Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
who employ paper pushers.

Nice try.

You got here before I did. I was DYING to ask exactly who worked in the outsourcing firms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
All the points made in the OP seem like common sense. Is the HR recruiter in a professional setting? If so, that doesn't really say much for the quality of applicants they are getting. At any rate, people should take heed of the advice if they aren't already doing so. These are simple things to remember, folks.
Thanks.

And they are common sense, but easily missed.

Today I called an office looking for the person's reference...they quit 2 years ago.

On another, they had a wrong number listed for the employer. I googled it, just out of curiosity. Found the number. If I can do this, why can't they???? They are the ones who want the job, you would think they would work really hard to make sure once their application and references are sitting in front of a live person (me) they would have all the info correct.

People complain about the screeners. Well, this is a mistake that is going to take these people out of the running that is TOTALLY within their control.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
A fewer number of them for half the cost, assuming the jobs haven't been outsourced to Asia, Central or South America.

Your move.
Asians, Central Americans, and South Americans are still people. So outsourced or not, still employing paper pushers.

You really do just lurk and wait to pounce on anything that either is negative or that you think you can turn negative. You must be fun at holidays.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The answer someone gives to that question can be very telling about their personality, how they'll fit into the corporate culture, and how suitable they are for the job they've applied for.

If I was hiring a sales executive I wouldn't want to hear that they'd like to be a sloth or a kitten, I want them to tell me that they'd want to be a tiger or a pit bull.

If I was hiring a teacher I'd want them to say a collie.

Etc.
It's stuff like this that convinced me I needed to become self-employed, and for that, I have folks in HR, recruiters, and temp services to thank.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
ADP has a giant US headcount, and their clients still employ payroll paper pushers.
HR's jobs were outsourced to these places in the first place because they were a waste for businesses to dedicate an entire department. The wages are now half of what they were when they were hired into businesses with an HR department, because they're just not that important and expendable.

As technology continues to progress, you will see fewer and fewer of these paper pushers.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
HR's jobs were outsourced to these places in the first place because they were a waste for businesses to dedicate an entire department. The wages are now half of what they were when they were hired into businesses with an HR department, because they're just not that important and expendable.

As technology continues to progress, you will see fewer and fewer of these paper pushers.
So you are showing some of your ignorance again.

The low level and low wage data entry folks who were doing things like keying in W4s, timesheets are for the most part have been replaced in mid-size to larger organizations with technology, cheap offshore resources, cheap onshore resources in other parts of the country. These were the folks that you may call paper pushers but they are not who you are bitter about and obviously wish for some demise.

But organizations are retaining highly skilled HR and Payroll folks to make sense out of the integration with multiple technology resources.

I know more than a few professionals in the sector who make from the low 70s to even mid six figures. The industry is so complex, so in dire need of skillsets that the folks I know in it (and myself included in the past) rarely lack for a job or a place to bounce to if they decide they do not fit in in one organization. If you are decent then you often have a long lived and pretty rewarding career that is also financially lucrative.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
ADP and Paychex as is just don't have sustainable models. They're destined to fail, as they're way too bureaucratic, which is to be expected with gigantic Human Resources businesses. Eventually, their clients will instead opt to hire a skeleton crew of HR personnel and cancel their ADP services, where they can have more control over what takes place. Either that, or the management of these companies will just take over the HR responsibilities (more likely).

The customer reviews say it all. Even if folks consider their payroll processing "tolerable", but they're awful at handling benefits and then there's a screw up Customer Service is terrible.

ADP customer service complaints, reviews, ratings and comments

Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
From my experience today. I conducted two interviews. Both interviews terrible, however one takes the cake. The person did not stand up to shake my hand, she could not answer two questions and had no follow up questions. In the end she had the nerve to clarify start dates.

Turns out, she was a referral. I think she felt she was just going to coast through.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Sorry about that. Those interviews are SO HARD to make it through as you find yourself mentally thinking of all the email you could clear if you could just end the interview.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The answer someone gives to that question can be very telling about their personality, how they'll fit into the corporate culture, and how suitable they are for the job they've applied for.

If I was hiring a sales executive I wouldn't want to hear that they'd like to be a sloth or a kitten, I want them to tell me that they'd want to be a tiger or a pit bull.

If I was hiring a teacher I'd want them to say a collie.

Etc.
Is this a joke? Please tell me you don't actually use this question. I am embarrassed for the field when I hear people tell stories of interview questions like this.

Part of the entire selection process is ensuring that candidates see the questions as relevant to the position they are applying for. How are questions like that at all relevant?

How about a question like this...."tell me about a time you had to convince your boss to take a different direction on a project. How did you approach it? What was his/her reaction?"

Do you see the difference in those questions? Influencing others is an important part of almost every job.

Which one of those questions do you think will provide more reliable and valid responses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search