Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWingFan View Post
I am in the same boat although I graduated in May and have been looking for work for about two months, I have signed up with a couple staffing firms and now Im heeding the advice of applying to less jobs and taking more time to personalize cover letters I feel thats the best way to get your foot in the door, digitally speaking

Also I got a degree in Political Science, so besides government jobs Im looking at sales, customer service, admin assistant, almost did a recruiter job but I dont like what they do, anyway maybe open your options for anything to get you working for now and move forward

Good luck
i dont understand why so many people wait til after they graduate to start looking for work. i mean i understand- it is due to a combination of laziness and lack of motivation and we've all been there- but i dont understand why they do this and then acting surprised when they haven't found anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i dont understand why so many people wait til after they graduate to start looking for work. i mean i understand- it is due to a combination of laziness and lack of motivation and we've all been there- but i dont understand why they do this and then acting surprised when they haven't found anything.
I was looking for work before I graduated. I was applying for jobs during my last semester of college. I was hoping that my internship and the prospect of me graduating would help. It hasn't help. I thought that since I have now graduated, I might have more value.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM

114 posts, read 239,807 times
Quote:
Lol because I was working up until I graduated, a couple graveyard shifts a week as a security guard along with some contract work once a month for big gigs, I had to take that job because I was taking 18 credits and studying for my real estate license and its hard to find working hours when you are taking that many classes, and then after I graduated I wanted a month to visit my family in Nor Cal n Michigan n to relax, plus as I mentioned I moved back home and paid for my own schooling and have been will be working all my life and even if I had been looking it doesnt mean you land something

I know your not being personal but I will put my work ethic next to yours any day of the week bub lol I guess I should of mentioned I have about 3 years of work experience in sales, customer service, prop mgmt, and a little marketing as well I was a returning student

Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was looking for work before I graduated. I was applying for jobs during my last semester of college. I was hoping that my internship and the prospect of me graduating would help. It hasn't help. I thought that since I have now graduated, I might have more value.
i wasn't necessarily referring to the original post, just the fact that i have seen similar stories to the one i quoted a bunch on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWingFan View Post
Lol because I was working up until I graduated, a couple graveyard shifts a week as a security guard along with some contract work once a month for big gigs, I had to take that job because I was taking 18 credits and studying for my real estate license and its hard to find working hours when you are taking that many classes, and then after I graduated I wanted a month to visit my family in Nor Cal n Michigan n to relax, plus as I mentioned I moved back home and paid for my own schooling and have been will be working all my life and even if I had been looking it doesnt mean you land something

I know your not being personal but I will put my work ethic next to yours any day of the week bub lol I guess I should of mentioned I have about 3 years of work experience in sales, customer service, prop mgmt, and a little marketing as well I was a returning student
it may have been smarter to take out a few small loans so you could focus on your schooling and career search more. or you could have looked into schools that would provide you with (more) need-based or merit aid. working hard isn't always the best route. you have to work "smart", too. i'm not perfect, either. i slacked off a lot after graduating and paid the price. just saying. its moot to preach to you about it now but could be useful advice to others. its kinda pointless to pay so much for school when you're not going to take advantage of the opportunities the school provides you.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Ever thought of joining the military.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM

114 posts, read 239,807 times
Quote:
it may have been smarter to take out a few small loans so you could focus on your schooling and career search more. or you could have looked into schools that would provide you with (more) need-based or merit aid. working hard isn't always the best route. you have to work "smart", too. i'm not perfect, either. i slacked off a lot after graduating and paid the price. just saying. its moot to preach to you about it now but could be useful advice to others. its kinda pointless to pay so much for school when you're not going to take advantage of the opportunities the school provides you.

Ya I hear ya loud and clear good advice, everyones situation is different but in principle I of course agree

Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Ever thought of joining the military.
I tried that. The recruiter said no. I broke my spine 4 years ago. I tried the military because I was desperate for a job. I was told absolutely NO. I'm considered a liability because I broke my spine some time ago. It's a miracle that I can walk and move around as before.

In fact, this whole college experience was complicated by that major health problem. I had two stints at college. The first one marked with the shock of dealing with being out on my own, some behavior issues, still reeling from the crap that happened to me in high school, and then I broke my spine. I was out of school for a year. I went back, determined to not slip again, and I made it out, with my degree. After all that hard work, struggling with so much, sometimes I feel cheated.

I actually mentioned on this thread that the military won't take me because of my health history.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM

One thing I did was apply to as many Environmental Consulting firms as I could find. So far, no one seems interested. Basically a list of rejection emails and no call-backs for interviews.

The original reason for setting up this thread is because I was wondering if anyone knew of any places that were looking for people like me with GIS skills. Part of it was to thwart having to go back and live at my parents house again. Now I am living there.

I questioned being stuck. I thought of something this morning. In my family, I have one member working out of state, so he has the car. That leaves only one car left. Since school has started for my sister, and she also has a job, that basically means I'm LITERALLY stuck at home, and everything my sister needs is opposite the direction I'm trying to get to. Even my mother isn't always going to use the car. I barely know how to drive. I've never driven on expressways because I was often to scared to drive. Part of the reason I wanted to live within a mile of everything I needed. Almost impossible in suburban Atlanta. Now that such a task is basically impossible, I have to come up with another plan.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It is not "normal" behavior to HAVE to move back with your parents after college It's a situation about half of college graduates have been put in by this economy for at least a couple years. Some have always chosen to move back home to save money even when they had jobs.
I had to give this post some thought, as I didn't know what I was going to say before. Today, however, a trip to facebook decided that for me.

I went on facebook and I saw statuses of people I know who at their first day back at school. It made me realize I'm no longer in college. I was seeing other people, who were my age or somewhat older, who are married and have children of their own. Some of these people were kids I went to school with, and some of them are now having lives of their own, with or without college, and alot of my classmates didn't go to college. Most of them that I know aren't living with their parents. They are getting on with their lives, some even have children, I know a few who have children who are starting kindergarten or 1st grade, somewhere around that age. A few days ago, I ran into a woman I went to school with. She is around 28 years old, and I saw here walking around with 2 boys who appeared to be between the ages of 8 and 10. Of course I would have no aspirations of being a teen father. However, I was embarrassed to tell her what had gone on in my life.

What does this have to do with your post? I don't know anyone from my graduating class, or from a few years before in the same situation as me. I went to college so I wouldn't have such a life. Now I'm back at home, and I notice some people are more ahead than I am. I don't feel normal. I know people who are starting their own family, or have started their own families, who are owning their own homes. Their ability to own a home, and to take care of someone else. Seeing that and then seeing that I'm 26, living with my parents, jobless, and I can't really take care of myself, makes me wonder about myself.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 AM

131 posts, read 323,535 times
For God's sake, stop being so hard on yourself. You did the best that you could do by going to school and getting an education. Things have changed, unfortunately. Graduates can't find jobs. Take the time to have a full fledged pity party and STOP. Then focus on doing something about it. Sending you some PMs for freelancing work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search