U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,017,531 times
Reputation: 2542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
She said the company called her and were "very angry" that she referred me to them when I was looking other places. Like I'm going to only apply at one place in my job search. That maybe indicates I made the correct choice.
Thats pretty funny, they probably interviewed several candidates, if not dozens, but expect to be the only feather in your cap?

Corporate America never ceases to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,628,241 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously I'm missing something.

"The OP isn't currently unemployed".
To make it simpler: The OP is not currently unemployed.
Ergo: The OP is currently employed.
To further clarify: The OP is not currently unemployed because he is employed.

Read before you leap.
Thats why using double negatives is poor grammar.

Literacy Education
A double negative is the nonstandard usage of two negatives used in the same sentence so that they cancel each other and create a positive. In Shakespeare's day, double negatives were considered emphatic, but today, they are considered grammar mistakes.

but, yes, you didn't really make a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,658,637 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Thats why using double negatives is poor grammar.

Literacy Education
A double negative is the nonstandard usage of two negatives used in the same sentence so that they cancel each other and create a positive. In Shakespeare's day, double negatives were considered emphatic, but today, they are considered grammar mistakes.

but, yes, you didn't really make a mistake.
That poster didn't really use a double negative. Unemployed is an adjective describing a person. To say that a person "isn't unemployed" makes perfect grammatical sense.

OTOH, a sentence like "I don't want none of that" is a double negative, because it implies that since you don't want "none" of that, you might want some of that. It impacts the meaning of the sentence entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,628,241 times
Reputation: 3211
in - un - non
adding a negative before a word with one of these prefixes is understood to neutralize the negative and create a positive. These particular examples of the double negative construction, separate from those above, are considered to be a literary trope called litotes. In litotes, one uses a double negative to understate an affirmative. Here are some examples:

I receive a not insufficient allowance. → I receive a sufficient allowance.
That person is not unfamiliar to me. → That person is familiar to me.
This essay is clearly not nonsense. → This essay is clearly sensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,430,951 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Thats why using double negatives is poor grammar.

but, yes, you didn't really make a mistake.
but, no, I didn't really make no mistake (or is that, "yes, I didn't really make no mistake"?)
but I seen where you mightn't have not got confused

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
 
1,804 posts, read 7,006,608 times
Reputation: 997
Well one thing is for certain. I now have a better grasp on grammar should I ever again say "I cannot not decline this offer due to my not being unemployed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM
 
607 posts, read 1,169,473 times
Reputation: 1094
Big deal. Companies screw employees all the time. Their just getting a taste of their own medicine. No need to be so hard on yourself. You need to do what's right for you, not them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,430,951 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
in - un - non
adding a negative before a word with one of these prefixes is understood to neutralize the negative and create a positive. These particular examples of the double negative construction, separate from those above, are considered to be a literary trope called litotes. In litotes, one uses a double negative to understate an affirmative. Here are some examples:

I receive a not insufficient allowance. → I receive a sufficient allowance.
That person is not unfamiliar to me. → That person is familiar to me.
This essay is clearly not nonsense. → This essay is clearly sensible.
The examples you cite above aren't representative of poor grammar. The "translations" you offer completely alter the original. Your English grammar lessons were no doubt given from an American perspective. With all due respect, the teaching of American English (both language and literature) often fails to recognize the peculiar nuances of the language and strips it down to basics.

Sorry, off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,628,241 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The examples you cite above aren't representative of poor grammar. The "translations" you offer completely alter the original. Your English grammar lessons were no doubt given from an American perspective. With all due respect, the teaching of American English (both language and literature) often fails to recognize the peculiar nuances of the language and strips it down to basics.

Sorry, off topic.

Guess what, Im AMERICAN, BORN AND BRED, DAMN PROUD OF IT!! THIS IS ENGLISH, YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO BAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 AM
 
16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
Reputation: 26200
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
On Monday I was offered a job. I had questions about the culture and the benefits. I got verbal answers to those, but did not see the official benefits until yesterday morning. The health insurance cost and benefits were somewhat worse than I expected, but not a complete deal breaker. I also had this nagging concern about the culture and overtime expectations. But because of the 24 hour deadline, I agreed.

Then today I got a confirmation for a third job interview that fits much more with my career aspirations. So with the above variables in mind, I called up the company and told them I had to withdraw my acceptance. They sounded somewhat irritated but were generally gracious.

The part of me that wants to justify my actions is that they only gave me 24 hours to decide and I didn't see the official benefits data until yesterday.

The part of me that feels like an unethical scumbag is that I knew all along I wanted this other job more, but accepted anyway. Of course I don't even have the other job yet.

I shouldn't have accepted. I have messed up their hiring process, and I feel like I really screwed up by doing that. Plus I hate burning bridges.
Don't feel too badly, they should have given you the package information w/ the job offer so that you could make an informed decision...it would have been worse to quit after you took this new one. Good luck w/ your interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top