U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,381,040 times
Reputation: 334

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Buy a book on interviewing. All the questions you'd be asked for an entry level job are in there plus some.

And really, entry level questions are not tough.
because most job interview books i've seen, read through, have job interview questions for professional career-type jobs, i don't see any questions in there that they would ask for a minimum-wage entry-level service job in customer-service, retail, fast-food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
because most job interview books i've seen, read through, have job interview questions for professional career-type jobs, i don't see any questions in there that they would ask for a minimum-wage entry-level service job in customer-service, retail, fast-food
Many are going to be the same for either type of job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,381,040 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Many are going to be the same for either type of job.
any specific titles, names of certain job interview question books that are the best, highest-selling, recommended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Reputation: 3129
[quote=Gatsby1925;25572379]Alright. I do have sympathy for you, but only halfway. While there are a lot of stupid candidates who can't follow the directions or who ignore protocol, consider the vast number who do work hard and send customized resumes and cover letters and still get rejected.

Remember, part of being in HR is dealing with dumb applicants. It's like in retail; while it's not explicitly in the job duties that you'll have to deal with rude or stupid customers, eventually you're going to have to do just that. It sucks, but that's part of the job.

Also, HR should always maintain basic courtesy, even if some of the applicants do not. Honestly, if you are using an Applicant Tracking System, there should be no excuse to NOT send rejection e-mails to candidates who weren't selected.[/QUOTE]

I am going to disagree. They have wasted my time by sending in a resume with unverifiable references. They can figure out that they were rejected on their own. I do not make phone calls to try to track down their references, etc. They can do the work prior to applying, but they are not able to get me to do it.

Those who have verifiable information but do not make it through the process, they are told what happened. Those who give bad information, circular file.

You wouldn't Google the correct phone number of the plumber you tried to contact to tell them the info they have on the business card they left was incorrect. I am not tracking down the references for the applicants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,381,040 times
Reputation: 334
[quote=thebunny;25580012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Alright. I do have sympathy for you, but only halfway. While there are a lot of stupid candidates who can't follow the directions or who ignore protocol, consider the vast number who do work hard and send customized resumes and cover letters and still get rejected.

Remember, part of being in HR is dealing with dumb applicants. It's like in retail; while it's not explicitly in the job duties that you'll have to deal with rude or stupid customers, eventually you're going to have to do just that. It sucks, but that's part of the job.

Also, HR should always maintain basic courtesy, even if some of the applicants do not. Honestly, if you are using an Applicant Tracking System, there should be no excuse to NOT send rejection e-mails to candidates who weren't selected.[/QUOTE]

I am going to disagree. They have wasted my time by sending in a resume with unverifiable references. They can figure out that they were rejected on their own.
This is how I am, not getting a response after submitting a job application/resume is one-thing, but not getting a response back after having an interview is another, the part about not responding back after an interview just seems rude, unprofessional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do any of you HR people actually ask that question about what animal would you be and why?

I've been thinking about that and I guess I would fail your interview because honestly, I would be a little incredulous that I was asked that question.

My first thought would be, "How on earth does this apply to this job?" My second thought would be that the interviewer was kidding. I'd probably start laughing...until I saw they weren't laughing. Then I'd go back to incredulous.

This is the kind of question you get when you to a psychologist, not a job interview!
I do all the time. I want to see how the candidate handles being surprised. We are a staffing company that sends people on different assignments. Just today I had to track down a taxi in rural Kansas AND figure out how to connect Bravo so another person could watch Real Housewives in Idaho. If being asked your favorite animal throws you, this definitely will. I need someone who can roll with the punches NOT someone who is stumped when something odd is asked or happens. So I ask the question all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
3,309 posts, read 2,300,698 times
Reputation: 4725
Interesting thread. Any job seeker clueless or unprofessional enough to pull the stunts listed by the OP or a few other posters here, well they deserve their fate. I can totally understand the OP's frustration at dealing with that kind of nonsense. But for every bozo that does the things in OP, there's a hundred or more who do things right, to the absolute best of their abilities, only to be treated poorly, or to be asked such asinine interview questions such as "If you were an ice cream cone, how would you prefer to be eaten: Bitten, licked, or sucked thru the cone"? But yet, the employer does no wrong. These type of threads, while amusing, tend to dump ALL unsuccessful job seekers in with those buffoons listed in the first post, which can create an unfair perception of struggling job seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Reputation: 3129
I didn't say anything of the sort about any job seekers who do not do these things. Nor do I get the impression that people are dumping all unemployed into the same pot.

I merely pointed out the things I am noticing that are more common than you would think, as people...you would think...would be more aware of the difficulties of finding a job in the economy and as such would do all that was within their power to not get ruled out by things in their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,699 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Reputation: 26275
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I do all the time. I want to see how the candidate handles being surprised. We are a staffing company that sends people on different assignments. Just today I had to track down a taxi in rural Kansas AND figure out how to connect Bravo so another person could watch Real Housewives in Idaho. If being asked your favorite animal throws you, this definitely will. I need someone who can roll with the punches NOT someone who is stumped when something odd is asked or happens. So I ask the question all the time.
Then ask them how they would track down a taxi in rural Kansas as that relates to the job.

What kind of animal would I be and why has nothing to do with the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Reputation: 3129
But it does. Well, the question does...And I don't actually care if they answer the question or ever come up with an animal. I just want to see how thrown they are by the question. Does it stop them in their tracks or do they switch gears and try to come up with something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top