U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM

16,023 posts, read 19,731,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
It could be a mistake. However ... I am still employed. And I couldn't get over some nagging doubts with the other company.
That is your gut instinct....listen to it every time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,629,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I do currently have a job, so it's not like I'm left hanging with no options should this second fail (there is even a third job potentially in the wings ... they have invited me to fly down to meet with them after 2 phone interviews).

I think it would have been much more unethical to continue down the process with company #2 knowing that Company #1 was thinking I was going to start in less than 2 weeks.

As for the health insurance and other benefits ... there was no 401k matching. Not a deal breaker, but not great. They said on the phone there were 3 health plans to choose from but the guy did not have exact pricing.

When I did get to see the details on Wednesday:
-- Plan A was a PPO with a $5,000 deductible per family member for $370 a month.
-- Plan B was a PPO with a $2,500 deductible per family member for $650 a month.
-- Plan C was an HSA with a $2,750 deductible per family member for $550 a month.

Plus there was a 90-day waiting period before I would even be eligible, meaning COBRA expenses for three months.

I thought my current PPO plan with a $1,500 deductible per person for $500 a month wasn't really very good. Maybe I am wrong, and all the above plans are just what are standard today.

Something else about the offer that was bothersome was that I would actually have gone backward in salary about 10%, with the potential for a 15% bonus if I performed well. So yes, the upside was slightly higher, but the downside was lower. Again, I should have decided this before accepting, but after I did, it just didn't sit well with me.
EEEKKKK

I am PPO with no deductible and pay 260/month.

Those are really bad

Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously I'm missing something.

"The OP isn't currently unemployed".
To make it simpler: The OP is not currently unemployed.
Ergo: The OP is currently employed.
To further clarify: The OP is not currently unemployed because he is employed.

Read before you leap.
Won't let me rep you again, so thanks for the chuckle

Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,011,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
EEEKKKK

I am PPO with no deductible and pay 260/month.

Those are really bad
The rates I quoted are for a family. Is yours a family plan? Even so, I think those rates are terrible. The high monthly cost plus the deductible is a killer. Especially because we have kids and kids tend to need a lot of visits.

I came from government and government contracting. So insurance there was excellent. I don't yest have a grasp on what private sector insurance is typically.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:19 PM

No, but it is for me and my fiance. As we live together and are getting married soon, the new job allowed us to do this. So, while not for kids and family, it is more than just the single plan. And no deductible. Also, $200 max out of pocket (its really good)

Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM

994 posts, read 889,279 times
First of all, I admire your concerns but you are being to hard on yourself. You have to do what is best for you. You did that. Good for you.

There is a lesson to be learned, a business hires an employee based on a need, not because the business feels charitable to give someone a job. Said business would have no problem laying someone off if need be.

You did the right thing. Move on

Old 08-04-2012, 05:58 PM

65 posts, read 134,148 times
I think you did what you needed to do and acted in your own best interests. You shouldn't feel bad about backing out of an accepted offer that you were already feeling wrong about. I think you did the right thing by following your gut! You have a job right now and have the capability to continue looking without a strain on your finances, should the company you are planning to interview for falls through. Don't be so hard on yourself.

That said, I understand how you are feeling. I accepted a job last Tuesday, while waiting for the job I really want to call me back. I had a good feeling about the second company, and it was the place I really wanted to work for, so I was very anxious to accept the offer with the first company, knowing that I might back out if contacted by the second company. Thankfully (?) I haven't heard back from the second company. I was a little heartbroken at first, but mostly happy that I didn't have to back out of accepting the job. However, I was unemployed before signing on with the company, so my circumstances are a little different.

Regardless, you have to do what is best for you- especially in this economy! Best of luck to you as you continue your search.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:17 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
Next time make sure you see the benfits before taking a offer.kind of suspicious when it was not part of listing of compensation ;myself or that you did enquire. Perhpas tell them that it was the benefits revealed late that made you chnage your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or