point? Get out of dreamland. Wake up to reality. It's a harsh, cold, unforgiving reality. It sucks! As the movie title went, "Reality BITES"! It's not easy to have that smack you in the face after you have done all that you have done. But you need to face it.

And always remember: IT'S NOT FOREVER!

It's just for now until you can finally get in where you want to get in.

It's really not your fault. You HAVE done all the right things. Continue to do the right things as has been suggested on here to put yourself ahead of the pack, to stand out, to shine. Do it. But even when you are being turned down over and over again, you cannot get upset and think it's your fault. It's not. You are competing against a large number of people, you don't have a lot of experience, (which, people, seriously, that is not anything new, they said that 20 years ago as well, and we all went through the same thought process, 'how the hell do I get experience if they won't hire me to get experience?'), the economy blows absolute chunks right now, we are being taken advantage of by far too many employers...you have a very, very steep uphill battle.

So, if you have to take on some crap job in the meantime, OH! WELL! That, sir, is the reality. It's a bitter pill to swallow but it's time to get your head out of the clouds and face it. It doesn't mean you are settling for less...NONE OF US are! It just means you see it for what it is and you deal with it, head on.
I'm not going to lie. It does sound very harsh to me. I have lived on ramen before. After a while I didn't want to look at it. When I hear "suck it up", sometimes I think "I have been sucking it up for a long time thinking that it would get better. Maybe I'm just not a patient person".

You served in the military? I wish I could at this point. I've been told NO by the military because of spine issues. I'm considered a liability for that reason.

I've tried getting jobs that I considered below my educational background. I wasn't even hired by them. Starbucks has told me no a few times. I had an interview a few days ago for a job that was for a basic filing position. The job was given to someone else. According to one person I talked to about it, I'm considered overqualified for such a job that doesn't require a college education. Even the crap jobs are harder to get because I'm competing with people who are desperate for them.

I look at it like this. How can I get more experience in my field if no one takes a chance on me?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post
1) Transportation - If you need an inexpensive way to get to some out of area job interviews try megabus. They are very cheap. Regarding the lack of driving skills, don't tell anybody else this. Especially not in a job interview. If you are in the country, get in that car and practice, practice, practice.

2) Here is a posting that is EXACTLY what you are looking for, a Student Trainee (geographer), Bureau of Census, salary range $22K - $82K: USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

It looks like there are several locations available: Los Angeles, New York, Albuquerque
(In case the link is not allowed, I simply went to usajobs.gov and searched "geography". This is the federal government's nationwide job search.) The job was just posted on Wednesday. Get that resume in!

3) There are SEVERAL entry level positions that appear to only require education. (See the one for the National Geospatial - Intelligence Agency. That seems VERY interesting.)

My first thought was who the heck majors in Geography! But looking at these positions you have numerous areas to go into. Look at the salaries!!!

Here are some quotes that you need to remember (sorry I don't have the authors):

"Opportunities don't happen, you create them."
"Don't complain; just work harder."
"God gives every bird his worm but He does not throw it into the nest."
"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs...One step at a time."

Good luck!!!
Thank you for the link. This is what I have needed all along.

And I never tell anyone I don't have a car. I know that if employers find out I don't have a car, they won't want to take a chance on me, especially in metropolitan Atlanta where having a car isn't a status symbol, it's a survival mechanism.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM

930 posts, read 1,639,521 times
Quote:
But the thing is, I'm not happy with working any of those jobs.
Then you don't want it bad enough. It sucks out here in the real world right now. College did not prepare you for this - you've been in a cocoon for 4 (I assume) years.

Are you too proud to work a job that's not your dream for a certain period of time in order to better position yourself for what you do want? This forum is filled with people who would break a leg for any job. You are whining about your spiritual fulfillment literally days after leaving college.

How's your old bedroom looking these days?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Then you don't want it bad enough. It sucks out here in the real world right now. College did not prepare you for this - you've been in a cocoon for 4 (I assume) years.

Are you too proud to work a job that's not your dream for a certain period of time in order to better position yourself for what you do want? This forum is filled with people who would break a leg for any job. You are whining about your spiritual fulfillment literally days after leaving college.

How's your old bedroom looking these days?
I never said I wouldn't apply for those jobs. I just said I am not happy to work those jobs. I look at it is as going back to square one. It is not a matter of being too good for the job. It's a matter of "if I wanted such jobs, I would have not even worked that hard in high school". My point is that I worked hard and I feel cheated as a result.

I even went to an interview for a job that was well below my skill level. The job paid $10 an hour. It was basically secretary work. I was passed up for two other candidates. I also applied for a job at a restaurant. I haven't been called back. Starbucks said no too. Even the crap jobs don't seem to hire me.

I talked to someone about it. His explanation made me think about something. He said that perhaps I'm overqualified. His reasoning was that it didn't make alot of sense to hire someone with a college degree for a job that only requires a high school degree, the idea being that after a while, a college graduate would be disappointed and leave after a while.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM

241 posts, read 881,990 times
Quote:
I talked to someone about it. His explanation made me think about something. He said that perhaps I'm overqualified. His reasoning was that it didn't make alot of sense to hire someone with a college degree for a job that only requires a high school degree, the idea being that after a while, a college graduate would be disappointed and leave after a while.
Those employers at min wage jobs know that you cannot afford the cost of living (food, bills, rent) plus pay your school loan debt on 8-10 bucks an hour. They know that you'll be looking for something better while you're working there. They don't like to keep hiring people so they pass on people with college degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or