Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,164,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
She said the company called her and were "very angry" that she referred me to them when I was looking other places. Like I'm going to only apply at one place in my job search. That maybe indicates I made the correct choice.
Thats pretty funny, they probably interviewed several candidates, if not dozens, but expect to be the only feather in your cap?

Corporate America never ceases to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,801,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously I'm missing something.

"The OP isn't currently unemployed".
To make it simpler: The OP is not currently unemployed.
Ergo: The OP is currently employed.
To further clarify: The OP is not currently unemployed because he is employed.

Read before you leap.
Thats why using double negatives is poor grammar.

Literacy Education
A double negative is the nonstandard usage of two negatives used in the same sentence so that they cancel each other and create a positive. In Shakespeare's day, double negatives were considered emphatic, but today, they are considered grammar mistakes.

but, yes, you didn't really make a mistake.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,418,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post

Literacy Education
A double negative is the nonstandard usage of two negatives used in the same sentence so that they cancel each other and create a positive. In Shakespeare's day, double negatives were considered emphatic, but today, they are considered grammar mistakes.

That poster didn't really use a double negative. Unemployed is an adjective describing a person. To say that a person "isn't unemployed" makes perfect grammatical sense.

OTOH, a sentence like "I don't want none of that" is a double negative, because it implies that since you don't want "none" of that, you might want some of that. It impacts the meaning of the sentence entirely.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM

in - un - non
adding a negative before a word with one of these prefixes is understood to neutralize the negative and create a positive. These particular examples of the double negative construction, separate from those above, are considered to be a literary trope called litotes. In litotes, one uses a double negative to understate an affirmative. Here are some examples:

I receive a not insufficient allowance. → I receive a sufficient allowance.
That person is not unfamiliar to me. → That person is familiar to me.
This essay is clearly not nonsense. → This essay is clearly sensible.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,448,978 times
Quote:

but, no, I didn't really make no mistake (or is that, "yes, I didn't really make no mistake"?)
but I seen where you mightn't have not got confused

Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,711,223 times
Well one thing is for certain. I now have a better grasp on grammar should I ever again say "I cannot not decline this offer due to my not being unemployed."

Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 PM

607 posts, read 1,388,479 times
Big deal. Companies screw employees all the time. Their just getting a taste of their own medicine. No need to be so hard on yourself. You need to do what's right for you, not them.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,448,978 times
Quote:
in - un - non
adding a negative before a word with one of these prefixes is understood to neutralize the negative and create a positive. These particular examples of the double negative construction, separate from those above, are considered to be a literary trope called litotes. In litotes, one uses a double negative to understate an affirmative. Here are some examples:

I receive a not insufficient allowance. → I receive a sufficient allowance.
That person is not unfamiliar to me. → That person is familiar to me.
This essay is clearly not nonsense. → This essay is clearly sensible.
The examples you cite above aren't representative of poor grammar. The "translations" you offer completely alter the original. Your English grammar lessons were no doubt given from an American perspective. With all due respect, the teaching of American English (both language and literature) often fails to recognize the peculiar nuances of the language and strips it down to basics.

Sorry, off topic.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The examples you cite above aren't representative of poor grammar. The "translations" you offer completely alter the original. Your English grammar lessons were no doubt given from an American perspective. With all due respect, the teaching of American English (both language and literature) often fails to recognize the peculiar nuances of the language and strips it down to basics.

Sorry, off topic.

Guess what, Im AMERICAN, BORN AND BRED, DAMN PROUD OF IT!! THIS IS ENGLISH, YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO BAD.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,083,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
On Monday I was offered a job. I had questions about the culture and the benefits. I got verbal answers to those, but did not see the official benefits until yesterday morning. The health insurance cost and benefits were somewhat worse than I expected, but not a complete deal breaker. I also had this nagging concern about the culture and overtime expectations. But because of the 24 hour deadline, I agreed.

Then today I got a confirmation for a third job interview that fits much more with my career aspirations. So with the above variables in mind, I called up the company and told them I had to withdraw my acceptance. They sounded somewhat irritated but were generally gracious.

The part of me that wants to justify my actions is that they only gave me 24 hours to decide and I didn't see the official benefits data until yesterday.

The part of me that feels like an unethical scumbag is that I knew all along I wanted this other job more, but accepted anyway. Of course I don't even have the other job yet.

I shouldn't have accepted. I have messed up their hiring process, and I feel like I really screwed up by doing that. Plus I hate burning bridges.
Don't feel too badly, they should have given you the package information w/ the job offer so that you could make an informed decision...it would have been worse to quit after you took this new one. Good luck w/ your interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search