Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do any of you HR people actually ask that question about what animal would you be and why?

I've been thinking about that and I guess I would fail your interview because honestly, I would be a little incredulous that I was asked that question.

My first thought would be, "How on earth does this apply to this job?" My second thought would be that the interviewer was kidding. I'd probably start laughing...until I saw they weren't laughing. Then I'd go back to incredulous.

This is the kind of question you get when you to a psychologist, not a job interview!
Reminds of me Barbara Walters asking celebrities what kind of tree they would be. I always thought that was the dumbest question ever and never cared about what the answer was.

We should all pay attention when we interview with a company. Sometimes, there are red flags that simply should not be ignored. (Unless one is totally desperate for any job). I know I've overlooked many a red flag and regretted it later.

Interviewing is a two-way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Agreed. Your reasoning is why I have never used the Happy Birthday thing. I feel it is embarrassing and that there are other more effective ways to get the same information. Interviews are tough for people, no reason to make it worse.
Would the animal question be considered discriminatory or something? Wouldn't be better to frame it like "In your line of profession, which CEO would you want to be?"

Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Would the animal question be considered discriminatory or something? Wouldn't be better to frame it like "In your line of profession, which CEO would you want to be?"
How could the animal question be discriminatory?

The CEO question might not be relevant in all industries. In mine it isn't.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
OK here's a question for you HR interviewers: I was once given a piece of paper in an interview and asked to fold a paper airplane. What was that all about? Position was callcenter middle management, so no particular dexterity needed. I am thinking it was multi-tasking, as they kept asking me the usual behavioural questions while I folded.

I was also offered a very nice glass of Scotch once, which I declined of course- that was a rather obvious trap

Old 08-11-2012, 02:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
OK here's a question for you HR interviewers: I was once given a piece of paper in an interview and asked to fold a paper airplane. What was that all about? Position was callcenter middle management, so no particular dexterity needed. I am thinking it was multi-tasking, as they kept asking me the usual behavioural questions while I folded.

I was also offered a very nice glass of Scotch once, which I declined of course- that was a rather obvious trap
More useless nonsense that gives people who actually want to hire someone a bad name.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I agree with annerk. No clue on the paper airplane one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search