Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times

Advertisements

In addition to starting the process of applying for the Peace Corps(I find it to be long), I also have an opportunity present to tutor a person. It might bring in some money for me. Not much, but I will be doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In addition to starting the process of applying for the Peace Corps(I find it to be long), I also have an opportunity present to tutor a person. It might bring in some money for me. Not much, but I will be doing something.
Awesome about tutoring.

The Peace Corp sounds like a great way for you get get working experience in Geography. This might be better on your resume than getting a Masters. When you are done with the Peace Corp you will have working experience to add to your 4 year degree.

Plus some money saved up for an apartment when you move to the city of your choice when you get out of the Peace Corp and get a job in Geography. Maybe the Peace Corp is your indirect ticket to Seattle.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I guess I'm just a bit scared. I wouldn't mind going overseas, but I usually associate the Peace Corps with having somewhat rough conditions. I know one woman who spoke to my senior seminar class, who was stationed in Uganda, who said she didn't always have access to internet, and she lived in pretty rustic conditions.

I have started the process in applying for the Peace Corps.

I have one thing to ask. Would I be able to fly home to see family members during my service?
You will! You do get vacation days. The Peace Corps will not pay for your flight home, but most of my friends have had no problem doing that with the money they earned from their stipend. Most people seem to visit home for about 2 weeks in the middle of their service. Alternatively, you have plenty of time to travel around the region - either couch surfing on other Peace Corps volunteers' couches or staying in cheap hostels. A friend I studied abroad with is now serving in Paraguay and her sister just flew in to spend a week and a half traveling through Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile - and then they went back to Paraguay so my friend could get back to work while her sister got to experience life in the town they live in.

Definitely speak to a recruiter and see what your chances are. MOST posts are quite rustic - but there's something to be said for learning to live in those conditions. I can tell you from experience, it's not so bad as you would think. Going to the internet cafe in town (which, when I lived in a small, rural village in Mexico, was basically a shack run off of a generator with some 10 year old computers) to send emails or update your blog isn't so bad when your days are full. You're learning a new language (often), a new culture, new foods, and a new job - you can live a happy life living like a local. You just can't expect it to be like home. Most of the world does not have the internet in their home or a tv. The internet might be more of a necessity in our culture because of job hunting and work, but you really won't miss it if you integrate yourself into the community you live in.

If I'm still single when I hit my 5 year remission (which is what is keeping me out of the Peace Corps now - I'm medically disqualified), I will be out in the field in a hot second... but I also will qualify for both the health and technology tracks.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM

115 posts, read 266,734 times
My wife cousin recently graduated with a Bachelor in Finance from UMKC. She hunted down her own internship, and when she just graduated they asked her to come on full time. Of course she hurried up and accepted in this economy. Me, I am a different sort, I wish I would have had her ferverance to hunt for that while I was attending college(2 year Network Systems Administration Degree), I got all the best grades while attending, but I jacked myself because I didn't hunt down the internship to get any experience. So now all me and my wife got is college debt and not the right career to even pay it back. lol. I had one Network project, while I was working at a local University. And that's it. And I finished that degree in 2008. So even though I am were I am, I just tell you to keep your head up and keep right on trying, and never give up.. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 AM

273 posts, read 1,060,269 times
a college degree in anything but hard math and science (e.g. physics, chemistry, advanced biology) is as valuable as a high school kid saying that he wants to grow up to be a rapper, ball player, or some type of entertainer one day. it's a stupid idea and a dumb dream. sure 1 out of every 20,000 people statistically make it but if you tell that to 20,000 students paying real hard earned money, i bet they wouldn't do it. who told you to take a liberal arts degree? makes no sense.

you went to college and were fleeced. should have gone to a trade school instead where you could learn how to fix HVAC, or cars, or plumbing, or a real hands on skill that cannot be outsourced, and has REAL value. no one cares that you know where iraq is on the map, or how Shakespeare (here's looking at you, you useless english majors) uses whatever literary device in his obsolete work out of tune with the 21st century. you learned NOTHING USEFUL in terms of job skills. you need a phd to work in weather or anything related to earth science.

college = scam

either go learn a real skill or line up behind the other fashionable starbucks chugging english and political science or whatever gibberish majors to fill out an application for a target cashier.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
a college degree in anything but hard math and science (e.g. physics, chemistry, advanced biology) is as valuable as a high school kid saying that he wants to grow up to be a rapper, ball player, or some type of entertainer one day. it's a stupid idea and a dumb dream. sure 1 out of every 20,000 people statistically make it but if you tell that to 20,000 students paying real hard earned money, i bet they wouldn't do it. who told you to take a liberal arts degree? makes no sense.

you went to college and were fleeced. should have gone to a trade school instead where you could learn how to fix HVAC, or cars, or plumbing, or a real hands on skill that cannot be outsourced, and has REAL value. no one cares that you know where iraq is on the map, or how Shakespeare (here's looking at you, you useless english majors) uses whatever literary device in his obsolete work out of tune with the 21st century. you learned NOTHING USEFUL in terms of job skills. you need a phd to work in weather or anything related to earth science.

college = scam

either go learn a real skill or line up behind the other fashionable starbucks chugging english and political science or whatever gibberish majors to fill out an application for a target cashier.
You really feel that way?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Hey GreenMariner. How are things going? Are you learning to drive? Any movement in the Peace Corp app? Any interviews? Sending positive thoughts your way.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Hey GreenMariner. How are things going? Are you learning to drive? Any movement in the Peace Corp app? Any interviews? Sending positive thoughts your way.
The rug was pulled underneath me regarding driving. My mother basically said "no more driving lessons until you get glasses". I'm moving my Peace Corps application. I haven't had any interview yet, and I was turned down for an office receptionist position via email.

The tutoring deal isn't working out very well. I haven't even been paid.

I've applied for a second internship, and even talked to the person over the phone about it. I haven't heard back from anyone ever since.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM

662 posts, read 1,046,115 times
Quote:

college = scam

I'm scared...

Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM

189 posts, read 361,760 times
Quote:

college = scam

Absolutely, the only useful degrees are in Engineering, Science or Business (accouting/finance). Everything else is garbage waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search