U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 PM

241 posts, read 884,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
This is a perfect example why you need a skill in today's age.
Even with good skill sets, employers have a very narrow experience required mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,095,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"Sure, the job didn’t exist, and you might protest, “But Eric, how cruel of you to lead all these people on!” Then I thought of the mountain range of jobs to which I had applied in the last few weeks, followed by the complete lack of correspondence from these potential employers, and then I didn’t feel so bad."

I agree, what he did was reprehensible.
When people apply to 10-30 jobs a day, it's not really leading them on, it's just another job they're mechanically applying to, which, through Craigslist, doesn't take too long.

I was against this concept the last time this idea was posted, but now I'm thinking this may be a good way to check out my competition.
I don't think I'd do it though.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Consider the person you're responding to.
Indeed... typical failure to address the actual problem - the lack of jobs - and instead attacking the messenger... Nice to see we also have random accusations that "all unemployed people are unskilled" on this thread. Amazing how hard some people cling to baseless, spiteful beliefs.

Companies post fake jobs all the time. Don't expect me to believe that it takes them 1 to 2 years to hire an engineer for a basic position that they claim to "need now!" That's bull - they aren't hiring. All they are doing is windowshopping, and they have no problem with getting a person's hopes up, inviting them in for an interview that lasts hours, praising them on their abilities, giving them a whole tour of the place and showing them where they will be working, and then cutting them off a week later and pretending the interview never happened. At least this fake job posting was done to gather some useful data vs. just to keep HR busy or let a bunch of manager go on a power-trip and lord over some luckless unemployed person.

The reality is that there are nowhere near enough jobs, and nobody in power (from either party) has a solution or even cares because a collapse of the American economy won't affect them.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,156,802 times
And what is the point supposed to be? Even during "good" times you'd probably get a lot of bites.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,048,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
And what is the point supposed to be? Even during "good" times you'd probably get a lot of bites.
I agree. I've done this before but by accident. Years ago when the economy was good, I had posted an ad on Craigslist for someone to write a small program that I needed. I was offering to pay a few hundred bucks for it. What surprised me was not only the amount of responses I got, but the number of very serious applications with full cover letters and resumes with years of IT experience. What I needed was just a one-off program that may have taken a couple of hours but people applied like it was a full time job.

Anyway, I don't think this "research" is the most horrible thing to do but he is wasting people's time. The outcome is already very obvious and if I were looking for jobs, the last thing I need is for some bored individual on the other end collecting my personal data for his personal amusement.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM

930 posts, read 1,642,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
the last thing I need is for some bored individual on the other end collecting my personal data for his personal amusement.
No, its legit because other people do it. Get a grip.

Looks like fun. I think I'll create a few here soon, and let yall know how it goes.....

Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Indeed... typical failure to address the actual problem - the lack of jobs - and instead attacking the messenger... Nice to see we also have random accusations that "all unemployed people are unskilled" on this thread. Amazing how hard some people cling to baseless, spiteful beliefs.

Companies post fake jobs all the time. Don't expect me to believe that it takes them 1 to 2 years to hire an engineer for a basic position that they claim to "need now!" That's bull - they aren't hiring. All they are doing is windowshopping, and they have no problem with getting a person's hopes up, inviting them in for an interview that lasts hours, praising them on their abilities, giving them a whole tour of the place and showing them where they will be working, and then cutting them off a week later and pretending the interview never happened. At least this fake job posting was done to gather some useful data vs. just to keep HR busy or let a bunch of manager go on a power-trip and lord over some luckless unemployed person.

The reality is that there are nowhere near enough jobs, and nobody in power (from either party) has a solution or even cares because a collapse of the American economy won't affect them.
I agree with you and will give you a prime example of this. I always see this instructor job constantly on careerbuilder posted by this certain company since the end of June. So does this mean that the students in class sitting there waiting for the company to hire someone so they can start learning?LOL

Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I agree. I've done this before but by accident. Years ago when the economy was good, I had posted an ad on Craigslist for someone to write a small program that I needed. I was offering to pay a few hundred bucks for it. What surprised me was not only the amount of responses I got, but the number of very serious applications with full cover letters and resumes with years of IT experience. What I needed was just a one-off program that may have taken a couple of hours but people applied like it was a full time job.

Anyway, I don't think this "research" is the most horrible thing to do but he is wasting people's time. The outcome is already very obvious and if I were looking for jobs, the last thing I need is for some bored individual on the other end collecting my personal data for his personal amusement.

When it comes to a job posting on CL, if it has no company name and a person to email my resume to then I don't send a resume. Instead I send a career summary with my name and number without my address.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,931,300 times
Default Even Worse!

I read the article. TY to the OP for posting this thread!

So, even worse ... the CL he posted to was New York City.

Here is his fake ad:

Quote:
Administrative Assistant needed for busy Midtown office. Hours are Monday through Friday, nine to five. Job duties include: filing, copying, answering phones, sending e-mails, greeting clients, scheduling appointments. Previous experience in an office setting preferred, but will train the right candidate. This is a full-time position with health benefits. Please e-mail résumé if interested. Compensation: $12-$13 per hour.
The compensation is nowhere near enough to LIVE in NYC ... even with roomies that doesn't cut it ... unless you live with mom and dad (or in a cardboard refrigerator box).

But all those people answered anyway and, according to the article, some had MANY years of experience.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:26 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,912,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I read the article. TY to the OP for posting this thread!

So, even worse ... the CL he posted to was New York City.

Here is his fake ad:

The compensation is nowhere near enough to LIVE in NYC ... even with roomies that doesn't cut it ... unless you live with mom and dad (or in a cardboard refrigerator box).

But all those people answered anyway and, according to the article, some had MANY years of experience.
The fact that the wage was posted at $12-$13/hr really speaks volume on how bad it really is out there for nearly 700+ to apply for a job in one day.

Adjusted for cost of living, that's lower than minimum wage in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search