U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 AM

22,699 posts, read 16,808,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
But it does. Well, the question does...And I don't actually care if they answer the question or ever come up with an animal. I just want to see how thrown they are by the question. Does it stop them in their tracks or do they switch gears and try to come up with something.
So, what I wrote earlier, my reaction, incredulous then laughing then back to incredulous...once I realized they were serious...I'd pause for a few seconds and come up with something. But my first reaction, would that fail your interview? Because, to be honest, that would throw me..not because I can't come up with an animal but because I wouldn't believe anyone who was about to be my boss would ask me that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
But it does. Well, the question does...And I don't actually care if they answer the question or ever come up with an animal. I just want to see how thrown they are by the question. Does it stop them in their tracks or do they switch gears and try to come up with something.
Agreed. If someone tossed that at me it would take all of one second to come up with an answer.

My answer would a dolphin. I'm intelligent, adaptable, enjoy being part of a team or group, and have great communication skills.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So, what I wrote earlier, my reaction, incredulous then laughing then back to incredulous...once I realized they were serious...I'd pause for a few seconds and come up with something. But my first reaction, would that fail your interview? Because, to be honest, that would throw me..not because I can't come up with an animal but because I wouldn't believe anyone who was about to be my boss would ask me that!
Not at all. If it throws you and you recover, you are good.

My first reaction to the woman calling in unhappy because of a single TV station was to chuckle. After I got off the phone, I actually had to ask my boss where we kept that info as I do not ever handle that area of the business (4:40 pm on a Friday occasionally requires a little thinking out of the box). He said "Are you kidding me" I said "Nope" and we solved her problem.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agreed. If someone tossed that at me it would take all of one second to come up with an answer.

My answer would a dolphin. I'm intelligent, adaptable, enjoy being part of a team or group, and have great communication skills.
Ohhh...I like dolphin. No one has ever given me a dolphin answer.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Ohhh...I like dolphin. No one has ever given me a dolphin answer.
The answer I would give would be wolf. I'll let you decide why.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 AM

18,796 posts, read 9,614,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The answer I would give would be wolf. I'll let you decide why.
My follow up question would be "Why wolf?"

I am going to start using this question. :-)

Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
My follow up question would be "Why wolf?"

I am going to start using this question. :-)
Yes, of course, were I actually asked that question, after I got over laughing, I would say why. But I'm not interviewing with either of you two so I'm not going to give it freely here.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Three Wolves: LOL

Lifeexplorer: I love this question. You will have to let us know if it works for you...I feel it gives me an insight to how someone will respond when they are hit with something unexpected. An old boss of mine used to ask people to sing Happy Birthday to her. That one was funny, although I am not doing that one.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Three Wolves: LOL

Lifeexplorer: I love this question. You will have to let us know if it works for you...I feel it gives me an insight to how someone will respond when they are hit with something unexpected. An old boss of mine used to ask people to sing Happy Birthday to her. That one was funny, although I am not doing that one.
That one is pushing the limits of professionalism in my book. Same with those ridiculous questions like "How many purple paperclips would it take to fill my office?" My answer, "How about I keep shoving purple paperclips down your throat until they come out the other end. I'll extrapolate the data set from the output into a spreadsheet to determine the answer."

Questions only meant to trip someone up are stupid. Questions that can determine an applicants ability to think on their feet AND share insight into their personality (ie which animal are you?) can be quite useful.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Agreed. Your reasoning is why I have never used the Happy Birthday thing. I feel it is embarrassing and that there are other more effective ways to get the same information. Interviews are tough for people, no reason to make it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search