U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM

930 posts, read 1,641,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You've got to be kidding. That did not happen....right?

It did. I remember reading about that here on C-D...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 AM

2,953 posts, read 8,631,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Payroll is becoming increasingly automated now, or outsourced to Payroll companies.

But nice try.

Nice try for you. Unfortunately you have shown your inability to comprehend what it takes to run a business. Purchasing, sales, HR, Accounting. If it werent for all these lowly paper pushers, businesses would lose money, left and right, not get paid, not sale, not purchase. and so on. Please, try to think before you speak. Your indadequacies are glaringly ridiculous.

But, nice try...

Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I use this one too. I want to see how they answer it and if they seem thrown by the asking of the question.

I have learned some impressive things...and not sure I have ever had anyone say "sloth" LOL

But, from one person in HR to another, I have to ask...have you? LOL
I'm not in HR, just a hiring manager. And no, I haven't, but I think I'd fall off my chair laughing if I did.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM

930 posts, read 1,641,691 times
Quote:
Do you ever say anything positive or do you just read through threads waiting to pounce on the things that you feel work toward your amazingly negative view?

Everything works toward his amazingly negative view.

Actually, I'd be encouraged by your tale. If I'm looking for work, those are some of the many clueless applicants that have removed themselves from competition before it has even begun.

But then, maybe I have an amazingly positive view.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,620,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not in HR, just a hiring manager. And no, I haven't, but I think I'd fall off my chair laughing if I did.
Me too.

And hiring manager is HR. Maybe not with the title, but it IS HR.

My best was the guy who asked if we would have issue with his 3 violent felonies. Said they would not show up on a background because the case was dropped before trial. Then said, "Which is good as I was guilty" Ummmmm........

Managed to keep a straight face. Somehow.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,620,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Everything works toward his amazingly negative view.

Actually, I'd be encouraged by your tale. If I'm looking for work, those are some of the many clueless applicants that have removed themselves from competition before it has even begun.

But then, maybe I have an amazingly positive view.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,877,114 times
Quote:
Sorry about that. Those interviews are SO HARD to make it through as you find yourself mentally thinking of all the email you could clear if you could just end the interview.

Actually yes, since the phone in my pocket was like a vibrator going on overdrive.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,520,445 times
Alright. I do have sympathy for you, but only halfway. While there are a lot of stupid candidates who can't follow the directions or who ignore protocol, consider the vast number who do work hard and send customized resumes and cover letters and still get rejected.

Remember, part of being in HR is dealing with dumb applicants. It's like in retail; while it's not explicitly in the job duties that you'll have to deal with rude or stupid customers, eventually you're going to have to do just that. It sucks, but that's part of the job.

Also, HR should always maintain basic courtesy, even if some of the applicants do not. Honestly, if you are using an Applicant Tracking System, there should be no excuse to NOT send rejection e-mails to candidates who weren't selected.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM

22,774 posts, read 16,850,253 times
Do any of you HR people actually ask that question about what animal would you be and why?

I've been thinking about that and I guess I would fail your interview because honestly, I would be a little incredulous that I was asked that question.

My first thought would be, "How on earth does this apply to this job?" My second thought would be that the interviewer was kidding. I'd probably start laughing...until I saw they weren't laughing. Then I'd go back to incredulous.

This is the kind of question you get when you to a psychologist, not a job interview!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do any of you HR people actually ask that question about what animal would you be and why?

I've been thinking about that and I guess I would fail your interview because honestly, I would be a little incredulous that I was asked that question.

My first thought would be, "How on earth does this apply to this job?" My second thought would be that the interviewer was kidding. I'd probably start laughing...until I saw they weren't laughing. Then I'd go back to incredulous.

This is the kind of question you get when you to a psychologist, not a job interview!
I've never asked that question. I've asked the following:

Tell me about yourself. (If you don't have a 30 second speech ready to answer this question, you've failed. Frankly I don't care if you want to talk about how you type 120 words a minute or like to play with your dog on the weekend, I just want to hear you talk to me in a way that engages me so that I actually want to hear what you have to say. That said, it's a great time to bullet point two or three major accomplishments--"I graduated in the top 2% of my class at Vassar. After graduation I accepted an internship with a company in Shanghai that is the largest producer of widgets in the world where I worked on a systems integration project. At my current employer I developed a system that streamlined production to increase output by 30% with less than 1% in additional cost. I run a couple of half marathons every year and I love to cook. I'm looking for a new position that offers more opportunity for long term advancement as my current employer is a small company with limited growth opportunity.")

Give me an example of how you took a bad situation at a former job and turned it around to have a positive outcome. This could be a situation with a customer, coworker, or vendor. (This gives insight into problem solving abilities)

Why do you want this job?

Talk to me about how you think your prior experience with XYZ Company would be helpful if I were to hire you. (I usually hire people with experience in the job description but not in my industry. This just gives me a lot of insight into their personality and analytical ability.)

If I were to speak with your co-workers, what would they tell me your biggest weaknesses are?

If you had to participate in a team building exercise but could choose between them, which one would you select and why?
A. Skydiving B. Building a house for Habitat For Humanity C. Working in a Soup Kitchen for a day D. Singing in an office wide Karaoke contest (This tells me if someone is a risk taker and depending on their reason for their response can shed light onto how much of a team player they are.)

If a customer or colleague made a racist or sexually inappropriate comment to you, how would you react?

I've got plenty of others, but these are almost always included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search