Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

It's been 18 days since you graduated.

I think you are being a little impatient. No, I think you are being a lot impatient.

Of course you want to graduate and go right on in to a job. It doesn't really work that way. A very, very, VERY small percentage of people have that happen to them.

Welcome to the real world.

Harsh, ain't she?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
On Tuesday I received my BA in Geography. I couldn't have been happier. Now reality is setting in. I have been having trouble finding any work. I have been turned down from so many jobs. Every job I've looked up, it requires at least 2 or 3 years experience, maybe more. Right now I'm looking for jobs in cartography, GIS, surveying, and other things related to geography. Finding a posting that takes a geography degree isn't the problem. Finding a job that doesn't require experience is next to impossible. I'm willing to relocate out of state. In fact, I want to. However, the problem is finding anything. I'm wondering what is going to happen to other college students right now.
The reality in the USA is that if you are looking for a job, you are essentially competing with anyone in the world who wants that job and there are not many jobs in this country because a huge chunk of them were exported to third world nations.

There might be under 800,000 new jobs created in a year but there are many thousands of college graduates, high school graduates, laid off people looking for a job as well as a million legal immigrants every year and many more illegal immigrants every year being brought in to compete for jobs with American citizens. That's the cold reality.

The population of this country is growing at a tremendous rate but there are fewer people working full time. 18 days when you're up against that kind of numbers is nothing. Just try to secure something before the next batch of graduates or the chances go down.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:04 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's been 18 days since you graduated.

I think you are being a little impatient. No, I think you are being a lot impatient.

Of course you want to graduate and go right on in to a job. It doesn't really work that way. A very, very, VERY small percentage of people have that happen to them.

Welcome to the real world.

Harsh, ain't she?
Impatient, perhaps. However, my parents live in Paulding County,GA. I can't drive(no car of my own, and my sister often needs it), and there is nothing to do because it's basically a rural county populated with subdivisions. Half of the time I don't get decent internet. I'm basically in a position where I've bored much of the time, there is nowhere I can go to do anything. That is one major reason I'm looking for a job, to get away from Paulding County, and back to the inner part of metropolitan Atlanta.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The reality in the USA is that if you are looking for a job, you are essentially competing with anyone in the world who wants that job and there are not many jobs in this country because a huge chunk of them were exported to third world nations.

There might be under 800,000 new jobs created in a year but there are many thousands of college graduates, high school graduates, laid off people looking for a job as well as a million legal immigrants every year and many more illegal immigrants every year being brought in to compete for jobs with American citizens. That's the cold reality.

The population of this country is growing at a tremendous rate but there are fewer people working full time. 18 days when you're up against that kind of numbers is nothing. Just try to secure something before the next batch of graduates or the chances go down.
In short my chances of getting a job are better if I go outside of the USA. I've thought about that numerous times. However, what I need in the current moment is about $4,000 to plan for something like that. Money for a plane ticket to get somewhere and a place to stay once I get there, as well as food.

Right now I'm in a position where I'm basically stuck unless

A) I get a car. I don't have the money for it. If I had the money for it, I wouldn't be living with my parents.

B) Just up and leave, and endure voluntary homelessness for a while. I'm not sure if I have the strength to do that.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short my chances of getting a job are better if I go outside of the USA. I've thought about that numerous times. However, what I need in the current moment is about $4,000 to plan for something like that. Money for a plane ticket to get somewhere and a place to stay once I get there, as well as food.

Right now I'm in a position where I'm basically stuck unless

A) I get a car. I don't have the money for it. If I had the money for it, I wouldn't be living with my parents.

B) Just up and leave, and endure voluntary homelessness for a while. I'm not sure if I have the strength to do that.
It can be -- I know several people who work internationally -- not all even have a degree.

One guy started in HVAC because he was mechanically inclined, no degree. He was good at fixing air conditioning units. They wanted to start sending him to other countries like Argentina because if one of those huge heavy units fail, it's a lot cheaper to ship the human to the units than to ship the units back to have them repaired. It's also cheaper to just fly a service guy to the units than to train locals to fix them.

Sometimes you can just get to know a product very well and become an instructor or trainer and find yourself working in other countries. It won't cost you anything because the company will pay what it costs to send you here and there.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

What I think you should do is find a company that could eventually use your degree, take the most bottom job if you must in that company. Work in the mail room, or as a receptionist. Do your research on any possible such companies that are near you. Say you would be very happy to learn the business from the ground up, you want to see how it all works and want any kind of experience that might help you later on.

Also look around for other relatives that might let you stay with them for minimum rent just to help you get started if you could find a job near where they live.

If you can get a job, the rest would work out somehow. I think with a degree though, it's best to try for some of the less heard of jobs in a company that you might want to stay in and move up in.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
I think it's a good thing you are unhappy and motivated to get out. Don't listen to some who say there are a ton of people like you so this is normal. Be the one who refuses to accept the reality you are currently in and it will likely help you get out of it quicker.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I think it's a good thing you are unhappy and motivated to get out. Don't listen to some who say there are a ton of people like you so this is normal. Be the one who refuses to accept the reality you are currently in and it will likely help you get out of it quicker.
I am unhappy and I do want to get out. However, there are days when I don't feel motivated. There are days where I feel like "man, what's the use, I'm stuck here". Today was that desperate "I have to find something to do, I have to get out of here" kind of day.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
What I think you should do is find a company that could eventually use your degree, take the most bottom job if you must in that company. Work in the mail room, or as a receptionist. Do your research on any possible such companies that are near you. Say you would be very happy to learn the business from the ground up, you want to see how it all works and want any kind of experience that might help you later on.

Also look around for other relatives that might let you stay with them for minimum rent just to help you get started if you could find a job near where they live.

If you can get a job, the rest would work out somehow. I think with a degree though, it's best to try for some of the less heard of jobs in a company that you might want to stay in and move up in.
I am trying to find a company that could use my skills. Last night I watched sharks with my mother. There were people looking for investments. They had a product to sell. If only they could explain the product and why someone should by it, they would get the money. My situation is different. I don't have a product to sell. I have a skill to sell. I have intellect to sell. However, in order to sell that, I have to sell MYSELF, which is the hardest part. I am looking around though.

I have thought about asking relatives. However, my parents are letting me stay for free. I would hope relatives would do the same for me. I haven't asked because I don't know how it would work.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It can be -- I know several people who work internationally -- not all even have a degree.

One guy started in HVAC because he was mechanically inclined, no degree. He was good at fixing air conditioning units. They wanted to start sending him to other countries like Argentina because if one of those huge heavy units fail, it's a lot cheaper to ship the human to the units than to ship the units back to have them repaired. It's also cheaper to just fly a service guy to the units than to train locals to fix them.

Sometimes you can just get to know a product very well and become an instructor or trainer and find yourself working in other countries. It won't cost you anything because the company will pay what it costs to send you here and there.
That is true for the guy working in HVAC. However, what about cartographers and geographers? What nations can use my skills that I have developed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search