U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago
4,791 posts, read 13,211,352 times
Reputation: 1944

Advertisements

NYC has a population of about 8.25 million people, so it's a big given that a lot of people will apply to a job ad. Try this same job in Indianapolis and you won't get that many people. And I've done job search ads on Monster and Careerbuilder for Indianapolis jobs and there aren't many, - compared to Chicago.

Chicago has a population of 4.75 million. When I applied to a tech writer job at Cummins - Alison I was 1 of 10 to interview among 221 resumes. They didn't invite me to a 2nd interview because my salary request of $48,000 / year of TOO MUCH FOR THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
 
29 posts, read 39,684 times
Reputation: 81
How hard is it to email a resume? Lets say the applicant took the liberty to even write up a brief paragraph or two about how their skills relate to the open position/fake ad. That is still head and shoulders better than filling out some applications these real companies put you through for the same result. He maybe wasted a minute of their time. Real companies waste your time and money, have you feeling out unicru personality tests and driving to interviews that turn up nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
 
230 posts, read 461,704 times
Reputation: 94
Despite my desperate attempts to find work, I never, ever used Craigslist and I never will. I'd rather apply on a reputable job search website or a company's internal website.

As much as we're desperate, we need to look to trusted sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM
 
230 posts, read 461,704 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
How hard is it to email a resume? Lets say the applicant took the liberty to even write up a brief paragraph or two about how their skills relate to the open position/fake ad. That is still head and shoulders better than filling out some applications these real companies put you through for the same result. He maybe wasted a minute of their time. Real companies waste your time and money, have you feeling out unicru personality tests and driving to interviews that turn up nothing.
I figure it's better to apply at a real company and go for the interview if scheduled. Even if you don't get the job, at least the experience can prepare you for the next interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
Despite my desperate attempts to find work, I never, ever used Craigslist and I never will. I'd rather apply on a reputable job search website or a company's internal website.

As much as we're desperate, we need to look to trusted sources.
You have a better chance of getting a interview going to craigslist than applying to a job on a company website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
 
230 posts, read 461,704 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You have a better chance of getting a interview going to craigslist than applying to a job on a company website
If anything, I'm not comfortable giving out personal information to email addresses on Craigslist unless I believe everything's legit. Last thing any of us need is to have our identities stolen, I figure it's better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,902,566 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
If anything, I'm not comfortable giving out personal information to email addresses on Craigslist unless I believe everything's legit. Last thing any of us need is to have our identities stolen, I figure it's better safe than sorry.
It's pretty difficult for anyone to steal your identity if they don't have your SS number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
If anything, I'm not comfortable giving out personal information to email addresses on Craigslist unless I believe everything's legit. Last thing any of us need is to have our identities stolen, I figure it's better safe than sorry.
You are only supposed to send your resume if the job posting includes

Company ABC and for you to send your resume to jdoe@abc.com


Other than that it's no need to send a resume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,269 posts, read 18,911,465 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
If anything, I'm not comfortable giving out personal information to email addresses on Craigslist unless I believe everything's legit. Last thing any of us need is to have our identities stolen, I figure it's better safe than sorry.
I have a special resume and email address for CL submissions. I don't include my phone number either. If they can't contact me by email it isn't a legitimate posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,764 posts, read 16,845,978 times
Reputation: 26307
Some of you are branding this guy like he's some sort of hero. If I had applied to a job, sent in my resume and found out later it was some ******* conducting an experiment, I would be pissed.

He has NO RIGHT to anyone's resume yet he got hundreds. THAT is what makes this so very wrong.

I know companies do this all of the time, that does not excuse what he did. He is not a company. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top